Anybody Else Start Late?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I've been doing gymnastics for 4 years... 2 of the years I was in recreational gymnastics, and in those 2 years I got to the highest level. Which wasn't very impressive. So then I switched gyms so I could do competitive gymnastics.

Of course, I was not accustomed to new, harder skills and more diligent training, so it took me forever to catch up to the "pre-team" group that I am still in. I'm getting better and better, but I'm still in pre-team. I need to get to Level 4 to be on my gym's team... right now I'm Level 3 and 4. I have some level 4 skills but I'm still trying to get some level 3 skills.

Anyway, my friends (same age as me) are doing all these fancy round-off back tucks and that stuff while I just got my back walkover and my back hip circle.

I've never wanted to compete in the Olympics or something crazy like that. I only wanted to get to, well, States or something. And although I'm a bit old for my level, it doesn't bother me, and I'm trying my hardest to get on the team soon.

Anybody else start late like me? And do you do competitive or recreational gymnastics? Just wondering. :)

Last edited:
I started late too :) I began classes when I was 9 and then moved up to pre-team in about a month. Now I have been doing gym for 4 years and I'm a level 8.

You're lucky you didn't start at a bad gym. :) My first gym taught me NOTHING. All we did for 1 1/2 hours were handstand forward rolls. We weren't even allowed to use the vault OR the high beams!
I started late too :) I began classes when I was 9 and then moved up to pre-team in about a month. Now I have been doing gym for 4 years and I'm a level 8.

I started gymnastics about 1.5 yr. ago. I am 14 yrs old. Because of my age, I chose to do prep - opt which I am in intermediate. This means my current skill level is mostly 6 but missing a few skills.

Contrats on your progress, and good decision on switching gyms.

I started at age 8/9 and worked through the begining levels in half a year, was pre-team my first yearand stayed there for a couple years. did a year of training for level 5 (skipping 4) then got injured forcing me to compete another year of 5, then spent the summer training levl 7 got injured didn't compete last season and while still recovering from injury my coach suspects ill compete level 7 half a season and level 8 half a season, depending where my skills are when I return, i am currently 14 (15 on the 10th of June!)

I started gymnastics late as well!
I'm currently 17 years old and started around the age of 13. But due to the cost I had to stop for 2 years so I've only been taking for 3 years.
I have all my level 4, 5 and most of my 6 skills. Just not that dreadful kip haha.

Just keep working hard and be sure to ignore the fact that your the oldest. In the long run as long as your having fun and enjoy it age doesn't matter!!

I've been doing gymnastics for a year and a half! It doesn't matter if your friends are ding RO-BT, jsut as long as you're having fun and doing the best that you can do! I'm in P2- sort of like level 5 and 6. Don't be too hard on yourself!

I started gymnastics at 7 which in comparison to when my friends started is extremely late (most of them started before they were a year old). I trained at a recreational gym for 4 years starting in level 1 (ughhh...so boring!) and then moved to a competitive gym because I wanted to compete. (Sadly this gym closed within 2 weeks of my arrival) I did find a good competitive gym that hasn't closed yet and I've been there since March of 2005. I've quickly moved through the levels moving from level 4 in my first year to training level 9 right now (competed level 8 this Spring).

I started late too! I only got into rec gymnastics when I was 12, but was invited to go competitive when I was 16. (I pretty much sucked when I was 12 but I loved gym so much I begged to go more and always gave it my all when I was in the gym). I just finished my second year in competitive and am staying for another year. I'm pretty sure that at nearly 19, I'm the oldest female competitive gymnast at my gym. The girls I train with are 12-16, which sometimes drives me crazy because I feel like I should be hanging out with people more my own age, but I'm there for the gymnastics not the socializing (mostly anyways. I get along better with my coach actually, who's only 4 years older than me!)
Don't worry about starting late. I wish I'd started a bit earlier but really, all the girls who have been doing gym since they were tiny are getting bored with it and retiring, while I still want to be in the gym 24/7 :)

Hi I'm a late starter too, i started when i was 15 and started in a rec class that i outgrew on the first day :p after 6 training sessions i moved straight to level 4 and about a year and a bit later (i had just turned 15 at the time and now i am 16) i have all my level 5 and most of my level 6 skills except on bars (which i have dropped as it is allowed in the competitions i enter)

I started gymnastics at 7 which in comparison to when my friends started is extremely late (most of them started before they were a year old). I trained at a recreational gym for 4 years starting in level 1 (ughhh...so boring!) and then moved to a competitive gym because I wanted to compete. (Sadly this gym closed within 2 weeks of my arrival) I did find a good competitive gym that hasn't closed yet and I've been there since March of 2005. I've quickly moved through the levels moving from level 4 in my first year to training level 9 right now (competed level 8 this Spring).
I know! You never do ANYTHING fun in recreational. I skipped level 1 in it, and went straight to level 2, moving up levels fast but never learning anything.

I know! You never do ANYTHING fun in recreational. I skipped level 1 in it, and went straight to level 2, moving up levels fast but never learning anything.

I agree, i started in a 'senior rec' class and my god it was shocking, most of them were learning to cartwheel on the floor, i was learning to cartwheel on the beam and i was like well this is stupid so the coach suggested i started competing.

If my first gym wasn't so cautious, I would already be in like level 6. But because they wouldn't let us use vault OR high beam, that was not possible.

That gym was no fun. SO glad I switched!!

I started when I was 11, and did rec for 5 months.. Then competed USAG level 4, for 1 year... Im 12 now and level 6 (skipped 5)!
I started a really bad gym too...and sadly Im still there! Switching after season to speed up this process, and help me reach my goals!

I started when I was 11, and did rec for 5 months.. Then competed USAG level 4, for 1 year... Im 12 now and level 6 (skipped 5)!
I started a really bad gym too...and sadly Im still there! Switching after season to speed up this process, and help me reach my goals!
Sounds like a better gym than my first gym, if you got to level 4 after 5 months. For me, after 2 years I got to like level 2, which they called Level 6. Apparently for them, level 6 recreational is only level 2 competitive.

Sounds like a better gym than my first gym, if you got to level 4 after 5 months. For me, after 2 years I got to like level 2, which they called Level 6. Apparently for them, level 6 recreational is only level 2 competitive.

I went to open gym, and got the skills.... I also worked A TON at home, the gym didn't really do anything

Oh cool! I only get open gym at my gymnastics camp, which is only 5 days long, and 18 days away... and I have to miss "swimming" which is like the BEST PART, it only happens one of the days, but I have to miss it to go to ballet class.

No, I'm not serious with ballet. It's fun, and I do it for 2 reasons. 1) I enjoy it, and 2) it helps me with gymnastics- especially balance and grace.

ANYWAY... we train for... um... 45 minutes or so for each event then we have an hour session to go practice whatever. That's my favorite part. :D

I started when I was 11 at a bad,bad gym.
They taught me absolutely nothing,but I stayed there 3 years.
Now I'm in another gym,wich is excellent,I improved so much.
But I'm 15 and still a level 6.

Well, I won't be in level 6 til I'm 15 so we're about even. Lol!

Yeah... not all gyms out there are so great. I'm glad you switched though! :D

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back