Parents Anyone have trampoline regrets?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I had no regrets until the neighbor girl broke her elbow getting off of the trampoline a few weeks ago. Now I'm ready to burn it.
Getting off?? I'm curious as to how?

I scuba dive. There are many injuries that happen. They are usually related to the boat. I wouldn't call those scuba accidents.

One of the neighborhood kids lost his balance getting off our tramp, scraped his knee. I really don't consider that a tramp accident, any more then blaming the driveway, when a kid fell off his bike in our driveway.

I understand a kid gets hurt on your property it's upsetting. But I really am curious as to how it happened.

We have a spring-less trampoline. More expensive but maybe safer? Maybe not. 8 yo gymmie and 6 year old son and it gets used all the time. For jumping, dodgeball, tea parties, gymnastics, tag, watching stars... I am a bad mom and don't supervise or make only 1 kid jump at a time. There are rules and I spot check to make sure they're being followed. I check with the parents of visiting kids to make sure they're ok with it and so far have had no parents say no. I grew up with a trampoline with no rules and no walls and realize they can be dangerous but am also of the camp everything can be dangerous.

My kids are relative cautious and are rule-followers, so that increases my comfort level with having the trampoline.

Being careful/rule followers won't necessarily prevent injury. Even standing there with them won't always prevent an accident. Accidents happen and when they happen on a trampoline on your property to a kid who does not belong to you, it's very, very, bad. We are facing the loss of our home insurance.

Getting off?? I'm curious as to how?

She was getting down from the trampoline and caught her foot and fell hard on her arm. I was standing there and saw it happen. We have a net on the outside to keep them safe as well as steps to help them get on/off. It was a freak accident.

Being careful/rule followers won't necessarily prevent injury. Even standing there with them won't always prevent an accident. Accidents happen and when they happen on a trampoline on your property to a kid who does not belong to you, it's very, very, bad. We are facing the loss of our home insurance.

She was getting down from the trampoline and caught her foot and fell hard on her arm. I was standing there and saw it happen. We have a net on the outside to keep them safe as well as steps to help them get on/off. It was a freak accident.

That is rough... I can imagine I would have to consider some more if we lived in town, but we seriously have zero neighbor kids. Most kids that visit are here with their parents. Plus, we are in Canada -so a broken ankle sucks but isn't an insurance issue.
Ironically, the daughter of a friend broke her elbow in a tramp injury- she was walking on the outside of the net and her brother pushed her off. Not really an accident...

Thanks for clarifying. That s*cks.

And that is not something I would say was a "trampoline" accident. Could of happened on swing set, running around the yard. And yes I get it, don't like to see any kid get hurt and especially on your property. And the insurance thing just ugh............

Also, I don't think using the equipment properly and supervising will necessarily prevent an accident. A grown up watching and making sure they follow the rules will prevent what I call "stupidity" accidents and perhaps way more serious ones then broken bones. Rather like you can get hurt riding a bike. But riding without a helmet, stupid. leading to traumatic head injury or even death.

Also check your homeowners insurance. If a neighbour kid is seriously injured on your tramp they will have to sue you. Many homeowners policies do not cover tramps.

We have a trampoline - with net, springs outside the net. No issues. However a friend's kid was at our house, ran down a path, tripped and needed stitches. Moral of the story - kids can get injured anywhere, doing anything. And someone I work with spent a month in intensive care after falling off her bike. In my opinion, sensible trampoline use is no more dangerous than biking, ice-skating or, dare I say it, gymnastics.

We have a trampoline - with net, springs outside the net. No issues. However a friend's kid was at our house, ran down a path, tripped and needed stitches. Moral of the story - kids can get injured anywhere, doing anything. And someone I work with spent a month in intensive care after falling off her bike. In my opinion, sensible trampoline use is no more dangerous than biking, ice-skating or, dare I say it, gymnastics.

Though in the US, with it's litigious society, an uninsured tramp is far worse than a fall on a front path.

