WAG Are Pull-Ups and Presses enough for gymnastics strength???

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

HannahD

Coach
Gymnast
I have a question and hope some coaches will reply:

What would happen if a gymnast would only do cardio, press handstands and pull-ups and now other strength at all?

Why I am asking?

Well, 2 years ago I was a Level9 gymnast, almost L10. I could have competed but never did. We were 5 girls on my team and we all loved it. But we were all pretty "old", between 16-19.

Then, all of us quit within half a year time span. We still loved it and it was hard, but we felt we had to move on. (College, social life,..)

We recently met again. We went to open gym just for fun. All of us are still fit and could still tumble and do basics bars and beam. Two could even still press to handstand!

But Alicia, she was in almost the same shape as before and was even better in her rope climb!!!
We asked her what she does and how she kept so fit! And she said her boyfriend works out everyday for almost two hours and she made it a habit to go with him.

They jog for 30-45minutes every morning, then he is lifting weights for one hour. Since she doesn't like weights, she does 50 press handstands and 50 pull-ups for 60 minutes everyday!

Presses:
10 standing straddle presses with ankle weights
10 sitting straddle presses with ankle weights
10 standing pike presses with ankle weights
10 L-Sit to pike press
10 V-Sit to pike press

Pull-Ups:
10 L Pull-Ups
10 Tucked Pull Ups
10 normal ones
10 Chin Ups
10 Chin Up Pullovers

She was the only one who still could do her standing side an front aerials, although all of us competed it on beam!

Would you say this is just genetics or her workout?

When we did gymnastics, we did soooo many leg lifts, push-ups, rope climbs, squats, squat jumps... but we never jogged for longer than 10 minutes and also did not do press handstands to this extend.
But we trained up to 25hrs a week! How come she could keep that strength?

What would you say?

First she didn't keep the strength she is working at it.

Next you can not compare her now to all your then.

It's not what you all did then but what are you all doing now, you need to look at.

So what ate you all doing or not doing now.

Hannah, also curious. Your first post, you age is listed as 14, yet 2 yrs ago you all quit at 16-19 making your all 18-21 now.

Hmmmmm I find it both annoying and troubling when folks can't keep their basic story straight.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back