Parents Anyone else have a DD doing prep op in region 8?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

UnoMas

Proud Parent
My older DD is competing prep op gold this season. She is learning all kinds of new skills and doing all kinds of new moves...and it is very overwhelming and confusing! My girls have always done compulsory so I have always known just what they were supposed to be doing and what stuff was supposed to look like (well, sort of anyway).

Now I am just seriously confused. I was watching her try a beam mount yesterday that she made up herself. She is also picking out tumbling passes, leap series on beam, etc. It's all blowing my mind! I totally trust her coaches but it is weird not knowing what is going on...not knowing what things are supposed to look like. It is also really weird to me that she does not have routines yet (she will be doing floor choreography in a week or so).

Anyone else have a DD doing prep op in region 8? :) I would love a buddy!

Shoot we are Region 5...and we are thinking of moving to Prep Op this year.
Can I ask...did you just tell the coaches you want to move or did they approach you?

So glad she is doing Prep Op! My DD did it for a year, it was great.

Just like you didn't know anything when you started compulsories, you'll catch up with the individualized routines too! She will have a blast this season!

PS. I definitely find it's better if I don't know too much! Trust her coaches and things will work out just fine!

Shoot we are Region 5...and we are thinking of moving to Prep Op this year.
Can I ask...did you just tell the coaches you want to move or did they approach you?

Well, she was slated to repeat L5 at her old gym, but we switched gyms and the coaches decided she did not need to repeat 5 and that prep gold was the best place for her to compete this season. While competing prep gold, she is trying to learn the skills for L6 so she can hopefully "score out" of 6 and go to 7 at some point. We'll see. For now she is ecstatic about doing new things! I am REALLY happy to have prep op as an option!

So glad she is doing Prep Op! My DD did it for a year, it was great.

Just like you didn't know anything when you started compulsories, you'll catch up with the individualized routines too!

Good point. I certainly had no idea what she was supposed to be doing way back when she started in level ONE! :) It will just take some getting used to. And I can still watch younger DD doing the L4 stuff, which I know really well by now! :)

That's awesome! I loved watching my dd do prep op this winter. We are region 8, but my dd will be doing prep op silver in the winter. She will do level 4 in the fall.

My dd will be platinum in region 8 this year. Not sure what state you're in but this will at least give you a guideline. It is the NC rules for prep-op. Last year, NC streamedlined to be more inline with Region rules. They used to have more advanced skills in each levels but it became a problem when our teams would go out of state to compete. http://www.mylucky777.com/Home/GetPrepAttachment?attachmentID=2

You will get the hang of it once the season gets underway. You will tend to see most girls performing the same "big" skills for each level and then personalize the routines. Don't worry about not having routines yet. Remember that their season doesn't start until January. She has plenty of time. this time is skill building time. Routines come later.

Glad you found the right for her! My dd will be learning the level 5 and 6 routines next summer to test out in the fall and go to 7 in the winter. she already has all the skills for the levels, it's just a matter of devoting the time to learn the routines. Right now she really needs to focus on perfecting her platinum skills.

Alex will either do Prep Op or Level 7 this season (if she can get her giants) but we are in Region 4. We can still hang right? Missouri is set up differently as we only have 1 prep op level and it is somewhere inbetween Level 6 and 7. It should be a fun season having individual routines!! I agree that it can be confusing. Our kids have not started working on routines at all yet. Right now it's all uptraining!

Alex will either do Prep Op or Level 7 this season (if she can get her giants) but we are in Region 4. We can still hang right? Missouri is set up differently as we only have 1 prep op level and it is somewhere inbetween Level 6 and 7. It should be a fun season having individual routines!! I agree that it can be confusing. Our kids have not started working on routines at all yet. Right now it's all uptraining!

Oh yeah! You can hang with me anytime!!! :)
I have been keeping up with all of Alex's wonderful progress! So happy for her! That would be super cool if she could get those giants. My DD is still scared of them, which I guess is fine/normal when you consider that a month ago the plan was for her to repeat L5 and she never uptrained at all!
I am hoping for a really fun season. Last season was a struggle for DD for many reasons, and I think it was a lot more frustration than fun. :(

Remember that their season doesn't start until January. She has plenty of time. this time is skill building time. Routines come later.

Our prep op. season starts in the fall.... not everyone does optionals/prep op in the spring.... At least not yet.

Yes, the girls' first meet this year is in November and the season runs through March. Still plenty of time...I hope! :)

we are in R8 as well. My DD will compete Prep Gold or Platinum starting in January.She will compete L5 in the fall. Our gym does both. mostly for the girls to have fun with their skills & own routines in the spring. ghey really enjoy it. Bet your DD has a blast.

We are in Region 8. My daughter is training L7, but we have a large group of prep op girls at our gym. The Region 8 website has a link to the Region 8 prep op rules which includes the skills required and allowed at each level. They are keeping the same rules as last year, which should make it less confusing at least for this year. Best wishes to your daughter, It seems like a great program.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back