Are parents allowed to watch?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Our gym had allowed watching of practices until we had a new gym manager from overseas who has since only allowed one week a term for watching now (4 times a year). I have several issues with this, one having no prior knowledge of gymnastics I was learning what it was all about from watching the older kids, secondly when my kids learn new skills I cannot see them until the next watching week and usually have to youtube the skill to see what they are frustrated about! I also feel a strong sense of disconnection as they are in a different world for 15+ hours a week that I have no access to - as a SAHM I drop DD and DS at gym after school every day and go home to an empty house until 7:30. DS says to me "you don't know how hard I train" and thats true, I don't. So don't restrict viewing - much better to put in 1 way glass - many parents I know can't turn up to a designated watching week anyway and would rather be able to view when it is convenient to them.

We have a watch night once a month at the end of the month. Parents aren't allowed to watch on other nights. Something to do with not enough space as well as letting the coaches do their jobs.

Our gym has built in "movie theater" style seating, so parents do stay and watch. Not many team parents stay the whole time, and the kids are not allowed to go off the floor and talk to their parents. If they are team and they go and talk to their parents without explicit permission, they go home. It's that simple. During the few hours team gymnasts are there, they are expected to be focused on gymnastics and their coaches.

However, given that there is sufficent seating, I believe parents should be able to see what their kids are up to.

We have a once a month policy. That is the 1st of the month the curtain is open and the rest of the time it is closed. We find it better if the parents check on their child's progress once a month rather than every practice because it can put too much pressure on the gymnast. We also send home progress reports and do a gym show 2 times a year so the parents get an idea of where the kids are.

I would not be comfortable being banned from watching period. Of course I have no problem being banned from coaching! That being said I rarely get to watch much of practice. DD just turned 6 and likes me to watch. Her brother has a playdate today which means I will get to watch for a while! (There's no place for him to comfortably hang where she is right now.)

Yes they are, through a window and as funny as this sounds I wish they were not, especially for the little ones. The reason is it is VERY distracting, the kids are always running over to the window and even falling off equiptment to look over at Mom or Dad. One of the dance studio's I taught for had the best idea ever, they put camera's in the studio and a T.V to view it on in the lobby. That way parents could watch and make sure we were doing our job and not hurting their kids and whatever without being a distraction. I loved it!

I love that idea. I sympathise with the coaches who don't want distractions and disruptions, but i is a little nerve-wracking as a parent not to have a chance to spy out how coaches operate. I've always made a point of "dropping by" school class rooms for the same reason.

At our gym most of the rec parents watch but are generally low key when it comes to signaling and distracting through the window (there are a few who are over the top but that is at every gym). The team parents don't really watch--they may come in 15 minutes early just to see afew things. Usually when the kids get a skill, the coach will invite the parent out on the floor after practice for them to witness the skill--I love that idea!

At Dani's old cheerleading gym it is a different story. We had so many distractive and rude parents (talking about other kids IN FRONT OF THEIR PARENTS) that the owners had to "close practices" and cover the windows with thick plastic tarp. It kind of sucked because it routined it for the parents that just wanted to watch. It is usually the handful of wacko cheer parents that end up ruining it for the masses :rolleyes: :mad:.

If the coach keeps the kids engaged in the class, it's less likely they will be looking for parents approval. When we move to the floor my kinders wave to their parents but then it's attention on what they are doing. I explained the first day, that Mom gets to see them all week and I only get to see then for one hour. Most are fine with that and are excited to practice for their big show day at the end of the session.

I'm on the fence about the mirrored windows. I think it could make it easier for the coaches but for the Pre school kids who have some separation issues to start with it might make for more anxious youngsters. I suppose it depends on what hurdles you're willing to work over because there are definitely +'s and -'s to each.

Our gym is fairly small, but there is some space on the floor level by the cubbies where gymmies store their shoes, etc with a few folding chairs, but it's usually very crowded and hectic and I only sit there during Saturday practices. We do have an upstairs "lounge" area though with a few tables and 15 or so barstools where we can sit to watch our girls. Either my dh or I stay and watch every practice and have done so since she was in preschool classes (5+ years now). We're both amazed by the things she does and the determination she has to get them done.

If she does something really cool she'll look up for a "thumbs up", but for the most part we don't really interact much with her during workouts. Occasionally, you'll run into a parent yelling at their kid from the upstairs balcony to point their toes (or bribing them with $$ for every skill they do right), but for the most part the parents are very well restrained.

I thoroughly enjoy watching dd and wouldn't miss it for the world. I can't imagine the poor parents who aren't allowed to watch (they are paying hard earned $$ for this, aren't they? They should be allowed to watch as long as they're not disruptive) - I would be fine with a one-way window (although I'd miss the thumbs-up's).

Occasionally, you'll run into a parent yelling at their kid from the upstairs balcony to point their toes (or bribing them with $$ for every skill they do right), but for the most part the parents are very well restrained.

