Anyone else think that COVID brought the end of gym for your gymnast?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Ugh--13 is bad enough. Are you saying 14 is even worse?
I thought 13 was way worse, but it was first year of middle school, an injury, puberty.

now she is just a typical teen. Lippy at times. She’s a triplet, she has her awesome self, her lippy, know it all self and whiny nothing is good self...

business as usual......with accompanying sighs, eye rolls, huffing and puffing, hissy fitting...... teen crud

She does need to get out, because this crud is seriously not good for her mental health.

We were back in the gym this week, after 7 weeks off (in New Zealand).
We were lucky to have zoom sessions Mon - Fri mornings and her level and up had 3 afternoons a week too.
Wasn't strictly conditioning, they did floor beam stuff, vault shaping, handstand /bar drills etc.
We have lost 2, possibly 3 out of her group of 10. One was finishing at end of this year anyway, the other didn't want to compete just train this year (very talented kid), the other isn't confirmed but hasn't been back in the gym yet and didn't do many zooms. She's teenage age, my daughter is only ten, which I think has helped.

She didn't love the zooms, but she did every single one. It's certainly helped.

I'll be interested to see how many others have left from surrounding gyms.

I how you guys get back in to the gyms as soon as you safely can. Our girls are only doing basic glide and tap swings so far on bars and ask complaining of sore hands!! Going to be long road back to giants etc I think!!

I coach Xcel which is used at my gym for older starters and girls who want to participate in activities besides just gymnastics. They are primarily age 12-15. I fully expect that half of the girls I coach will never return.

Several of them have said during meet season that they only do gymnastics because it's where their non-school friends are. I imagine this will show them that they can keep in touch with their gym friends in other ways and thus participate in more school activities.

There will also be a group who won't like that being back will start with a big chunk of conditioning, flexibility, and basics instead of diving right in to learning new skills (which is typically what summer is about - learning new skills). We're looking at probably no reopening until July so that will be 3.5 months off with minimal Zooms; it's not safe to start back up where people left off but telling a teenager that and not being able to spot them so they can safely figure it out for themselves? Frustration may drive a few more out by the end of summer, especially those that struggled with conditioning or new skills anyway.

Then add in those whose families don't want to send them back due to risk or who can't send them back due to finances and it's not looking great.

Yep. I’m sure I was the same with my Mom. Never able to have the discussion with her. She died 43 yrs ago when I was 17.

But I owe her an apology the next time we meet.

And I remember I have more love then my daughter has eyerolls......
I started losing my mom to dementia before having kids. She passed away when they were young... gosh, what I would give to say “sorry” now that I have a teenage son... and when my daughters are teenagers, I’m sure I’ll feel it even more. I do try to remember how I was to my parents when I get frustrated with the teen!

My DD is almost 11 so we arent there yet but every now and again she gives me a "look" this half eye roll half you have got to be kidding me look and I say "thats it thats look I'm going to get all through high school" she doesnt quite get what I mean but I know its just on the horizon. My youngest is almost 8 and I got the first look the other day (hers is more you're crazy so I'm not listening) and so it begins. When they are both in that 13-15 range it will be some tough times....but then those are the times you get to look back and laugh about together. My mom passed too so I can't get the full details of my teen years from her perspective but every now and again I call my dad and apoligize and he says for what? I tell him for whatever I did in high school and we both laugh.

If her motivation to condition at home and stay on any sort of a schedule and eat somewhat healthy is any sort of an indication then my answer would be yes, I worry. She has turned into a different kid, it breaks my heart. She has zero motivation, zero energy, zero desire to do anything by lay around and watch tv. Her mood can change on a dime, we never know what's going to set her off. She feels like no one likes her and is convinced that all of her friends are off hanging out together but not inviting her (which is not the case). The longer this goes on the more worried I get, but at this point I can't stress anymore wondering if or when her gym will open. If it does, great, it if doesn't, oh well. Not much I can do about it.
This is so sad, and also something people are not realizing. Our kids (in general) are depressed. I’ve seen my child‘s anxiety level ramped up these past weeks. She’s lonely, bored, and misses her friends. She has said, “I’m stupid” and “I can’t do it” more times than I can count. She’s terrified of people in general, like when a car pulls up in the drive or cul-de-sac she freaks out; and if we go to the store she’s hanging on my arm and insists on holding my hand while avoiding eye contact with people. She’s enrolled in Online Gym School, but has completely lost interest.

