Anon Anxiety Medication and Gymnastics

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hi, my daughter really struggles with anxiety and just started a low dose of Zoloft daily. She is currently competing DP level 5. I know you hear of doping rules and restrictions on medications in the high levels but I wondered if there were any restrictions in these lower levels and also if anxiety medication is a restricted medication in any level?

Never have I heard of a drug test at a gymnastics competition below the international level, or competitions to qualify for an international level competition. Does this actually happen in US children’s gymnastics?

Never have I heard of a drug test at a gymnastics competition below the international level, or competitions to qualify for an international level competition. Does this actually happen in US children’s gymnastics?
I suspect so. Otherwise WAG would be basically the only clean sport. To put it into perspective, I knew a number of kids without any shot at all of playing (American) football in college who took anabolic steroids. Why wouldn't a kid who is good enough to make L10 but not good enough to qualify to nationals look for an edge?

Being totally honest, based on what I've seen elite focused training due to people's bodies they probably should take some form of PEDs. Micro dosing Winstrol would shed body fat on a women without the need to cut calories or lose muscle mass. HGH and stem cell injections (the former is banned, the latter I don't know) have been proven effective at speeding up healing after injuries.

Not that I know of... but you still have to follow the rules. I'm sure it would have to be a pretty clear violation for them to order a drug test on a child.

I am actually a prescriber, and in no way should an SSRI like Zoloft have any bearing on athletic performance or be a concern for an athletic event. A controlled substance like a stimulant or benzo might be cause for concern. Honestly though I know dozens of kids on stimulant medication for ADHD and it has never come up as a concern nor have they been drug tested or had to report it.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back