anyone with a spare money tree?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I have offered several times over the past 10 years but the owners got burnt by the booster club when there was one and basicly got rid of them about 10 years ago since then no fundraisers or anything that even resembles a booster club. Over the years I have offered along with several other parents to run a fundraiser but the answer is always NO. I am going to try again I really would like DD to be able to do one of the away meets but unless there is a good fundraiser in place i don't know how we will do it.

Fundraise on your own. If you know any area business owners ask them to sponsor your daughter. Organize a car wash and/or bottle drive. My daughter really wants to go to nationals in San Diego next summer so we have already started fundraising now. Good luck.

lilmonkeymom---fundraising is touchy when looking for future NCAA eligibility. There are lots of rules governing this.

Update

Well I guess enough parents have complained about the cost of 4 trips. The gym had said they will definitly do one of the east coast meets and was hoping to do one of the west cost meets. They sent out an e-mail to ask which west coast one would be prefered and most parents chose the LasVagas one but also stated that due to the cost to get there etc they didn't see how they could manage it. Now the gym is looking to see if they can organize a group discount and the idea of fundraising has been mentioned by the gym. I'm hoping they allow fundraising for both trips.

I am going to ask the grandparents if they would contribute to the cost of the east coast trip. I'm hoping one will pay for transportation and one set will pay for the hotel that would leave the spending money and food cost up to us.

cross fingers we can some how manage at least the east coast trip.

Good luck with the fundraising....at least with Las Vegas, chances are greater to get a discounted flight. I have also heard that they are really coming down in hotel prices in LV.:)

Well I guess enough parents have complained about the cost of 4 trips. The gym had said they will definitly do one of the east coast meets and was hoping to do one of the west cost meets. They sent out an e-mail to ask which west coast one would be prefered and most parents chose the LasVagas one but also stated that due to the cost to get there etc they didn't see how they could manage it. Now the gym is looking to see if they can organize a group discount and the idea of fundraising has been mentioned by the gym. I'm hoping they allow fundraising for both trips.

I'm so glad that the gym has seen reason on this one. Maybe it's still not completely affordable, but at least they are willing to compromise and it sounds like they are now willing to talk about fundraising. That will be a good thing. Maybe some long term fundraising ideas can be had out of this (making next season easier). Good luck getting everything worked out.

With the talks of the new plan, does it make the travel meets mandatory or are they still optional?

I think it's at the very least stepping in the new direction.

With the talks of the new plan, does it make the travel meets mandatory or are they still optional?

I think it's at the very least stepping in the new direction.

I don't know if its mandatory or optional but either way if there is no money to pay for it it doesn't really matter what they call it.

We are hoping to make the one in PA the others are just not going to happen at this point. We have to let them know by mid October and with christmas coming any extra money we have is going for that. I'm hoping the family will help pay for her to go to PA.

Thanks everyone for responding. this board is just such a great place to vent the gym issues. its always great to have folks who really understand this whole thing.

I don't know if its mandatory or optional but either way if there is no money to pay for it it doesn't really matter what they call it.

At the gym that we recently left, if you didn't attend all of the meets, you were kicked out of the gym. About 2 years ago, 3 gymnasts (all extremely talented-1 level 8 and 2 level 9's) were kicked out for not attending a travel meet during the holidays. Financial issues or not, family coming in or not, you were expected to go no matter what. That owner showed no concern for anything going on with the families in his facility. It was really sad because the coaching was really good, but after 4 years of being treated like dirt from an unreasonable owner, a bunch of us just had enough and left!

At the gym that we recently left, if you didn't attend all of the meets, you were kicked out of the gym. About 2 years ago, 3 gymnasts (all extremely talented-1 level 8 and 2 level 9's) were kicked out for not attending a travel meet during the holidays. Financial issues or not, family coming in or not, you were expected to go no matter what. That owner showed no concern for anything going on with the families in his facility. It was really sad because the coaching was really good, but after 4 years of being treated like dirt from an unreasonable owner, a bunch of us just had enough and left!