Depression in kids is real. I’m so sad about Lily, but maybe she’s keeping her feelings and fears about lost skill, etc., bottled up. I hope she pulls out of it. (Come to GA, we are opening today;)).

This is so sad, and also something people are not realizing. Our kids (in general) are depressed. I’ve seen my child‘s anxiety level ramped up these past weeks. She’s lonely, bored, and misses her friends. She has said, “I’m stupid” and “I can’t do it” more times than I can count. She’s terrified of people in general, like when a car pulls up in the drive or cul-de-sac she freaks out; and if we go to the store she’s hanging on my arm and insists on holding my hand while avoiding eye contact with people. She’s enrolled in Online Gym School, but has completely lost interest.

Depression in kids is real. I’m so sad about Lily, but maybe she’s keeping her feelings and fears about lost skill, etc., bottled up. I hope she pulls out of it. (Come to GA, we are opening today;)).
Thank you! Her gym will be opening in 2 weeks, today I got her up early and went through the conditioning with her. It was tough, things that used to come easy to her aren't quite so easy now. But she wants to do the conditioning everyday now until the gym opens and I'm going to help her as much as I can. Shes gotten more motivation now that she sees the light at the end of the tunnel.

Thank you! Her gym will be opening in 2 weeks, today I got her up early and went through the conditioning with her. It was tough, things that used to come easy to her aren't quite so easy now. But she wants to do the conditioning everyday now until the gym opens and I'm going to help her as much as I can. Shes gotten more motivation now that she sees the light at the end of the tunnel.
Sometimes I think kids need to see the light at the end of the tunnel. I am glad she is coming around. Our gym also opens in two weeks and my daughter is very motived to do as much as she can until then. I hope everything works out for you and your daughter. This has been hard on everyone and I don't think kids necessarily know how to voice their worries. Good luck!

Sometimes I think kids need to see the light at the end of the tunnel. I am glad she is coming around. Our gym also opens in two weeks and my daughter is very motived to do as much as she can until then. I hope everything works out for you and your daughter. This has been hard on everyone and I don't think kids necessarily know how to voice their worries. Good luck!

I think we all need to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

I wasn't sure if I should put this in the COVID forum or parent forum. But it's related to COVID, so here you go.

Anyone else thinking that this might be the end for your gymnast? Dd has been out of the gym for 9 weeks. Honestly, she is outwardly not showing any signs of missing it. We have equipment, she doesn't use it. I encourage her to do some conditioning, she willinging does something for a couple days and then a week will go by with nothing. I see no internal motivation in her to accomplish anything related to gym during this break. I think this prolonged break has highlighted the reality that she could probably walk away now and be just fine.

She's been a gymnast as long as she can remember. Her path has been a slow one. She is proud of her accomplishments and they are meaningful to us. But she was never going to be an Olympian or college gymnast. I have long wondered if she's still doing gymnastics just because it's all she's ever known. She'll be in high school next year, and there's so many other paths for her to explore. In many ways, I'm eager to see how she blossoms in other areas.

I haven't brought it up with her. I really would prefer her to come to this conclusion on her own. But I do think once the gym gets plans in place to reopen (won't be for awhile), we may need to have an honest conversation. I know I've written before about thinking she's done. Maybe my gut instinct is right. Any thoughts or advice? Commiseration? :)
I can so relate to all of this! I feel like I wrote this because it’s everything that I am thinking and feeling lol. My daughter is also entering high school next year. She has expressed she doesnt know what she is going to do either. I think the reality is I dont really know what will happen when the gym reopens. All of this lost time has really set her back. I know she loves her teammates like sisters and is open to returning to see them...and we will just take it from there. I told her no pressure and its up to her. It would be a loss for me if and when she finally hangs up her leo but her past accomplishments is everything.

