Parents Another round of "Your kid might be a gymnast IF..."

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

When she climbs a rock wall blindfold in record time at the fair, and other kids can barely make it half way. And other parents tell their tween son "look, that 5 year old can climb it why can't you?" My DD was 11.

When she climbs a rock wall blindfold in record time at the fair, and other kids can barely make it half way. And other parents tell their tween son "look, that 5 year old can climb it why can't you?" My DD was 11.
Apologies for inserting a story about myself and not my gymmie, but this reminds me of something that happened to me years ago. I'm a writer and had taken a very dry corporate job (needed the salary and benefits!) that did not suit me at all. I knew I wasn't very good at the job, and everyday ate at my self-esteem. Then one day they had a health fair and one of those climbing towers was set up. I did a lot of rock climbing in those days, and truthfully, the tower wasn't a difficult climb at all, but none of the guys who worked at this company could make it up even a few feet. I was wearing a dress, but had my gym bag in the office so I threw a pair of shorts on under my dress and climbed barefoot. I made it to the top and heard cheering. For the rest of the day people came by my cubical to express amazement that I made it to the top- and it was, literally, the only sense of success I ever had at that company! Always nice to have a few skills that can wow people in your back pocket! :D

When you go to your DD's first grade parent teacher conference and everything she writes about is related to gymnastics, so you demand her to spell it correctly if she's going to write about it all the time. End of the year party in first grade, you see that she now spells it correctly every time.

When you go to your DD's first grade parent teacher conference and everything she writes about is related to gymnastics, so you demand her to spell it correctly if she's going to write about it all the time. End of the year party in first grade, you see that she now spells it correctly every time.
Or when they are doing an "About Me" Timeline and other than birth, every picture / milestone is gymnastics related or gymnastics adjacent (only non-gymnastics thing, she was "stunting" with my older cousin - He was holding her up in the air by her lower legs and she was doing a "gymnast salute" :) )

These made me LOL this morning. I'll play along and add:

-When your DD attends track camp, and after the first sprint the high school coach (who she's never met before) says "you must be a great vaulter".

-When your DD later attempts hurdles, trips, and completes a forward roll to applause and a coach-stated "That was flawless. Why don't you go try long jump?". (And you later get an email asking if your kid is interested in working with a pole vault coach during the school year.)

-when trying to find any clothing that fits DD well leads to a mini-meltdown of my own

-When your DD attends track camp, and after the first sprint the high school coach (who she's never met before) says "you must be a great vaulter".

-When your DD later attempts hurdles, trips, and completes a forward roll to applause and a coach-stated "That was flawless. Why don't you go try long jump?". (And you later get an email asking if your kid is interested in working with a pole vault coach during the school year.)

-when trying to find any clothing that fits DD well leads to a mini-meltdown of my own
My DD did the same thing only caught her foot and did an ariel the coach was really impressed but she never tried hurdles again.

She watches a teenage boy struggle unsuccessfully trying to make a backtuck on the beach sand. Says it looks hard after he leaves. Hesistates when I ask should if she should be doing it and responds with I do it on the beam and then does it without warming up. Skips away cheering that it did not meet with misfortune.

OG does long jump. 3 girls on our team do pole vault for their school.

Clothes - I hear ya. For volleyball, OG needs "nice clothes" to wear to school on game days. We spent FOUR HOURS Tuesday looking. The goal was to find a dress and a few tops. She managed to find 1 top that fit well - a "tank top" with the off the shoulder sleeves.
She looked through the entire Juniors / Misses section of 3 stores. A few times, we both almost said heck with it and ventured to the active wear, lol. The one store was having a really good sale, but we were on our mission.
Luckily, YG is still able to wear some of OG's hand-me-downs and I have a pair of size 1 jeans waiting for her next time she comes over. :)

We will be shopping again in the near future (both girls this time). We are going to try Old Navy.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back