Parents Anxiety, blocks and fears, oh my!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymdadjoe61

Proud Parent
Hi all -

My 13yo L8 gymgirl has been experiencing various blocks since the end of L5, mostly around reverse skills (bhs, bt). She actually can do the skills very well, but gets blocked off and on. She's been able to work thru the blocks, and still do well in competition (L7 state beam champ!). Great coaches, really willing to help her.

This year is a bit tougher for her. She's growing a lot, and having some newer block issues (full and tsuk, mostly, but the giants aren't super consistent either).

After reading a lot of posts, I'm seeing some common threads (ha ha):
- don't push her
- make sure the coaches know how to deal with this (not yelling, for example)
- it'll take time, she has to "get there" herself
- maybe some vestibular component?

Any other advice? She's not in an "I want to quit" place yet, but she's not as happy as she's been, as it's frustrating for her to not get the skills. Might a sports therapist (if I can find one) be an idea?

Thanks!

My DD (14 yo L7) has gone through many mental blocks as well. Check out the Doc Ali (Alison Arnold) website Headgames. She has some great strategies to help gymnasts with mental blocks. My DD did her webcamp a couple of summers ago and it did help her! There is a workbook they use called the Athlete Warrior that she can work through. Mental blocks can be very frustrating for them because they know they can do it but their body won't let them. Its also hard on parents because we want to be able to "fix" it for them, which we can't. Good luck to your DD and let us know how its going for her!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back