WAG Any experience with a scaphoid fracture?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

tpMom

Proud Parent
Hi Everyone,

DD fell onto her outstretched hand at school during recess and there is a suspicion of a scaphoid fracture. We'll see the orthopedist tomorrow.

While I was consulting Dr. Google (haha) this evening, I read that this type of fracture is also a relatively common gymnastics overuse injury so I thought I'd come here and see if anyone has any experience with it. What was the treatment, how long were they out of practice, were there any long lasting side effects that I should know about? The pediatric orthopedists are good, but I don't know how familiar they are with treating gymnasts. I'd like to have whatever information I can to advocate for her best possible care tomorrow.

I had a scaphoid fracture in college from a fall and it was a long slow recovery. I was a diver not a gymnast but it was a huge deal because the area doesn’t have good blood supply and often has issues with healing. I was in a thumb spica cast for 6 weeks and then a thumb spica splint for another 6 weeks with pt. I hope you have quicker healing!!!!

I also had one in college. And yes, I was in a cast for 12 weeks because of the low blood flow to that area. Having said that, I have zero long standing issues.

I’m not and never have been a gymnast but had a scaphoid fracture as a teenager and as said above due to low blood flow they don’t always heal well and I didn’t wear my splint as long as I was meant to as wanted to get back to sport, I had niggling issues with it but because I didn’t want to go into a cast again I didn’t say anything and put up with it and then about a year later I fractured my scaphoid again although they suspect in never fully healed from the first fracture, they were considering surgery second time around but due to other health reasons they had to delay surgery and then with proper rest it did heal and I’ve had no more issues since, so I would say don’t try to rush the recovery time.

I am not a gymnast either but had the same fracture as an adult. It took about two years for wrist flexibility to come back to 90% (still can't get it flat) I had surgery that included inserting a temporary pin. I got the fracture from sticking out my arm while bracing a fall as well. Did PT for 3 months right after surgery and the surgeon said it may never be the same without a follow up surgery.

Ugh thanks guys for the very reassuring stories:)o_O! They didn't see a fracture on the x-rays today but the doctors are still pretty concerned because her symptoms are usually very indicative of a scaphoid injury and these fractures are hard to see in pediatric cases. We're treating with a hard brace and complete rest for a week - and we'll redo x-rays next week to look for new bone growth, unless her symptoms have resolved by then!

Ugh thanks guys for the very reassuring stories:)o_O! They didn't see a fracture on the x-rays today but the doctors are still pretty concerned because her symptoms are usually very indicative of a scaphoid injury and these fractures are hard to see in pediatric cases. We're treating with a hard brace and complete rest for a week - and we'll redo x-rays next week to look for new bone growth, unless her symptoms have resolved by then!

I think you are smart to treat as a fracture for now because my fracture didn’t show up on X-ray either until new bone growth. I hope it’s no big deal! Good luck!

How long did it take between the 2 xrays for the injury to show up? The more I read about this the more I wish they had put her in a cast instead of a brace. I would hate for a missed diagnosis to keep her out of practice for longer than necessary.

I would be looking for a CT scan if they are saying it is hard to see this type of injury on xray in peds. Not worth risking missing the fracture. Obviously if she is feeling better in a week then you likely are in the clear for a fracture but if it is still hurting, I would push for the CT scan.

My son has broken his scaphoid. He is a gymnast but didn't hurt it in the gym. He fell down the stairs. He was xrayd the night he did it, but it didn't show the fracture then. It was 2 weeks and 2 xrays later that the bone growth was enough to see. 8 weeks in the brace then physio. It took about 4 months before he was fully training on it, and some things still didn't feel right. The doctors couldn't find anything else so he was cleared to train. That was the start of 3 years of issues with the wrist slowly but surely getting worse. We did many more doctors visits and tests, but got no ansewrs. He took time off twice, things got better but would get bad again when he returned to using it. He had to stop training, but it still got worse. By the end he wasn't able to do up buttons or turn a doorknob with his left hand. Turns out he did some additional damage when he fell that was missed at the time. If it was just the scaphoid he probably would have been good in 4 months, but for him it was surgery 3 years later, then 8 months of recovery.

