Parents Anyone going/been to Buckeye classic recently?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gym_dad32608

Proud Parent
Going to be there all weekend with elite and DP meet. Never been to Columbus as a Florida guy, so looking for things to do outside of the actual meet (dining, shopping, etc). I guess if there are any quirks with the meet itself that I should be aware of that would also be nice to know :) Thanks in advance!

It's a fun and big meet. If you do the opening ceremony / balloon drop / Buckeye senior ceremony... it's fun for the kids... but it is quite a bit of standing for them.

so looking for things to do outside of the actual meet

This isn't going to help you... but we stopped at the Indy Motor Speedway on our way home one year... so I got nothing... but I'm always coaching there.

What hotel are you staying at and do you want things to do close to it? Will you have any free time after competition?

What hotel are you staying at and do you want things to do close to it? Will you have any free time after competition?
Adding that I’m not trying to be creepy, just that the official hotels are not close to the meet itself but some of them are close to great local stuff that I would send you to depending on where you will be!

If you’re near the airport the closest area with a lot of shopping and chain restaurants is Easton Town Center. For those who are staying in Westerville at the Embassy Suites, Polaris is the best big shopping center/mall.

For something cuter or more local, go get dinner at Northstar and ice cream at Jeni’s on High Street, burgers at Ritzy’s (a revived chain that had been gone for decades), or go to old Worthington along High Street just south of 161 to see a cute then-town, now-suburb founded in 1803, eat at any of the restaurants there, and get Graeter’s ice cream after.

If you have younger siblings in tow, take them to COSI if the weather is bad or the Zoo if the weather is decent. The cheetahs and their dog companions are my favorite. A visit to the Oval and campus in general is a great way to get a feel for whether or not a very, very big campus is right for your child.

Thursday/Friday competitors staying around 270: Columbus traffic is easy compared to most places but don’t be lulled into leaving late. It can get very slow at rush hour especially at the 71 and 315 interchanges. Have fun and good luck to your athletes!

My family really liked Otherworld, it is very unique and will take a few hours to go through. As stated above the opening ceremony is an additional fun part of the meet. My daughters typically say the gym I gift is the best one of the season.

Haha, ya, we are staying at a hotel in the Short North Arts district? Across from some park? I think its close to campus.

And OSU women’s gymnastics is hosting Maryland that Saturday at 2 pm. Forget everything I said and go to the meet if it’s after your session!
She doesnt compete till the evening session unfortunately. She does have some old teammates that compete for OSU, so I do know there will be some Ohio State gymnasts at the evening session!

This is so helpful we will be flying out to that meet. We go on Thursday and come home later Sunday. Never been to Ohio so want some fun stuff to do :) Good eating options that arent typicaly national chains are always a plus!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back