Are parents allowed to watch?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Our gym has watch weeks every 3-4 weeks. They put in bleachers a couple of years ago so viewing is really nice (although we lost about 1/4 of the floor). We are allowed to photograph or videograph or whatever -- only without flash. On a normal night, our coaches also let parents in the gym towards the end of practice sometimes and definitely invite the parents in to see a new skill done by their gymnast.

With that said, they used to be pretty insistent about team parents not watching at all. They did have the glassed in windows at the time but we were discouraged from watching even through them. Due to their watch week tradition for the rec classes, team parents can go in and watch amongst the others during those weeks.

They did let me video her new floor routine last Thursday. I was shocked that they let me do that. LOL
Our gym worked around my schedule to make certain that I can video the choreography of the first L7 floor routine. Part of that is for our gymnast to watch and learn at home.

Last edited:
Old gym did not allow watching of team kids. It was awful. A lack of trust developed between coaches and parents--the parents were never able to verify problems that their kids were reporting and the coaches began to resent parents questioning them. It made the parent/coach relationship adversarial. New gym allows watching and there is more of a family feeling. Yes, the occasional parent steps out of line (side-line coaching), but that is dealt with rather than punishing all the parents.

I'm just curious as to what other gyms policy is for allowing parents to watch. As of now, my gym allows parents to stay. The problem I find is that many try coaching through the window or from the second floor! I think it might be a distraction and there are some kids who turn around to get mom or dads reaction after each skill. We are making some renovations and are thinking of a 2 way mirror.. parents can still see, but kids won't be distracted. Is this a good idea?

Our gym has an upstairs loft area where we go when we come in to put coats, the kids have snack etc. The parents can view over the 1/2 wall

Rec kids parents can stay for the whole time - Team parents can stay for about the first 15 min and the last 15 min and the last practice of the month they can stay for the whole time if they want but its along time.

If however parents are being distracting by waving down, calling down etc then the parents of the rec kids are asked to sit down so their child can't see them and not to call out to their child.

I like the idea of the 2 way mirror alot!!

My 2 cents

We also have actual bleachers that the parents can sit on and watch in the gym (not through a window). I like it. I have seen the occasional parents trying to coach their child but is seldom happens.
I also would not have my child at any gym that prohibits parents from watching. Our daughter is a level 7 and spends 20+ hours a week in the gym. There is almost no sport that demands the hours away from the family that gymnastics does. We sacrifice family time that we could be spending together for her to be on team. We don't watch all the time but can drop in on practice and observe any time we wish. We do give the thumbs up when she gets a skill and she loves it.
I also like keeping an eye on her progress. We used to not watch at her previous gym and had no idea she was not progressing as she should because she was in a bad coaching situation.

At my current gym, there's a small parent viewing room (to be fair, it's a small gym, so it's in fact appropriately sized). Rec parents usually stay, preschool parents usually stay, only one team parent that I know of usually stays the whole time. Other team parents ask when their daughters are going to an event that they're excited about and stay or come back early.

I've been at a couple other small gyms with the bleacher thing, and we had to remind parents a couple times that we're the coaches, they are not.

At the gym I work at now, parents are allowed to sit upstairs but they are not allowed to come downstairs until the practice is over which is fine with me.

But last night actually, I was coaching beam and I told the girls to get water. I was waiting for them to come back when I turned around and two girls had gone upstairs and started talking with their parents. The girls are not allowed to go upstairs at all during practice. I felt very disrespected as a coach when they did that knowing that they aren't allowed to go upstairs. I just started working at this gym and I love it but in my very short 5 years of coaching I have never been disrespected that.

So with that being said, Parents are completely fine watching practice but when the parent tries to talk or to coach the child from the second floor that's the only time it becomes a problem.

At my gym there is a observation window that is on the same floor as the gym. They don't really care if partents wach because the observation area is glass but you cant see through it because they turn off the lights in there. Sometimes I don't even know if my mom is waching me.

We have a viewing loft at our gym. I normally go up 1 or 2 nights a week for the last 20 minutes but typically there is just conditioning going on. Fridays I will go up earlier, only optionals train that day so I mostly visit with other moms! And it is a good time to see what Beetle has accomplished.

