Anyone else watching event finals?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

It has been a little crazy with the injuries, but this World Championship certainly brings optimism for the future. It was amazing to see Morgan and Jade come out of nowhere for the US. Mai was fabulous. I loved how many different countries were represented in today's individual events. It was a little sad seeing Ponor (and probably Ferrari) for the last time, but the sport will go on.

And Morgan's reaction to the tweet from JK Rowling is priceless. It's so nice to see real emotion rather than just trained responses to the media.

Because I was thinking about past winners and scores and domination and how even Simone was scoring 15s, but no one was even close to that this time. Lots of people are talking about the messy/scary routines, sloppy routines, mistakes, inconsistencies, etc. And I thought about how in the past, huge wobbles on beam and falls and almost falls, and not stuck landings on every pass would never have medaled, even with the new code. Just because someone can throw these skills to pad their difficulty does not mean they are doing them well, yet they still are winning World medals. That's all. Just a thought to a time when gymnasts had to stick their landing, not stumble, not grab the beam and HIT 180 degree splints to win medals. I don't understand why you sound so incredulous that I was making a comparison.

I might be a little biased and I thought a lot about wether to reply to that statement or not but this does sound a bit disrespectful.

90% of the countries participating do not have the same training and coaching ressources as the USA and as long as the routines are safe I have no issue with them competing mistakes or not, they're in it for the experience.
That being said none of the routines in the EFs was scary or dangerous. There were mistakes all over the board and lots of bounces and wobbles yes but none was outright sloppy or poorly executed.
If you look at the E-scores (the only thing faintly comparable) of 2009, 2013 and 2017 worlds you'll see that this years scores are indeed a few tenths lower. The changes in the Code have something to do with this - especially on UB - and of course the horrily unlucky series of injuries taking out quite a few of the top contenders. But this is no reason to discredit any athletes medals, all of them have trained incredibly hard and delivered great performances this week.
All of the medallists both in the EF and the AA have earned their medals and I really don't see a point in saying: "Well, compared to 8 years ago you weren't THAT good, you wouldn't have medaled back then...."
As you said yourself there is now point in saying "What if.." and after all the WC are just a snap shot of who's the best in the world RIGHT NOW and in the end it all boils down to who performs best under pressure and on that particular day.

Sorry for the rant I'm sure you didn't actually mean any offense. :)

I might be a little bias.
That being said none of the routines in the EFs was scary or dangerous. :)
I agree with 99% of your post wholeheartedly, but even the best trained athletes can be scary. I was watching in person yesterday and lots of people held their breathe when Ferrari went down. Even The skills at L9 and L10 are scary, but that is why ALL these athletes should be celebrated. I have met a number of girls with all the natural gifts that couldn't get over the mental part. I think the young fresh faces are great for the sport and will only get better as we get to the next Olympics. No sense or reason to compare scoring to prior years.

Her rotation was way off - not sure why. I think I read that she tore her ACL on the landing. She fell forward after the landing. From my view it looked like she hit her head, so I was actually more concerned about a concussion. They carried her off the floor (which looked strange - no stretcher ... she was carried out in people's arms).

I heard she tore her achilles. It looked like she did it when she punched into her last skill and that is why she landed the way she did.

I heard she tore her achilles. It looked like she did it when she punched into her last skill and that is why she landed the way she did.
Yes, this is what was shared in a post-meet interview. The injury occurred on the punch, so the rest of the skill was messy. She said she grabbed her head when she looked down and realized her Achilles was gone (she could visibly see the indent).

Yes, this is what was shared in a post-meet interview. The injury occurred on the punch, so the rest of the skill was messy. She said she grabbed her head when she looked down and realized her Achilles was gone (she could visibly see the indent).
Omg...:(

Reactions: sce
These results from the 2008 Olymbic beam finals really shows the difference between then and now:
gold_w.gif
Gold
USA.gif
Shawn Johnson, United States 16.225
silver_b.gif
Silver
USA.gif
Nastia Liukin, United States 16.025
bronze_w.gif
Bronze
CHN.gif
Cheng Fei, China 15.950
RUS.gif
Anna Pavlova, Russia 15.900
ROU.gif
Gabriela Dragoi, Romania 15.625
CHN.gif
Li Shanshan, China 15.300
RUS.gif
Ksenia Afanasyeva, Russia 14.825
JPN.gif
Koko Tsurumi, Japan 14.450

This year's winners all scored in the 14's. There wasn't even a hint of a 16. Shows how amazing the whole field was in 2008.

I take it you are not really being serious as you must realize that the whole scoring system has changed dramatically in recent years?

In 2008 you counted 10 elements to the D score whereas now it is 8 (In 2008 many gymnasts were working from a 7+ D score on BB whereas these days it is hard to build a score that exceeds 6). It is one of the reasons Ashton suffered as her ub routine was only worth 5.5 in the 2017-20 code but was worth 6+ last years

The composition requirements (CR) have also changed for this quad - in previous quads the basic code requirements (ie full turn, acro series etc) was 2.5 points - but since 2017 it has been reduced to 2.0.

On vault all of the tariffs have been revised this year and lowered by around 0.5 from last year and around 0.7 compared to 2008 - so while Shawn got a 6.5 tariff for her Amanar vault in 2008 Jade only got a 5.8 for hers this year (the same as a double twisting yurchenko was worth last year.

That is because we get taught English at school. With that, English is easier to learn than let's say italian

That's because English and Dutch are so closely related I think, as I was saying I could "almost" follow his interview with no knowledge of dutch and a smattering of German., but I do think once you speak one romance language its very easy to pick up the others. I speak French but can read Italian and Spanish pretty well

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back