If we could do it over again (knowing what I know now) I would change a couple things. First being I would ask that it be a cast not a brace. I think taking the brace off and on to shower slowed down the healing. I also never felt confident that the peace was perfectly positioned just right every time. And since he still had pain after the bone healed - he had to deal with doctors that questioned him on weather he cheated and took the brace off when he shouldn't have. The second would be to keep pushing for answers if it doesn't feel right after the bone healed. We did keep going to the doctors for it when it got bad, but didn't fight when they said they couldn't see anything wrong. It wasn' until things were REALLY bad that we started pushing harder.
I really hope it turns out to not be a fracture- but keep treating it as if it is one until they are absolutely sure.

I broke my scaphoid and radial tip. Problem was I was in South America at the time. They casted me there up past my elbow after I refused the surgery there. When I got back a week later I saw an ortho in the US. Took the cast off and gave me the choice of 8 weeks casted (shorter cast) and then in a brace, or surgery. I picked the 8 weeks casted as the end recovery was the same about of time. I can feel it sometimes still and that was 8 years ago.

Ortho said with an athlete they usually suggest getting the surgery to make sure it is lined up and healed perfectly.

I know absolutely nothing about this injury, but wanted to send condolences and say how sorry I am, especially because I remember your post about how she was on that beam with her series...I am sure it’s very hard for both of you right now. Thinking healing thoughts and sending strength to both of you.

I know absolutely nothing about this injury, but wanted to send condolences and say how sorry I am, especially because I remember your post about how she was on that beam with her series...I am sure it’s very hard for both of you right now. Thinking healing thoughts and sending strength to both of you.
Thank you for these kind words. She seems to be doing okay with it. If there is a "good time " in gymnastics to get injured this seems to be it. Competition season is over, summer training hasn't started, and she just finished level 5, so having a break before level 6 isn't such a huge deal.

She'll go back in for another x-ray on Wednesday and we'll just go from there. There's still a chance that it isn't broken. At this point I'm more concerned about her health and the mobility of her hand than I am about any sport she might be a part of!

Thank you for these kind words. She seems to be doing okay with it. If there is a "good time " in gymnastics to get injured this seems to be it. Competition season is over, summer training hasn't started, and she just finished level 5, so having a break before level 6 isn't such a huge deal.

She'll go back in for another x-ray on Wednesday and we'll just go from there. There's still a chance that it isn't broken. At this point I'm more concerned about her health and the mobility of her hand than I am about any sport she might be a part of!
Yes this is way more important

Not a scaphoid, but my DD is currently in a cast for a stress fracture on her growth plate in her wrist and most likely a lunate bone fracture. I have read that all those wrist bones can have poor blood flow, but her doctor seems to think she will be good as new after 7 weeks total healing (she was in a brace for 3 weeks before the growth plate fracture was confirmed via MRI and now has 4 weeks in a cast). Sending good thoughts your way and you are absolutely right that her healing is more important than the sport right now!

we treat suspected and documented scaphoid fractures the same in the first 2-4 weeks since that bone is such an "at risk" place. thumb Spica splint or cast is appropriate. the recovery/healing is long and I agree with expecting 8-12 weeks.

We had a kid damage her lunate bone outside the gym. Doc said it was dying and they couldn't do much. She went and had acupuncture done, along with some other holistic stuff and competed fully this season. Even though it' a diffrent injury, blood flow was the issue. Acupuncture was a big help with that.

Happy day! Second x-ray came back negative and DD has been cleared to ease back into practice. We are so lucky she only had to miss 2 weeks instead of 12!

This is great news! I hope she transitions back into practice smoothly!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back