Are parents allowed to watch?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I don't think our gym has a formal viewing policy. There is a loft like area---it is a catwalk to some of the offices but has benches positioned around it and I have seen parents sitting there. They also have a small lounge like area that is roped off from part of the main gym. When our daughter first went back this spring one of us or my MIL did watch every practice. I know that may sound over the top but it really was just a concern issue making sure she was doing ok with the level of intensity and not being pushed too hard physically. We've stepped back some but usually still one of us will stay for a bit after dropping her off and come back early to see how things are going. We were upfront with her coaches about why we needed to do this and they didn't have a problem with it.

At our gym parents are allowed to stay and its all on the same floor, there are bleachers for them to sit on and there isn't a wall except for a fence to keep toddlers from entering the actual gym area. There is also a small play area near the bleachers for young children to play while their parents watch/ talk/ etc.

At DD's gym, parents are not allowed to watch other than the last 15 to 30 mins. I was conflicted with that since DD was the youngest team member by at least 3 years. I remember being able to see my older DD when she was this age, and I felt like I was cheating the younger DD by not staying to watch. She does well on her own and has been at it for two years already. I have to say that her being on her own has created a self-doing, go-getting attitude in such a young gymmie. She can do most things on her own and she is only six! I hope this transfers into her school and I won't have to worry! :)

We can watch if we want but the owners do 2 things to discourage it...they don't heat the waiting area in the winter (and when it's 20 degrees out it's pretty chilly) and they don't turn on the AC in the summer (when it's 90 you'd rather sit in your air conditioned car) ...i don't know if that's why they do those two things or if they're just cheap but not many of us stick around.

We have a fairly large window (floor to about 2m) in the registration/waiting area where the tables are. There are blinds on the gym side. I think this is ideal. At the first level of rec parents are invited in the gym to see what the class is all about - as many of them have no knowledge of gymnastics. There is always a bench and strict rule (no eating drinking shoes etc). The blinds are always open during rec classes. They tend to be closed when the boys team are on p bars as they are right by the window and the littler ones get very distracted. The best thing about the blinds is they generally can stay open, but if there is a problem with watching they can be closed very quickly - it's the best of both worlds.

At our gym, parents are allowed and encouraged to stay and watch. But the viewing windows have this film on them (originally put in for the little recreational gymnasts) so that the parents can see the girls, but the girls can't see the parents. Stops distractions.

Our gym is very informal - parents come and go as they like. I have never seen instances of parents disrupting the class/training session, and I'm there a lot. Our gym has a few benches near the floor, and one bench that's usually on the other side, near the bars. Parents can sit there anytime and watch.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back