...and that is why so many clubs prefer parents not to watch all the time. The few crazies that ruin it for every child, parent and coach! :eek:

We are allowed to watch and there is no wall except a 3 foot high barrier to keep the toddlers and little kids from running onto the floor. Our gym trains elites so some people drive far for practice and can't go home. For the most part, the parents behave themselves. We either talk to each other about non-gym stuff or read the popular book of the month. Or, in a lot of cases, watch our other kids. Generally the crazy parents don't last long at our gym because the poor kids get too stressed out. There is this one mom who literally stands at the 3 foot wall and coaches her kid. The kid is miserable and hasn't learned a thing this year.

our biewing area is for rec parents only. team parents can't sit and watch - in order to avoid the "parental coaching"

The gym my girls go to has an upstairs viewing area with bleachers and tables and chairs. Most parents stay for the rec classes, and a few team parents stay because of their long commute. Parents are not allowed on the gym floor unless given permission by the head coach.

I specifically chose this gym because of their open viewing policy. I enjoy watching my DD (I'm a former gymnast, so it's a little bit of living vicariously through her :)) and we have a 35 minute commute to the gym, so it is pointless for me to drive home. There are lots of other toddlers for my younger girls to play with, and a little play area. It's much better to stay and watch her class than attempt to run errands in a 1 hour time frame with two small kids to tow along.

I haven't seen any coaching from the parents. Most parents are busy with laptops, cell phones, books, or crafts. Some sit and chat quietly.

Also, with the little ones, it's great to be there because the teacher will yell up "Lily's Mom - she needs to go potty!" That way the teacher doesn't have to stop class to help the little ones in the bathroom.

With my oldest DD, she will look up at me and give me a grin or tiny thumbs up when she does something particularly well or learns a new skill. For the most part, she ignores me.

We recently had some problems with some abusive coaching, and I would not have known about it unless I had been there to watch.

Our gym has very strict rules about viewing. Depending on which class the gymnast is in, you are assigned one to two viewing days per week. You can only view on that specified day. The recreational parents can view as much as they want.

The gym has both viewing windows which have obstructed views, and bleachers outside for warm days.

MamaofEnS

Old thread but can I just add , crazy parents unfortunately tend to ruin it for the awesome parents in some cases.

Interesting that you posted, When this thread was first new, I posted that we had a Viewing loft. Since then we have had a new gymnast on team and her mother is famous for talking/yelling/coaching/conversing etc.

We no longer have a viewing loft, it has been walled off. :-(

I think that my opinion on viewing has changed over the past 2 years that my DD has been on team. At first, I totally thought it was something that should be available. All the time. I figured that if there is nothing to hide, why hide it? My DD was also very young and she wasn't ready to be without me for that much time yet.

I now think that complete open viewing might not be best. I am not sure an all out ban is good though either. Not sure what the happy medium is.

I have seen the drama caused by those certain moms that comes with watching practice all the time. They cause issues with their poor kids, always making faces at them through the glass and pulling them out to either coach them or discipline them. To me, that is the coaches job. I always feel sorry for those kids. If the parent can act that way in front of everyone, what does the poor kid hear at home? On the ride home? :(

Some like to cause issues with other moms. I have seen that happen and it is very sad. We have a mom that likes to tell moms that don't stay all about the practice, except it is in a negative way and she often lies about things. "Is M going to compete?... Really?? Because she wasn't with the girls that ARE competing the whole practice, I wonder if they have changed the plan for her." And even going as far as making up lies about them getting in trouble, when later it was confirmed with the HC that it wasn't true. A lot of that would be avoided in a situation where parents weren't allowed to sit there the whole time and just stare at their kids. It also leads to so much speculation about things.

It is sad that the few rotten apples spoil it for everyone. I don't stay and watch practice anymore, I will come early sometimes to pick up, but even then, I don't really like to because of the one mom we have. Easier to just avoid her completely. :(

At our gym, the small gym (mainly used for rec gym) has a viewing room with windows, the big gym (mainly used for competitive) has a roped off area in the corner with chairs. Parents are not allowed out on the gym floor but are allowed to watch quietly as much as they want.

Occasionally my DD will look at me or give me a little wave when she is waiting in line, but mostly the kids are all focussed on what they're doing. Some parents stay and others don't. Some of the mums (and occasionally dads) stay and watch and sometimes we chat about our DDs, I guess sometimes we do compare them a little, but never in a negative way. I've found our group of mums tend to be quite supportive of each other and the talk is often complimentary comments about each other's DDs, their skills and how hard they are working and how much they are improving.

I've never seen any trouble with parents yelling or interfering with the coaching. I haven't actually seen any really pushy parents here.

At DD's ballet school, parents are only allowed to watch during watching week, which is usually the last week of each month, although if someone can't make it they can make a special arrangement with the teacher for another day. Again I've never seen any trouble with parents interfering with the lesson.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back