I've never seen that in our gym but I can't imagine any gym doing that especially if the gymnasts were good. If that should ever happen then I say good riddens to them and on to a better situation. In the end you can't get money if it just isn't there.

Glad the gym is seeing reason on this. Our gym strongly encourages attending all away meets, but they do understand if you just can't afford it. I honestly don't remember them ever asking someone to leave!

Be careful with individual sponsorship as it could jeopardize her future NCAA eligibility for college..so as tempting as it might be, all fundraising should go through a booster club as it has a 501 C3 designation and the money is not directed at any one girl.

And as far as traveling to 4 away flying meets for a Level 7, that is ridiculous. Our gym mentioned that as a possibility and I basically told them , "well I 'll probably only go to 2, if that" and I have a good job and so does my husband but I'm not going to spend my money ridiculously. Last year, the gym scheduled an out of country meet and I notified them that day that we would not be attending. I told my daughter that it was not an option and that was the end of it. I think if you present it as a done deal , your daughter will be fine. If she senses that she "might " get to go, she'll continue to lobby you to see if you changed your mind. After I declined the meet last year, I found out that most of the other parents had too...and no one went! I don't think there's any shame in deciding what's best for you and your family (food and shelter!) and prioritizing. I would just tell the coach that due to some job changes, it's not possible this year and end the discussion. I would also make sure you are not charged coaches fees or team fees for meets you don't attend. Remember, it's just gymnastics; it's a sport and life will go on even if you don't fly to Vegas and LA.

Update 2

Ok for the past week or so since the meet schedule came out I've been saying the Vagas meet was too far and way too expensive. The other Parents were all excited to go to a vagas meet and thought I was crazy when I was telling them how much I found out it would cost. Well one of the other parents came in tonight with prices (the same ones I had a week ago) and announced there is no way they can afford that next thing you know only one family can afford to go to this meet so the gym canceled that meet on our schedule but they want to add another travel meet in its place that might be closer to home. So now we are down to just the PA meet all the others are off the table but the gym wants to add in at least one more!! So anyone know a great meet in the New England area that has teams from all over attend? anywhere in New England would only be a 2 - 3 hour drive so we could actually get away with out staying overnight if we had to and could attend.

A couple meets that our gym is going to is the Mardi Gras meet at Head over Heels in Mass, and the Ocean State Classic in RI. Both of these meets are under 3 hours from where we are. Hope this helps!

A couple meets that our gym is going to is the Mardi Gras meet at Head over Heels in Mass, and the Ocean State Classic in RI. Both of these meets are under 3 hours from where we are. Hope this helps!

Is the one in RI have lots of out of state teams and is it bigger than average? I know someone mentioned that to the gym as a possible replacement to add into the schedule?

Gymnastic Revolution has a big one I think - used to be Aquafina Challenge, now it's Team Challenge sponsored by Powerade.

I think maybe Brestyan's has one too. Not sure how big those are, but I've heard of them.

I know you got a lot of great responses on the travel meets and fund raising, just wanted to add about the money tree, LOL...

So sorry for your situtaion...we have had a rough year too financially. It is heartbreaking when that gymnastics tuition/expenses start to add up and you have to re-think things you could afford just 6 month prior. For us it meant moving to a less expensive gym just to keep DD in gymnastics. I am thankful she is only L5 and those travel meets are not a factor for us yet. Hope things improve for you soon.

Is the one in RI have lots of out of state teams and is it bigger than average? I know someone mentioned that to the gym as a possible replacement to add into the schedule?
I've heard some talks from our gym to go to this one this year. I'll know soon enough.

It depends what levels are competing... for the lower levels most of the meets in Mass are decent (Pilgrim 11/20-22; Little Bigger 2/2010; Starlight 3/2010; Cape Cod 3/2010) and driveable from NH. You don't see a whole lot of upper levels at these local meets though.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back