Though in the US, with it's litigious society, an uninsured tramp is far worse than a fall on a front path.
Probably depends on who does the falling. And yes this country loves to sue. I got sued once because kid broke his arm running into my stopped car. He broke my side mirror. My car doesn't go sideways..... 25 k judgement lawyer got 10k. Actually got to class sing arguments, judge lost patience and strongly recommended the lawyers settle.

Reactions: sce
Probably depends on who does the falling. And yes this country loves to sue. I got sued once because kid broke his arm running into my stopped car. He broke my side mirror. My car doesn't go sideways..... 25 k judgement lawyer got 10k. Actually got to class sing arguments, judge lost patience and strongly recommended the lawyers settle.
That is crazy! Way for those parents to not teach their kid self responsibility. Cars are not small, if you run into one, you weren't looking, bummer tht you got hurt. Lesson learned.

Also check your homeowners insurance. If a neighbour kid is seriously injured on your tramp they will have to sue you. Many homeowners policies do not cover tramps.
And if a kid comes into your back yard when you aren't home, if you have something like a pool or trampoline, and gets hurt, you can still be held liable. Check your insurance before getting something that can be deemed an attractive nuisance and could potentially cause injury.

And if a kid comes into your back yard when you aren't home, if you have something like a pool or trampoline, and gets hurt, you can still be held liable. Check your insurance before getting something that can be deemed an attractive nuisance and could potentially cause injury.
Wow. The lawyers have a lot to answer for.

Reactions: sce
We need serious tort reform.

There was a case. Kid got theprough a doggie door drowned in his/her own pool. Parents suing the doggy door manufacturers. Ummm how bout putting a gate/lock on your pool. Sorry to side track, gets me flippin nuts.

OK, folks. Please keep in mind the following things:

1) Most of the coverage of tort cases happens when a case is filed, and if it is dismissed on summary judgment, that does not make any headlines.
2) A good many tort cases are pressed by insurers rather than the individuals injured because the individuals' insurers do not wish to provide the coverage they are contractually obligated to provide.
3) Almost all tort litigation that actually gets to pleadings settles out of court, usually for less than the cost of the injury to the injured party.
4) If a personal injury suit does proceed to trial and results in a judgment against the product marketer or manufacturer, the losing corporation or insurer very often appeals, and either has the damages reduced on appeal, or wears the plaintiff out, securing a settlement for a fraction of the amount the jury initially awarded.
5) The weaker the regulatory environment in which we live, the more we must fall back on the uncertain remedy of tort litigation to keep us safe from dangerous products. For myself, I prefer regulation to tort because tort litigation is uncertain and tends to be more available to individuals with the resources to hire private attorneys. Legal aid programs across the country have been severely limited in their capacity to help people who've been injured.
6) The biggest class of litigation in the United States is not tort litigation. It is business litigation.

Sorry about the hijack, but I can't not say this stuff.

A lot of preventable falls happen (resulting broken bones and head/neck injutpries) directly related to not having the tramp enclosed.

99% of all trampoline injuries occur ON the trampoline bed. an enclosure is a false sense of security. but i will concede that after you have broken your neck ON the bed you won't fall off if you're double bounced and injure another body part.

Ok, so, last year my then four year old broke her leg during trampoline class at our (well respected, well equipped and long established) gym- coach right there watching, she did not fall off, she did not slam into anyone else, she was not doing any weird trick, she landed (it looked but obviously was not) correctly in the center of the tramp- and yes, broke it. As breaks go, not at all serious, but do not tell that to my back after carrying a four year old everywhere for a month. Broke is broke.

I am not sure if this cautionary tale is an argument for or against home tramps- but after 6 hours on a Friday night in the ER with a miserable 4 year old? You could not pay me to take home a trampoline.

And no, despite being crazy Americans, we did NOT sue. And my husband is a lawyer! So there. :p

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back