We have one or two problem moms.. they literally scream over the railing to their kids!

I admit I have "given the eye" on occasion to Beetle, but only when she is messing around or distracting her teammates. But these are rare things, especially now that she is almost 14.

Being wicked again are you Dunno? :D

People like to discuss and someone did ask for opinions, now they have lots to choose from.

lol. i get this way with winter coming...how about you up there?:)

lol. i get this way with winter coming...how about you up there?:)

I am making the most of the dregs on summer warmth, it was -1 last night. In two months we'll be knee deep in the white stuff and I'll have to break out the skis or hide in the house all winter. I totally get that fall feeling though, days are shrinking, the routine of summer gone (waah). Hope life's treating you well.

Ahh...the thorn in my side as a coach! I've worked in large, open gyms where there are parent viewing areas...sometimes it worked, sometimes not. Currently, I work in a gym that is enclosed in it's own large room & we have a large viewing window. However, we have had to put a blind on the window b/c parents would tap on it, try to coach through it, & the kids were constantly trying to get parent's attention. Now we open the blinds one week out of the month for the parent's to view their child's class. This seems to be more beneficial to the gymnasts as well as myself.

at our gym we have a veiwing area upstairs, so the parents just watch through a window. none of the us, the older girls, really get distracted anymore, only because we've found ways to stay in the zone. and i don't think it's really a big deal for the little ones either because i don't think they notice it that often. but a 2 way mirror could be a good idea if you don't want distractions.

Hope that's Celsius that you're talking about.

Winter is either too short or too long depending on what one chooses to do.

Yes definitely celsius we won't get to the other until February (I hope)

SO right about the winter thing. If it can be -5c, sunny during the day and snowing at night it can stay for ever. If it's -35c with a windchill of -50 alternating with 5c and freezing rain then a week is too long.:eek:

We allow parent viewing from our tiny lobby. There is a glass window and a glass door. The recreational parents actually have a few chairs on the other side of the door because space is so tight. We do have an issue with distractions and a few parents coaching from the sidelines but overall it works for us. We are currently working towards a new facility which would have viewing upstairs.

I think offering viewing anytime is a proctection for our staff. It also can add to the team part because parents also can build relationships with each other. Sometimes it's nice to grab a coffee and chat with another gym mom.

I think parents should be allowed to watch. There are many parents that have no clues about the rules of the gymnastics who are learning through watching their gymnast practicing and sharing with other parents. Base on the responses here I don't think there are too many sidelines coaching by parents. The parents are paying for the gymnasts and should have the choice to watch the progress of the gymnast. Also if the gymn or booster club want parents involvement or supports the parents will understand better. I see more pluses than minuses for allowing parents to watch. Most of the time the parents won't be staying full 3 hours waiting for the practice anyway.

I have been to 3 different gyms during our life in gymworld. The first one was completely open with parents sitting around the outside of the floor. This was OK I guess but this was when my J first started tumbling and the classes were only 1 hour long.
The second gym had a seating area upstairs where parents could watch, but most parents seemed to leave and come back for the last 15-20 mins of practice. The owner tried to discourage parents staying for the entire practice, but she was great at letting us see new skills and would bring you into the gym to see them.
The gym we are at now has 2 way glass but many parents seem to stay and watch a big portion of practice. I do see some side coaching when the kids step out to get a drink and hear lots of comments made about their own, and other kids. I love this gym and the coach but I do not stay, especially as I only live 10 mins away from the gym, Although the talk between the parents is not intended to be mean, I am not comfortable discussing my child's skills, or any other child and comparing them. I am not a gym coach and my job is to take care of my daughter physically and emotionally, and let the coach do the coaching.

We have an area upstairs designated for parents. There are 2 sets of bleachers, which no one usually sits on because we're all around the wall! :rolleyes: I like to watch but haven't been doing it as much as in previous years. My ds hates to be in the gym while she's practicing so we try to go visit family or do some shopping. There are parents that yell out to their kids which of course is a big no-no. They do get told about it, however. I think the 2 way glass is a great idea!
How did I know you would be in this thread!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back