Parents Any suggestions for full turn on the beam?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Both OG and YG struggled with the full turn on beam. FOr OG, it was a fear issue after a bad fall a few years ago. For YG, it was just a struggle to get it (so she left it out her first season as Xcel Gold and just took the reduced SV).

What helped BOTH of them was to start with 1/2 turns. Once they could do 20 perfect 1/2 turns in a row (low beam, medium beam, high beam), they moved to 20 1/2 turn-1/2 turn in a row. Then they moved to 20 full turns with foot down in back (if needed). Then they moved to the proper full turns. It took time, but they both got there.

I've seen drills with the beam ending against the wall.....gymnast starts with palms open with hands on the wall - then does the full turn with the objective of laying the palms back on the wall.......the wall gives a bit of security.

Half turns. Full turns on the low beam. Full turn contests against team mates or preferably two teams against one another - it's amazing how a little competition and pressure from the team can make you WANT to stay on the beam much more. Full turns are actually quite scary and many gymnasts don't even want to put their foot on the beam after the turn.

Some of our gymnasts have had better luck with doing the full turn another way. Instead of facing the end of the beam they are facing out, like in a side pose (towards the judges if you were at a competition) and they start and finish their full turn in that position instead. It has helped many of our girls! I don't think it would work for compulsories but it should be fine for Xcel or optionals.

Some of our gymnasts have had better luck with doing the full turn another way. Instead of facing the end of the beam they are facing out, like in a side pose (towards the judges if you were at a competition) and they start and finish their full turn in that position instead. It has helped many of our girls! I don't think it would work for compulsories but it should be fine for Xcel or optionals.

DD says that is how she plans to do herd next year because it is much easier for her

What helped my dd: making sure weight is over the front foot when taking off, pulling up and holding tension in the body and arms during the turn.

Wow! Thank you so much my chalk bucket friends. I really appreciate all the suggestions, I will pass them on. Fortunately it's not a fear issue but she is in compulsory so she can't switch sides. Thank you again for all the ideas.

Until very recently we laughed that the skill that would be named after Dd was a possuminsky after all the amazing body contortions she went through saving/ attempting to save that darn full & other turns on beam!!

She practised and practised 1/2 turns, then full turns maybe a million times at home, in the supermarket and I'm quite convinced in her sleep!!

So definitely practise and more practise. And being very defined with the accompanying arm movements.

Dd thinks that her core strength has eventually caught up- she was a late starter to gym; but this is only partly the reason as some gymnasts are en pointe with their turns from the beginning.

Think the best advice is to stay positive and not let the gymnast become too focused on the one skill- all too easy to let the other great beam skills not be acknowledged as they struggle with turns.

Good luck and she will eventually get it!

Thank you auswi.....your post made me giggle because I can just picture your dd in the produce isle doing full turns in between the apples and the broccoli :rolleyes:

I read all the wonderful posts you all wrote to dd and she stuck every turn tonight at practice!! Thank you again everyone.

My dd still likes to mention how gabby Douglas fell on her full turn at the Olympics (or trials...or something).....
It's just one of those skills......I always hope mine misses during the warm up at a meet. That usually means she will hit it when it counts.

Funny you should write that....DD fell at the in house meet during the warm up but did stick it when she was being judged.

And btw Auswi, we went out for carvel ice cream tonight and DD did about 500 full turns on the line on the floor while we were ordering our desert. Gymnasts are so entertaining!!

Ummm.... Dancer here. How about using a spot? That's how dancers do multiple turns. Really, it's very useful. Our gym teaches it. Not sure why others don't. Try the technique.

Another dancer here. We teach them to spot too. My dd spots the end of the beam and when she's on floor something on the wall or a teammate. Works like a charm.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back