Parents Anyone know of the effects of the new CPSC Law on Rhinestones

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Has anyone had an issue with getting warm ups or leos with custone rhinestone work done due to the new regulations concering the Consumer Product Safety commission? Or when it takes effect?

We are getting ready to order new leos and warm ups for the season adn we are thinking that this might be an issue....

Any thoughts?

Jenn

I would think that the Leo manufacturers (esp. the big ones like GK) will adjust accordingly. I know that our leos have swarofski crystals rather than rhinestones, I wonder what the lead content are in those. 300ppm will still be allowed.

Sue Z

Last edited:
I googled swarovski crystals and it looks like the lead content may be 200 ppm, so then I think that may be alright. There was also other infor that said max weight of 300 grams which I would also think would not pose a problem for leos. The whole thing sounds ridiculous.

Sue Z

that is a really interesting question! I hadn't even thought about it. DD's competition leo has over 100 rhinestones on it (yes, I think they are the swarovski kind, judging from the cost anyway,:p) We are using the same one this year, but next year I suppose we might not be able to get that one again!

Parts of the law are just downright silly (IMHO) I'm glad they decided not to enforce it for smaller home-based businesses, at least for now. It will be interesting to see where this goes.

Snowbound

When it comes to out children's health, I'd rather be safe than sorry. It may be that these products do not pose a threat to their health and well-being, but lead it a dangerous metal, and it does slowly do long-term damage, so if there is any question about rhinestones, then I'm in favor of the ban. Don't forget that the people who are complaining the loudest are the ones who stand to lose the most money, although I doubt that the loss of rhinestone sales is really going to have a major impact on the economy. A lot of you are not old enough to remember, but you only have to recall the 'research studies' and 'scientific evidence' that 'proved' that tobacco is a safe product. It was the tobacco companies that made this arguement during the debates about their product.
We don't need the fox guarding the henhouse, as it were.

Just got a call from GK re: our leo order.

It seems they "can't" put crystals on a leo for anyone under the age of 12. The offer a similar glass version, which is slightly less costly but has less shine to it.

We now need to fill out a form stating we know that they cannot put crystals on for under 12 and to let them know how many we want changed to glass. Problem is if we change to all glass, they made us a sample about 1 month ago that has crystals. Wish they would have told me then. They must have know about it being a possibility! I have to ask owner what to do now.

Maybe it will end up saving us some money on leos in the future!! ;) I agree, GK should have told you sooner, I am sure they knew it was a possibility. Strange law though, the things they think of.

What idiot in the government thought this was a good idea. its not like the lead is leaching out of cryatal through the clothing into kids skin. I'm sure the Uniform garment making districts will lobby to have the wording changed. Don't be surprised if in the next year or so there is an exemption. That is a big industry and honestly I can't see them loosing money or sales because of this.

According to GK. glass jewels are standard on all stock garments now, but the options is available for crystal on special order provided you sign saying it is for those 13 or older. Glass is not much different, just not as much shine.

Well maybe less bling will = less money out of pocket? This really is a silly law. I don't think my 9 year old daughter was planning on eating them or anything. But whatever.

Interesting. I hadn't even thought about that. The law really wasn't well thought out, but I won't complain if it makes for cheaper leos and warm-ups.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back