Thank you for starting this conversation on a topic that so many of us can relate to. It's helpful for me to hear that I'm not alone. My daughter is in 7th grade, was in the middle of her L7 season when it abruptly screeched to a halt, and was already talking about quitting gym right before the pandemic hit us (literally mentioned the idea of quitting, out of the blue, about a week before her gym closed). So I was reeling from this unexpected news and trying to deal with the closure of the gym and the fear of getting coronavirus myself, and was quite overwhelmed. Now, it's been two months of staying home, and we're in California so it could be a long time until gyms reopen (or not--who knows???) and my daughter is bored out of her mind and misses having a busy schedule, and the only thing she knows is gym, so right now she's acting like she's going back. But I'm very aware that this sport might be over for her soon, if her friends leave, or if practice feels weird with social distancing guidelines in place, or if she goes back and can't do any skills any more, or .... Hard to have so much unknown during this time, which is already stressful enough. Good luck to everyone who is dealing with similar questions.

SFTS, you expressed my feelings to a T! I coach a small team of 15 Xcel gymnasts (bronze-gold). I had already decided to dismiss one girl after States (which we didn't have, so I am allowing her to train with us for the summer so she can have some closure, then she's gone come September). I have two younger ones (9 year old bronze and 11 year old silver) who have told their parents that they don't want to compete anymore. I've been paranoid that I somehow have pushed them away, but after seeing this thread, sadly enough, I feel a little bit better. I'm relieved that I am not the only one seeing this trend. I have also had my own soul searching going on during quarantine and have reached my own conclusions regarding gymnastics and at which capacity I want to be involved in it.

I also am VERY MUCH dreading having to be the bad guy who has to tell them that we will not be uptraining this summer and instead doing basics and conditioning and shaping (which they probably feel like is a punishment for something out of their control). Many of them were hard to coach this year as it is. Juggling their feelings along with my own feelings is going to suuuuuuuuck...

I can so much relate and agree with original post. We had about five level 7s quit gyms during quarantine, sometimes kids just need a break to reassess things and see how life would be without gymnastics and this forced break gave this perfect opportunity. I have four competitive gymnasts, two girls and two boys. Older girl is 14, and she is still all in at this time. Her goal is to get to level 10 by the end of HS, she did 2 years of level 8 and is hoping to compete 9 whenever the meets come back. She had been doing some stuff at home, but it is not close to level of intensity she would have had at the gym, so it would be interesting how long it would take to regain skills. She almost quit two years ago (when gymnastics stopped being fun), but now very happy she didn't. My younger girl is 12, level 6 and hates conditioning, she does love gymnastics though, I did let her try many other sports and she liked none of them more. However, I know coming back would be hard for her, especially on bars. My 10 year old level 5 boy is going to take a break from gymnastics, he decided that wants to play other sports and this break made it easier to walk away. Haven't talked to my 8 year old boy yet, but my boys don't miss gymnastics that much. Having a large family had been a huge blessing during quarantine. Kids are having tons of fun at home hanging out, watching TV, bike rides, etc...

Having a large family had been a huge blessing during quarantine. Kids are having tons of fun at home hanging out, watching TV, bike rides, etc...
Agreed! If quarantine has been good for anything, it's definitely brought us together!

I also am VERY MUCH dreading having to be the bad guy who has to tell them that we will not be uptraining this summer and instead doing basics and conditioning and shaping (which they probably feel like is a punishment for something out of their control). Many of them were hard to coach this year as it is. Juggling their feelings along with my own feelings is going to suuuuuuuuck...

Our gym has been hosting Zoom meetings with levels to keep in touch with the athletes, maybe twice a month or so. It’s mostly social, but they ask if anyone wants to share what they’ve been doing or what they miss about gym or what they hope to work toward when they get back to training. During the last call, I heard the coach tell them to remember that when they get back, it’s safety first, which means conditioning and drills, probably for a while. I like that they are preparing them now, and will likely reinforce this message on any future calls. Helpful, especially for the younger set.

Good luck to you!!

I think once the gym opens up see how she reacts about it. If she still shows signs of not enjoying it, talk to her about it. She just might not want to talk about cause she doesn't disappoint anyone.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back