Arabians

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

R

Rec Coach

I'm just wondering...how difficult are arabians in comparison to front and back tucks? What would be the progressions?

Some people find arabians very easy, some find them very hard.

I've always found them to be pretty easy.

There aren't really any particular progressions I'd use other than doing them into a pit or onto a soft mat. One thing I've found pretty helpful is getting a thick stack of mats (I usually use 16" worth of mats for this) and doing arabians on to this. Kids will usually land on their back or butt, but it seems to be pretty effective at getting them comfortable with the skill while keeping them from pulling down on takeoff.

Just make sure the area you have for them to land on is wide. Kids who are just learning arabians almost always go crooked.

I have another question about arabians. What do you think is easier backtuck 1/2 twist or arabians. I can do a 1/2 twist already (working on full twist), so how hard do you think it would be for me to learn an arabian? My club doesn't have a pit or anything to learn them in.

I think it just depends on the person. I twist my layouts but then I have teammates who don't twist that but can twist their arabians or they can't twist but can do arabians.

for me back halves are easier....i have worked on them on beam before and i think an arabian is an E and a back half is a D but i think they should change it so they are the same value...

in a back half you start by doing a back flip and then you twist (haha)..but with an arabian you start by jumping with a half turn and front flip out of it.

In theory, a back half is a back salto with a half twist, and an arabian is a half twist to a front salto.

In practice, if you finish the twist before you get about halfway through the flip, the judges will likely count it as an arabian, and otherwise it will likely be counted as a half.

it hink they are both about the smae level onve you can do them. learning them though is a diffrent story back tacks 1/2 and easier to learn though. arabians are always more fun :p

I find both skills fairly simply to teach.

A simple drill for a first step to an arabian is to do A round off rebound with a half turn and then punch front tuck. The half turn (done with a straight body and arms up) comes after the round off and lands on the ground before the punch front tuck. This is a simple aid to get the feel for turning and then accomplishing another skill.

Hope that you have some fun with it.

i find both fun, it just obv arabians you go forward and do you half twist first and back 1/2 you twist after you get into your straight, tuck :)

at my gym for learning arabians we did round off 1/2 turn tuck jump onto a pile of high mats just to get the feeling of getting enough height.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back