WAG Anyone following what is happening with USAG?!?! (Rhonda Faehn asked to resign)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

@sewgood We have no idea what may have happened behind the scenes that led up to the firing or that made now the time. We do know the old USAG created this mess, and I have no sympathy for those people who knew and let Nassar stay and continue molesting.

I’m shouldn’t be surprised so many on here are defending a woman who knew a child molestor was working with the girls and decided it wasn’t her problem to address. This is exactly how the Gedderts of the world stay in business.

I'm not saying I agree or disagree with you but the timing of this is horrible, they knew she was informed by Aly a LONG TIME AGO so why wait until NOW to fire her????
this may have been said, but what I read is that she informed the president of USAG but not the police. Seems like she did what she thought she was supposed to do. I think at this point its just trying to look like they are doing something. I don't agree with this firing, especially the timing. Again, I feel like they are punishing the wrong people. The gymnasts of today are the ones this affects.

this may have been said, but what I read is that she informed the president of USAG but not the police. Seems like she did what she thought she was supposed to do. I think at this point its just trying to look like they are doing something. I don't agree with this firing, especially the timing. Again, I feel like they are punishing the wrong people. The gymnasts of today are the ones this affects.

The problem though is when you work with minors you can't pass the buck on reporting sexual abuse. She contributed to the additional acts of molestation because she didnt do the right thing. It really shouldn't take a rocket scientist to know that when minors report sexual abuse you call the police

The problem though is when you work with minors you can't pass the buck on reporting sexual abuse. She contributed to the additional acts of molestation because she didnt do the right thing. It really shouldn't take a rocket scientist to know that when minors report sexual abuse you call the police
We can disagree on this subject without the subtle insults. It's my opinion, I don't expect everyone to agree. I think she thought she did what she was supposed to do. Someone higher than her did not do what he was supposed to do.

We can disagree on this subject without the subtle insults. It's my opinion, I don't expect everyone to agree. I think she thought she did what she was supposed to do. Someone higher than her did not do what he was supposed to do.

Do you believe if she had contacted law enforcement as she was actually legally required to do more children would have gone on to be abused?

Rhonda began working for USAG in May 2015. Was notified in June of abuse and reported same day to Penny. This was then when USAG conducted their ridiculous 5 week “private” investigation then notifying the FBI in July.

Those of you saying there were additional acts of molestion after she knew of the abuse and reported to Penny, can you tell me where you have read this info?

Rhonda began working for USAG in May 2015. Was notified in June of abuse and reported same day to Penny. This was then when USAG conducted their ridiculous 5 week “private” investigation then notifying the FBI in July.

Those of you saying there were additional acts of molestion after she knew of the abuse and reported to Penny, can you tell me where you have read this info?

The timeline is rough to follow. It appears though that Nassar was allowed to continue treating after the notification to Penny, at least into July. He wasn't fired by MSU until the end of August.

http://www.wilx.com/content/news/Nassar-Timeline-416665283.html

https://www.sbnation.com/2018/1/19/...-abuse-timeline-usa-gymnastics-michigan-state

I think people are referring to the 40+ girls that were abused at MSU after he parted ways with USAG .

@sewgood We have no idea what may have happened behind the scenes that led up to the firing or that made now the time. We do know the old USAG created this mess, and I have no sympathy for those people who knew and let Nassar stay and continue molesting.

I’m shouldn’t be surprised so many on here are defending a woman who knew a child molestor was working with the girls and decided it wasn’t her problem to address. This is exactly how the Gedderts of the world stay in business.

Wow, seriously? I made a point of specifically saying that I was NOT commenting on whether or not Rhonda should be fired. But thanks for twisting my words.

My point was that THE WAY she was fired is just adding fuel to the dumpster fire at USAG right now. The camp was what? May 15-19, I think. She was fired on May 18. Is something wrong with May 14 or May 20? Or even May 19th, after everyone goes home? It just couldn't wait for (less than) 24 hours, after sitting on it for 3 years?

Do you believe if she had contacted law enforcement as she was actually legally required to do more children would have gone on to be abused?

