WAG Arched upper back in cast handstand

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

All Chalked Up

Coach
Gymnast
My kip cast handstand & cast handstand (both are straight body casts, not straddle) are getting very consistent except for a stange issue- an arched upper back! I almost look like stairs because the arch is happening right underneath my shoulder blades. Everything else (belly, legs, lower back etc.) is tight and in handstand position.

Sometimes I can pop it hollow and recieve credit and sometimes I don't feel the arch happening and thus don't get my handstand. What can I do to fix it? My coach is no longer willing to spot it for good form, she just wants me to figure it out.

Last edited:
handstands on a floor bar against the wall with stomach facing the bar. and i mean against the wall so that your ribs and chest are NOT touching.

or, and advanced, the floor bar within a couple of inches of a low bar. you rest the front of your thighs against the bar. 60 second holds.

handstands on a floor bar against the wall with stomach facing the bar. and i mean against the wall so that your ribs and chest are NOT touching.

or, and advanced, the floor bar within a couple of inches of a low bar. you rest the front of your thighs against the bar. 60 second holds.

These sound absolutely excellent, except unfortunately our gym doesn't have a floor bar. :(

Positioning in the first would only be toes and nose touching the wall, right?

the tops of your feet...toes and ankles pointed. and the nose should NOT be touching the wall. this would mean that your head is in past neutral. so, neutral head position so that you can see your thumbs thru your eyebrows. :)

the tops of your feet...toes and ankles pointed. and the nose should NOT be touching the wall. this would mean that your head is in past neutral. so, neutral head position so that you can see your thumbs thru your eyebrows. :)

Excellent, thank you so much!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back