WAG Anyone with experience of rehabbing after bilateral elbow dislocation/surgery?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Mom2monkeys

Proud Parent
My daughter dislocated both elbows and had surgery with 3 pins in each elbow. We have not been given the go ahead to get back into gymnastics she is only conditioning and doing skills that do not require arms. Just wondering what our odds are getting back in and how hard mentally/physically it could be. Thanks

My DD had a teammate who dislocated both elbows and shattered her wrist last year when she bounced off the bars. She had pins, casts to her elbows, and was out about 4 to 5 months. She came back to be level 7 all around, beam, vault, and, yes, bars state champ this year. Coaches brought her back slowly and she seemed to be pretty good about self monitoring when her arms started to hurt too much.

Good luck to your daughter on her recovery. Hope she comes back as strong as my DDs teammate did.

My daughter broke her arm (cracked the humerus into two pieces), had to have several surgeries, pins the whole 9 yards. She was out completely for for about 2.5 months, and then was on restricted activity/conditioning only for another 6 weeks after the last cast came off.

In terms of gymnastics, I would say that the biggest thing was the introduction of real fear. She used to be completely fearless, and she definitely is way more aware that she can can get hurt now. This happened 2 years ago, and she still struggles with fear a bit. Plus, it happened right at the time girls start having vestibular issues, plus she had a growth spurt while she was out, so I think it was just kind of a perfect storm for fear to creep in.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back