Off Topic Any surfers??

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Nikki4

Proud Parent
If so I need some help.
my gymnast wants a surf board for Christmas and I have no idea where to start.
We live within driving distance of the Gulf of Mexico and have a condo there. So generally small 3 ft waves. She’s been interested in surfing for awhile. She stood up numerous times this summer on a body/boogie board. I don’t know if we still need to start her with a beginner board. She tends to skip right past the beginner stage of everything because of gymnastics lol. She skateboards too.

I would suggest talking to a surfing instructor or a specialty store (they are usually good about NOT just trying to talk you into the most expensive board, but genuinely want to help pick what would be the best for the given surfer).

You probably want to get one of the "fun" boards to start they are like a hard foam. They are easier to learn on and a bit safer too (if you get bonked with one in the water not as hard). We did one lesson last year and thats what they teach you on. We just got one for our girls for Christmas too. they are 8 (48" tall) and 11 about (54" tall) and both could handle the 7 foot board pretty good with minimal help in the water. We bought a 7 foot fun board. This is the one we got. If you go shorter thats better for tricks etc. https://www.realwatersports.com/pro...uOWS06Rubcgvvsgpgw1gXu2wFgRKy6lcaAhukEALw_wcB

You can get a "real" board but it will be double the cost and then if they dont end up surfing very long youre out double the money lol. You can also resell the fun boards or real boards through the surf shops or online yardsale/craigslist too if she outgrows it (wants a real board or a different style after she gets the basics down) A "real" board will probably be in the $600+ range the fun boards are like $275-$300

Id get a wet suit or rash guard to go with it and some surf wax as well.

Not entirely sure how to post videos on here but if you PM me your email I can email you videos of both girls surfing on the "fun" boards this summer so you can see how they handled it in the water. Its high quality board its not what you think when you think "foam"

The longer boards are easier to paddle and more stable, the shorter boards are easier to cut on but the challenge of paddling on them and trying to catch waves are less fun for most beginners.

If so I need some help.
We live within driving distance of the Gulf of Mexico and have a condo there. So generally small 3 ft waves. She’s been interested in surfing for awhile. She stood up numerous times this summer on a body/boogie board. I don’t know if we still need to start her with a beginner board. She tends to skip right past the beginner stage of everything because of gymnastics lol. She skateboards too.
My daughter started surfing during Covid, used a foam board for a week. She’s older though, and in CA, so surfed everyday. See if you can rent a foam board and then decide, you may also find a used board from someone who’s outgrown it.
If so I need some help.
my daughter picked up surfing during covid shutdown, she’s older, used a foam board for a week before going to a short high performance board, we are in CA, half a block from the beach, so during the time off surfed all day and once gym resumed, surfed after gym, everyday. I would rent or borrow a foam board, see how they do and then look for a used board. If they like it, buy a new one and have the surf shop help you out.

My daughter says the type of waves will likely determine the size of board more than her ability to pick it up quickly. Like doublestrike’s kdaughter my kid went from a longer fun board to a shorter board here in CA. But The small, slow waves of the gulf may mean a longer board could be good long term, even if she takes to surfing easily. Talking to a surf shop on the gulf would be a good idea.

We are on the east coast and typically have no big waves so thats why I recommended the longer foam board. you can surf practically anything with those.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back