Parents Anyone in Dallas or Austin, TX?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

mariposa

Proud Parent
Proud Parent
We are considering a move to Dallas, TX since things where we currently live aren't very good and construction jobs are bad. Since we depend on construction jobs for our income, we our looking at other places.

For Dallas, probably looking at north of Dallas, towards Plano? I would like a smaller city close to Dallas, but not IN Dallas. :D

Not sure at all about Austin, just heard it is growing housing wise, so a possibility, though I think median home prices are a bit too much for us and I think that Dallas/Ft Worth area might offer more job wise commercial/housing construction for my husband since he is used to driving all around metropolitan Phoenix.

Any gyms that are good in Dallas/Plano area that aren't WOGA? I think they are a bit too elite for my DD. She is training L4 at her current gym and might get to compete a meet or 2 before we would be moving, and I would like somewhere that is a little more relaxed like her current gym. :)

Thanks! :D

I don't live in either city, but I know both pretty well.

Austin in more expensive. I'd go with Dallas/Ft. Worth.

There are a ton of gyms in Dallas area so you should have your pick of just about any type of gym.

Texas Dreams is great, but if you said WOGA was too elite you might find the same problem with TD. By the way I wouldn't rule out either gym. I've sat through plenty of meets watching average WOGA girls. Not all of their kids are superstars and headed to elite. They have lots of coaches and girls so I'm sure there would be room for your DD. I don't know how strict they are about putting kids on team so someone with first hand experience would have to tell you about that.

Metroplex is another really good gym. I've personally met the coaches and they were really nice. They have some great kids and are a competitive team.

Infinite Bounds is in Plano and has some great kids. I can't tell you about the coaches or what their gym philosophy is. They are smaller than WOGA team wise.

Kurt Thomas is also in Plano. They seem to have a lot of kids come and go. I'm not sure if that means anything.

If you want to go further north of Dallas there is a gym called Zenith Elite. They have had some good results especially in the compulsary levels.

It's hard for me to think of all the gyms because there are so many. I'll add more as they come to me.

We're in Plano. In addition to the gyms already mentioned in the area are: University of Gymnastics, Plano Unlimited Sports Academy, ATWC, Eagles Wings, Top Flight, Denton Gymnastics, The Colony Gymnastics, United Elite Gymnastics, Mesquite Gymnastics, Frisco Gymnastics, Eagle Gymnastics, Classic Gymnastics, Richardson Gymnastics, and....probably more. I wouldn't completely discount WOGA as they have three locations, and one may be more "hard core" than another. My child does not go to WOGA, so I don't know that first hand.

I would say that most gyms in the area are pretty serious. I'm sure that you could find one that fits your daughter. There's only one gym in the area that I would say to stay away from. If you get that far in the process, PM me; and I'll give you further information.

As far the area--in general, the suburbs north of Dallas provide a wonderful standard of living. Plano is probably the largest suburb with around 250,000 residents. Allen, McKinney, and Frisco are to the north and are great communities as well. A little further west (but still north) are Grapevine, Flower Mound, and Southlake--great communities as well. In addition to the individual community websites, I'd look at wikipedia.com for info.

I'm pretty sure that Richardson, Rockwall (east of Dallas), and Lake Highlands (Dallas) schools (in Texas we have ISD's--Independent School Districts) have high school gymnastics. All of the ISD's have websites.

Construction seems to have slowed a bit, but we've had so many damaging storms roll through lately that building and fence repair businesses have prospered.

As for Austin, EVERYONE loves it there! I'm sure that there are some people on here with first hand info about the city.

Good luck with your new adventure!

We're in Plano. In addition to the gyms already mentioned in the area are: University of Gymnastics, Plano Unlimited Sports Academy, ATWC, Eagles Wings, Top Flight, Denton Gymnastics, The Colony Gymnastics, United Elite Gymnastics, Mesquite Gymnastics, Frisco Gymnastics, Eagle Gymnastics, Classic Gymnastics, Richardson Gymnastics, and....probably more. I wouldn't completely discount WOGA as they have three locations, and one may be more "hard core" than another. My child does not go to WOGA, so I don't know that first hand.

We are also in Dallas and train at a Plano gym. It is true that there are plenty of strong gyms there--several of which are suitable for almost any type of gymnast. I have 2 dd's that are very different gymnasts...one is strictly recreational and would possibly want to do gym in high school--she is at the perfect gym for her. The other is a very serious gymnast and is on an elite track. She gives up everything and her gym is the very best place for her as well.

I think Metroplex is awesome---they have strong coaching and the girls always seem to compete very well. They know what they are doing, host great meets and seem to have a great parent network. Infinite Bounds is good as well...I am also hearing things about Eagles' Wings.

As far as WOGA goes...they are a bit particular about who they let on team. The WOGA Frisco location is a bit more laid back---I think they are just starting a L4 team there. I am not sure about the WOGA Dallas, but I think it has a more recreational situation. WOGA also has a great parent's club and is very well run.

There are a couple of smaller gyms in the area that are good. If you decide to come, there are also a few gyms that were not mentioned above and I can let you know if they are anywhere near where you want to live (one is in Euless and one is in central Dallas). I am sure there is quite a bit of difference between pricing at all of these various gyms...

My husband and I love Dallas and Austin. We both went to school in Austin and it is a bit more pricey, but there are some great outlying areas that are not---with great schools and quality of life. Dallas is a great place to raise a family and there are so many things to do, great schools and gyms as well. Please feel free to email me or PM me if I can help in any way. Scout's Mom is also a great resource and very helpful---I am sure between the 2 of us, we can get you all the info you need!:D

Thanks guys! I am hoping we don't have to move, but trying to make myself at least embrace the possibility. Right now I think it is slow EVERYWHERE in my husband's line of work, so we are just hoping for the best. I might just have to pull out my RN license and start working. LOL. Though my 2 yo is soo not ready for that. Luckily for now we have some money saved and will "live" off that. And cross our fingers that something comes up somewhere.

I appreciate all the info and will definitely pick your heads more if we end up knowing we are for sure moving somewhere. Thanks!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back