Parents Any advice.. to new parent

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

jls... I definetly agree with the fun part. If it ever becomes to the point that she doesnt enjoy it then it will be time to find something else. And I am being realistic about it, I am not expecting nor am I wanting an olympian. If she does excel and go on to be competitive whether it be USAG team or Rec Team or she continues for fun or she tries something else... it doesnt matter. My one rule in this house is that every child will have one thing at least... whether it be a sport, dance, music, what have you. But they will get involved in something and stay active. I dont tolerate laying around playing video games and watching tv and stuff. Of course they are always allowed their down time and I want them to enjoy their childhood. We all know it doesnt last long enough. But I also dont want to raise a quitter. If its something they love and enjoy I would like them to stick with it. I am not saying they have to be an elite, or sacrifice their childhood. Just stick with something. And know that with anything, as like in life, there will be ups and downs. But yeh just to get it straight. I am not in any way looking for an elite, olympian. Just something for her to have fun at.

I totally agree with you....I think you are approaching everything with the perfect frame of mind. Please know that I am not saying she won't be an Olympian--someone gets to do it :) I was just writing from the perspective of someone who started out very much like you did...and where we are today. (my dd won't be an Olympian, but really wants to compete in college) We never imagined that dd would make it even to this point---I am constantly looking for help and advice from those who have kids a few steps ahead. I hope you didn't take offense...

jls... no I did not take any offense at all. I came here to get advice and see what other people have gone through... since this is all so new to us. I was just stressing the olympian thing so people understood that thats not at all what I have in mind. As selfish as this might sound, I dont want her to go that far. Competitive yes, college, that would be awesome, but no more. And again that is going to be up to her as the years go by. But with 4 other children to worry about I will not let any of them "go without" for one child. I hope that didnt come off wrong. But I want them all to have their own chance of doing something and excelling at it. I am just at a state of mind that we will see what happens. But definetly worried about the 9 hours a week over the summer. Mainly for her health. But luckily our coach is really laid back and agrees with me, that we will see how she does and she can come as much or as little but no less than 2 hours a week. Our coach wants it to be fun, not work... of course our coaches arent training the "elite".
But again I thank you for your advice, and no offense was taken at all.

Well at least you are aware of the commitment and time. When my daughter started out on preteam I was not even thinking she will be on the team next year and competeing, I was unaware of the expense, the travel time and the hours of training. If I had a clue I think I would of steered her into the direction of gymnastics at the local rec center. If you have an idea of what your getting into maybe you will be better prepared. We are also in Northeastern PA, I pay over 4,000 dollars a year for training and competition fees. The meets are really far sometimes about 3 hours away and they last for about 4-5 hours. My daughter has to practice 4 days a week and 5 in the summer she only has time for a dance class 1x a week and she misses lots of birthday parties. She is a level 4 who just became a level5. Our gym does not have a rec team. The problem is since I started this she loves it and I could not take it away from her she has lots of friends in the gym has fun competiting and has become very responsible and mature from the sport.
As for your step daughter I can relate my oldest daughter also tried gymnastics and she was 9 the youngest was 5 and my 5 year old who is on the team was better and could do more. My oldest daughter has moved on she swims does piano and dance. She is very jealous of her younger sister being on the team and she resents gymnastics and says thats all I care about. I do try to show an interest in her activities but the gymnastics is so time consuming. I think if the older one was one the team it would be harder to spend time with her younger sister. With having just 2 kids it is a major balancing act I can not imagine having 5, I would just take it one day at a time. I think it is great how supportive you are and if your daughter really loves gymnastics maybe you can make it work.

wow, that sounds so complicated! I agree fully that dd should continue regardless of how sd is doing. it's great you've tried so many things with sd and eventually she will find her thing or maybe not. I have learned that gymnasts tend to be unique in their focus. Course they have to be because of the sport but other kids just like to keep trying different things and one has to remember that's probably more normal. If there is a normal.:) It took me a while to realize that because my first is a very focused gymnast and i remember wondering when my son was going to pick a sport. Well, he's thirteen now and tried almost every sport there is and just likes to do a sport in it's season @ school. He's more of a science guy anyway so he's found his nitch.

DD's hours are about average for a starting gymnast. I think you did the right thing in picking the more competitive gym becauses switching later is hard. You've given her the best chance to succeed. Car pools are a huge help as are grand parents if they go along with your choices. I used to hire a teenager who lived across the street to watch my son while i did the gym drives. That way he got to sleep when he needed to and the teenager was happy to come over do her homework while he slept and leave after an hour and a half. It all works eventually. Just don't plan it out then it never works:)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back