Parents Another thought :Western competition level 9

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gaby

Proud Parent
I see so many level 9 gymnasts try very hard to get on western , then the next year they get to a point where they just burnt out and quit maybe because of too much injuries or other reasons just don’t have fun anymore. I am thinking maybe leting go the Western, and savinvg energy for level 10 is a better route for my dd?

I don't agree with your reasoning. Westerns is not the cause of kids leaving. L9/L10 is hard and for many it just stops being fun for that reason alone. Add to that injuries and the attraction of other teenager interests (social life, wanting to be in other clubs or sports at school) and it is totally understandable that there is attrition at L9. I also don't agree with 'saving energy' for L10. You don't know what the future holds. Holding them back from Westerns will not guarantee your kid will make Nationals (and there's something to be said about Westerns being good prep for the intensity of national meets). Your kid may suddenly decide they want to quit. Or your kid may have an injury at precisely the wrong time for their meet season. In that case, you've just held your kid back for nothing as they may have enjoyed success at Westerns the prior year. You are only dealing with a few precious years in the sport once your kid hits high school.

Just see too many girls get to western, then burnout and quit gymnastics. Don’t know why since they are already very good at it , just feel so Sorry for them !

I guess might be the competition season plus Western competition become so long , becoming very stressful for gymnasts at the end with injuries.

Just see too many girls get to western, then burnout and quit gymnastics. Don’t know why since they are already very good at it , just feel so Sorry for them !
Once again, I don't understand your reasoning. Why do you feel sorry for them? If anything you should feel sorry for them if they are forced to continue when they don't want to.

The possibility of Westerns is a stop on the journey to L10. Some kids get off the stops before. Some kids can get to L10 without stopping at Westerns.

Not understanding your point. Getting to L9 then 10 is a big thing with or without “Nationals”.

Many 8 don’t go to 9. Many 9s don’t got to 10. Heck even more 4s don’t get to 5-7. That’s The nature of the sport

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back