Parents Anyone have trampoline regrets?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Ok, so, last year my then four year old broke her leg during trampoline class at our (well respected, well equipped and long established) gym- coach right there watching, she did not fall off, she did not slam into anyone else, she was not doing any weird trick, she landed (it looked but obviously was not) correctly in the center of the tramp- and yes, broke it. As breaks go, not at all serious, but do not tell that to my back after carrying a four year old everywhere for a month. Broke is broke.

I am not sure if this cautionary tale is an argument for or against home tramps- but after 6 hours on a Friday night in the ER with a miserable 4 year old? You could not pay me to take home a trampoline.

And no, despite being crazy Americans, we did NOT sue. And my husband is a lawyer! So there. :p

Does she still use the Tramp at the gym? Any fear if she does?

Any fear if she does?
Hers or mine? She would have no fear. For me, it just has not come up. I left out the part where that I had already decided that would be her last trampoline class due to scheduling issues. She jumps for a few minutes as part of her recreational gym class, and of course the boys use trampoline for team practice. But different tramps than the one she was hurt on.

To add to the debate, my daughter broke her arm falling off beam (at the gym) and my son broke his ankle landing on a springboard (also at gym)... and don't even start me on the number of sprained ankles, all sustained at the gym - gymnastics is a dangerous sport. Home trampolines aren't the safest activity either, but then what about pools, bikes, scooters, all of which I am personally aware of horrible accidents with...of course the US sueing issue is a different kettle of fish - fortunately in France that isn't so much of an issue. Personally, and I realise there are many sides to this debate, I would rather my kids were risking an accident whilst getting exercise than sat in front of the television or video games. But everyone has their own level of acceptable risk...

last night a newly signed Celtics player (basketball to the tune of $128 million contract) broke his leg in the first 6 mins of his Celtics career. my husband almost threw up and turned the tv off and refused to tell the kids what he saw. luckily the guy had something on his leg so you couldn't see the bone. :eek: you can get hurt anywhere.

my biggest fear with a trampoline? is that it's going to get used as much as the bar we bought which is not a whole dang lot. or that my in/outdoor cat is going to figure out how to get up onto it and wee on it (despite being neutered since 5 months he still marks everything which is why he's outside a lot). :p . so far dh is holding them off but i'm tired of my gymnast begging for one. ugh!

Of course gymnasts can get hurt at practice or at meets. But unless the kid got hurt goofing around and doing something they should not have been doing, such injuries involve getting hurt doing something (training or competing) that is unavoidable for a gymnast. To me that is different than a kid getting hurt doing something unnecessary that is known to be physically risky outside of gym. And no, I am not arguing that gymnasts should not be allowed to do other physical activities. Personally I do let my kids jump on trampolines at friend's houses and even at tramp parks on the very rare occasions the opportunity arises, because those situations are for socializing with friends outside of gym and that is something I think is very important for my kids as well. I am just saying that the argument that "gymnastics is a dangerous sport anyway" is not all that convincing because for a gymnast, doing gymnastics at gym is unavoidable, and having a tramp at home IS avoidable.

Ours is fully enclosed with springs on the outside of the enclosure.

We dont use the trampoline when friends are here, full stop. It is not a toy. It is a tool.

We do not use the trampoline without an adult present, ever, or it will get taken down immediately and given to someone who can respect rules.

Only one person can ever jump at a time. I have two kids so the other can sit in a corner of the tramp far away from whatever the current turn taker is doing.

You are allowed to practice skills that you have safely done in the presence of a trained coach. NO NEW SKILLS. (this is a new rule. I used to let them learn new things at home but we have progressed beyond introductory skills at this point)

With these rules I think the tramp has been a success for us. These days they dont get as much time to use it because they are at gym, but if given free time, Im always getting dragged outside so they can work on the trampoline.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back