WAG Any reason not to do a Pak?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

k3mom

Proud Parent
I realize that my opinion doesn't really matter in all of this, (its up to my daughter and her coaches), but I'm just curious. My daughter is a level 10 and she is really struggling to get a major release. Her jaeger was looking really good, but then she started hitting the bar and has now developed a real fear issue with it. One of her coaches decided to have her try paks. She loves them and they're already looking really good. I know the problem with paks can be getting turned back around, but he is confident she'll be fine with that. Her other coach insists that she should not be doing it and colleges will not like it. I'm not sure if this matters, but she was scoring in the low to mid 9's last year just doing a bail (maybe to handstand, maybe not) and a toe to high (I think that's what it's called). Coach number one thinks she'll be scoring 9.7s or above this year with this pak. I'm thinking if I was a college looking at a kid that was scoring 9.7 on her bar routine, I wouldn't really care how she got it, but I really have no idea how this all works. She'll also compete a full twisting double lay dismount this year. I'm wondering if maybe an impressive dismount might negate the fact that she's not doing a super-impressive release. What do you think?

Here is the deduction she may face in college on uneven bars:

f. Choice of elements not up to competitive level...............flat 0.1
1. Choice of element "up to the competitive level" will now be defined by the following basic standards:
- A single bar release with a minimum of "D" value
- OR a release move valued as an "E"
- OR minimum of two "D" releases
- OR minimum two "E" level skills

So if she doesn't have a single bar release, she essentially needs to have a "D" low to high release to go with her "D" high to low pak, like Kyla Ross does with her Maloney(D) to bail handstand(D). A pak(D) and a toe-on to high bar(C) is not enough.

If she does a bail to HS (D) and a pak (D), she'd have no deduction for "up to level." Maybe the coach is planning for lots of bar changes. It would be a long routine though, but you could certainly get a 10 SV with no comp deductions.

Why don't they just fix the jeager ??? Or teach her a shaposh to bail? But in any case I guess a pak will be fine but they are pretty complex.

Sort of on this topic but I am confused. I thought a Pak was required for L9? (or a bail or a shoot over) then for L10 you need a release move like a Gienger, Tachatchev, yeager etc. So in 10 you need both not one or the other? Or is this just a gym my daughter goes to requirement?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back