Parents Any dd's that were WAG, transitioned into T&T

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My DD transitioned very successfully. She was a good solid competitor in WAG, but definitely her weakness was the dancy parts of the compulsory routines. She was set to compete level 7 and had most level 8 skills at age 11. Even at 6/7 years old, she was very muscular and strong so power was her thing. In T&T, tumbling and double mini have been very good for her. Trampoline, not so much. She has lots of skills, but keeping a routine in the middle of the tramp is challenging for her. She transitioned into level 8 for tumbling and double mini (they can start at level 7 and move up from there). Tramp I think she was level 6 or 7. They changed all of the routines for this coming season so the levels are a little different now. One wonderful aspect is that she trains a lot less. That has given her the opportunity to do other sports in addition to T&T as well as music, art, etc. She never really had any injuries so I don't have a comment on that, but I imagine it is easier on their bodies by decrease in hours alone.

My son transitioned from MAG to T&T. He broke his arm in two places and continues to have issues with his wrists. So, he could no longer do MAG. He switched to T&T, and he only did tramp and double mini. Tumbling was painful, but with T&T he could leave it out and still progress.

He never had any injuries with T&T. I think the lower hours were easier on his joints. When he got to high school, he switched over to diving.

My DD started WAG Level 2 , did both WAG XB and Level 5 T&T for a year and then chose T&T. She was 8. She did not really have any injuries in WAG. The main thing she liked about T&T was the ability to be different levels on the different events. Though she was the same level on all 3 for the first 2 years. This will be her 4th year and she just turned 11. She has needed PT for some knee and shoulder issues but nothing major.

Mine tried, but it was way too hard on the lower back for them to continue.
Yes, have heard this from others who tried to transition. But all of those I know had quit WAG partly because of back issues. Would be curious to know if T&T athletes develop back issues at a lower, higher or same rate as WAG.

DD was a repeating L4 WAG when she transitioned. Did TU 6, and TR/DM both 7 her first year, qualified for nationals in all three. This year she is 7/8/8, hoping for a push to 8 on tumbling at some point in the season. Worried about the new scoring, but DD found her passion. She hated dance, and doesn't miss beam at all.

DD was a repeating L4 WAG when she transitioned. Did TU 6, and TR/DM both 7 her first year, qualified for nationals in all three. This year she is 7/8/8, hoping for a push to 8 on tumbling at some point in the season. Worried about the new scoring, but DD found her passion. She hated dance, and doesn't miss beam at all.
Wow! Thats awesome.

just curious, but was she repeating 4 mainly due to beam and bars?

i wish we had a T&T gym near us but nothing. one gym is starting a rec program for boys only with the hopes of competing. my kiddo loves the trampoline. she could stay in the gym doing all the tumbling she loves but still have time for other sports. i think she'd miss bars but vault and beam, not so much. although she's thrilled with getting her series and competing it successfully (although not the prettiest) at her first meet.

just curious, but was she repeating 4 mainly due to beam and bars?
Beam - no backwalkover yet. Not bars. And confidence, honestly. Her L4 season was a cluster in a lot of ways. Gym switch. Lost kip beginning of the season only to gain it back JUST in time to compete. Lost her cartwheel mid season (mental block). Barely qualified for state. Did really well at State but was mentally not ready to move up.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back