Anyone watching beam final?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

She's so unique!!

I wonder if she has had long periods of being injured when she was groving up? We usually put all the injured gymnasts to do turns on floor and beam when they are not able to tumble and I thought she might have found har talent for turns that way. We have one gymnast with back injury and she has become ridiculously good on all kind of turns during these past months. She was good even before her injury but now she's an expert really.

Haven't watched but what happened that Simone got bronze? Surprised me a bit! Though it f course happy for all the girls. And what was the inquiry for Laurie??

Haven't watched but what happened that Simone got bronze? Surprised me a bit! Though it f course happy for all the girls. And what was the inquiry for Laurie??

Simone "fell" (she stayed on the beam, but touched with her hands to stay on so it counts as a fall).

For Laurie, usually an inquire means a judge has to go through and explain their deductions. Her coach must have felt like she deserved a higher score. It costs money to file an inquiry, so you only do it if you feel it is justified (you do receive a refund if the inquiry finds that there was fault in the scoring).

Laurie looked genuinely happy to get the silver. She probably anticipated silver behind Biles going into the event. You could tell Simone was disappointed, but she was a very good sport.

Simone "fell" (she stayed on the beam, but touched with her hands to stay on so it counts as a fall).

For Laurie, usually an inquire means a judge has to go through and explain their deductions. Her coach must have felt like she deserved a higher score. It costs money to file an inquiry, so you only do it if you feel it is justified.
Thanks!
And didn't realize they had to pay for an inquiry!

I think a fee for inquiry is standard in any sport. In my son's select baseball, you can file an inquiry if you think a player for the other team is too old, but there is a fee and it works the same in that if you are right, you are refunded. The fee serves to stop people from filing inquiries for the sake of filing inquiries and helps limit the instances they are filed.

I think a fee for inquiry is standard in any sport. In my son's select baseball, you can file an inquiry if you think a player for the other team is too old, but there is a fee and it works the same in that if you are right, you are refunded. The fee serves to stop people from filing inquiries for the sake of filing inquiries and helps limit the instances they are filed.

No inquiry fee in JO.

I did read that it is deliberate by the dutch- they know they cannot compete with tumbling difficulty, so they elected to utilise turns and spins to increase dd.

Same on floor, and for all the dutch gymnasts, not just sanne.
That's brilliant. And what a pretty routine! Though I was sad for Simone, I was really happy Sanne. Good for her!!

This may not be popular, but I think when a nation as dominant as ours files inquiries to try and turn our silver medals into golds, it just makes us look spoiled. I didn't like it when we did it for Aly in 2012 beam, and it bugged me when we did it for Laurie today. I wonder what they thought they saw or where they thought she was ripped off. The beam scores took like forever to post, so I really doubt the judges weren't being diligent when they came up w/ the scores.

The whole inquiry thing is also an advantage skewed more towards those who go late in the rotation (along w/ knowing which score you need to beat).

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back