Parents Another thread about blocks

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

The coach last night decided to scratch tramp today. He had a long talk (and a bit of a needed back and forth) about how a block is like a sickness (a flu) or an injury, and he's like the doctor.. and together they will get her well. He did refuse to talk about anything he thought was negative speak, i.e. what if this drags on. He also told DD that he thought she wasn't trying certain times, and why he thought that. She vehemently disagreed but says now she knows what he needs to see on the outside to know she's trying on the inside- so that's a progress of its own, I guess. So, long story short- a stress free meet is coming up today! Whew!

T&T is trampoline, double mini, and power tumbling. You can compete any or all three of them, and different levels on each.

Thanks because I was wondering what the events were as well..........

So I thought I'd come back to this thread rather than start another. My DD went through her worst fear yesterday. Her coach wouldn't scratch her and she couldn't do her routine. She was on the tramp almost a whole minute before he allowed her to salute and get off. She was crying and embarrassed and embarrassed for crying. My poor baby. I felt awful for her. Even worse was that my husband was there- first meet he's been to in a year and a half- and immediately wanted to punish her and pull her off the team. That was an added layer of stress that no one needed. Sigh. It can be so, so hard to be a gym mom.. my heart was breaking for her.

He did but he doesn't. He is traveling again for work already and I'm hoping it just drifts from his mind before he gets home.

Please make your husband listen or read what Dr Alan Goldberg says to parents of gymnasts with blocks. It is NOT the gymnast's fault!! He needs to understand this pronto..... and punishment or anger - even frustration - should be far far from his mind. All he should be doing is giving her love and hugs (like we all know).

(This coming from mother of the kid who has lots of fears and blocks, but over the years we've figured out how to handle it - I will someday have to write a book, I swear. No one would believe what she's been through and how she has persevered.....but we as her parents had to totally back off and let her be, and her coaches did the same but also figured out how to gently help her and gently nudge when the time was right.)

Please make your husband listen or read what Dr Alan Goldberg says to parents of gymnasts with blocks. It is NOT the gymnast's fault!! He needs to understand this pronto..... and punishment or anger - even frustration - should be far far from his mind. All he should be doing is giving her love and hugs (like we all know).

(This coming from mother of the kid who has lots of fears and blocks, but over the years we've figured out how to handle it - I will someday have to write a book, I swear. No one would believe what she's been through and how she has persevered.....but we as her parents had to totally back off and let her be, and her coaches did the same but also figured out how to gently help her and gently nudge when the time was right.)

Please understand that I get what you're saying, but there really is no talking to my husband once he's made up his mind. He is very stubborn and of the "Marine" mentality- you do or you don't- and if you don't then you get out of the way. He 100% does not understand blocks and thinks it is because she just doesn't want to go for it. He won't be joining us at anymore meets for awhile and he knows exactly where I stand on this. My only hope is to keep the argument between he and I and leave my DD out of it.

Sorry that happened. Does your husband direct any frustration towards the coach? How much does he know about your dd's gymnastics career?

Sorry that happened. Does your husband direct any frustration towards the coach? How much does he know about your dd's gymnastics career?

No. He's never even met the coach. He knows everything but only because I tell him- he's not day-to-day involved because he travels 3-4 days a week and works insanely long hours beside.

Not that it matter at this point. Why didn't the coach let her scratch again? When did your dd know she wasn't going to be able to scratch?

Not that it matter at this point. Why didn't the coach let her scratch again? When did your dd know she wasn't going to be able to scratch?

She knew the night before and stressed about it all night and all morning (afternoon session). I don't know why he let her scratch last time and not this. It was clear as day that there was absolutely no way she'd be able to do it.

I know that wasn't your question but.. confused.JPG.

Am I the only one baffled by this?

Reactions: sce

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back