Yes, absolutely. He was reported to several other law enforcement agencies over the previous decades, including township police, county/state police and the FBI (twice!). She (and the other staff that knew) still should have reported it to the police. But do I think that one single report would have stopped him? No. The only thing that stopped him was Rachael Denhollendar's story in the IndyStar and the cascade of revelations that came after its publication.

So when she saw that Nassar remained in USAG, do you think it is normal that she continued to assume someone else was handling it? It sounds like classic pass the buck.
He didn’t remain at USAG after that...he was never back at camp as far as the reporting I remember.

Has it been discussed why the personal coaches of the athletes abused did not report directly to the police?
It is very common for the child to refuse to come forward . so
Likely the parents and child were not willing to come out. The what do you do as a coach ? Go to the police only to have the family deny it ? It's a slippery slope. But common.

The link says PROFESSIONALS are mandated Reporters... and then it goes on to define Professionals:
Professionals include teachers, nurses, doctors, day-care employees and others who are either licensed by the state or work in a facility licensed or operated by the state and who have direct contact with children in the course of their job (Texas Family Code, Section 261.101).
Which one of these was Rhonda?
Reporting laws vary from state to state. I would have called the cops immediately, but that's just me. ... and I have been a mandated reporter in various capacities over the years, so that might be part of it.

I think that a lot of people here are forgetting that the waters were also muddied in the very beginning by the fact that he was trying to pass this off as a legitimate medical procedure.

I don't know what Rhonda knew about any of these girls or their respective injuries, but do not forget that, as far as we know right now, it wasn't initially a case of someone coming to them and saying "Larry Nassar is a pedophile and is sexually abusing these gymnasts.". It seems like it was more a case of a coach overhearing a gymnast saying something about a medical procedure that was weird or made her uncomfortable, or that she didn't understand.

Again, I don't know specifics, and they may have gone to Rhonda and told her that it was sexual abuse. But from what I have gathered from media reports, it doesn't seem like they were sure that this was not a legitimate medical practice at the very beginning.

This was a case of someone that had built the trust of the entire gymnastics community (look back through posts. He has been mentioned and recommended on this very forum!) that was using his medical degree and the fact that these girls, their families and their coaches had their Olympic dreams within their sights and exploiting his position to fulfill his twisted desires and fantasies.

I am not excusing or defending anyone. The whole situation is disgusting and I don't feel that USA Gymnastics should be totally off the hook. However, as far as i have been able to discern, it really wasn't a clear cut report of "abuse" in the very beginning. I can understand the desire of those that were in charge to kind of figure out what exactly was happening before involving police. I am not saying that that was the right thing to do, but I can definitely see where they thought it might be at that moment in time.

But wouldn’t notifying the FBI be what one should do?
In Texas you are obligated to report suspected abuse which would have looped in local law enforcement. It
The link says PROFESSIONALS are mandated Reporters... and then it goes on to define Professionals:
Professionals include teachers, nurses, doctors, day-care employees and others who are either licensed by the state or work in a facility licensed or operated by the state and who have direct contact with children in the course of their job (Texas Family Code, Section 261.101).
Which one of these was Rhonda?
Reporting laws vary from state to state. I would have called the cops immediately, but that's just me. ... and I have been a mandated reporter in various capacities over the years, so that might be part of it.

There is additional requirements for mandated reporters, but everyone is legally required to report.
"Texas law says anyone who thinks a child, or person 65 years or older, or an adult with disabilities is being abused, neglected, or exploited must report it to DFPS."
http://www.dfps.state.tx.us/Contact_Us/report_abuse.asp
https://www.baylor.edu/gr/doc.php/267639.pdf

It is very common for the child to refuse to come forward . so
Likely the parents and child were not willing to come out. The what do you do as a coach ? Go to the police only to have the family deny it ? It's a slippery slope. But common.
It is irrelevant what happens or does not happen after you go to the police, with regards to the person who initially reports it.

Their job is to report it. If they report it to the police they have done their job.
They fulfilled their obligation.

It they don’t report it. They have not done their job.

Personally not reporting abuse should be grounds for immediate dismissal. Many balls were dropped.

Maggie Haney's Instagram...

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bi5miyfHFH1/

Screen Shot 2018-05-20 at 9.33.53 AM.png

A bunch of the National Team Athletes had Instagram posts up too... but those all mysteriously disappeared?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back