Parents Are your kids able to compete this season?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

So far, we are able to compete. HE had one meet where we got to watch, but the next 2 are no spectators. Then he has Elite Team Cup at the end of February. That will be it for the "regular season" and we just have to see what state/regionals/and nationals looks like.

As far as I know, our gym is only doing an in house meet. I believe they are still figuring out the details. Our gym has been very conservative with Covid, which I’m totally on board with.

No meets for my son this season- only uptraining. A few small in-house meets for my daughter- her team against one other team.

So far, we are able to compete. HE had one meet where we got to watch, but the next 2 are no spectators. Then he has Elite Team Cup at the end of February. That will be it for the "regular season" and we just have to see what state/regionals/and nationals looks like.
Glad he gets to compete! Fingers are crossed for state, regionals,and nationals!

No meets for my son this season- only uptraining. A few small in-house meets for my daughter- her team against one other team.
Nothing wrong with uptraining! And glad she gets to do some in-house meets! Will you have state, regionals, or nationals? Or is your gym just going to stick with in-house for practice?

Nothing wrong with uptraining! And glad she gets to do some in-house meets! Will you have state, regionals, or nationals? Or is your gym just going to stick with in-house for practice?
Definitely no States for DS, not sure about the girls- we haven't heard anything. States is still on the schedule, but I can't see how they can hold it. Some of the coaches were saying that virtual States would be a logistical nightmare, and probably not going to happen. Guess we'll see.

ETA: My kids are at different gyms and their gyms basically took the opposite approach to the season. The coaches at my son's gym decided in the fall that they would not be competing and spent months uptraining and not doing a lot of routines. Just found out last week that he is actually skipping a level, which he is thrilled about. Quite a different story at DD's gym.

As of today, dd's team is still planning on competing. All meets are in person and out of state. First meet is this weekend in Florida.

We are competing. We have 3 local meets scheduled (no spectators) plus state and regionals.

DD’s team is competing in person. Everyone is doing at least 3 meets. Two of them are road trip in state travel meets. Those that do the out of state meet will get 4 meets in before State. State for most girls are in March. Then, who knows for Regionals and beyond.

One virtual meet so far, and one in person. Both in state. This coming weekend was going to be their second in person meet, but the host team unfortunately lost their venue (twice) and switched to virtual. Our team decided to pull out of that meet and hold our own in house meet this weekend.

My daughter's team is not competing but I believe will be providing some in-house events. They are just starting to work on routines now so won't really be ready for another month or so. Our gym was closed for about 4 months last year so I feel like they are just catching up now anyway. Our State is a hotspot for Covid and meets are happening and teams are participating. I am glad we are not participating with in-person meets.

It is hard for our girls to see on social media girls they know from other teams competing, but I think they also know it is crazy that meets are going on with 100 or more people in a session. When my daughter asked a participating gymnast what the Covid rules were, they had the standard masks except when warming up or competing, one parent per gymnast, maybe some cleaning, but to be honest it didn't sound like a lot was different than before covid at least from this one gymnast's perspective who was participating. I am sure the host gym was doing more that was not obvious and this particular gymnast knew about. However, I saw at one meet that a session of L3's had 74 gymnasts in one session. Even with one parent per gymnast that is at least 140 people, plus I am sure at least 8-10 coaches or so, plus 8-9 judges, plus host gym staff to run the meet so I am guessing at minimum 160-180 people in one space. Now the events were at spacious hotels or sports facilities, but I personally would not feel comfortable yet. Plus coaches usually have multiple sessions that they have to coach so they have a greater risk staying inside all day with different sessions. One of the two meets that have occurred also had out of state teams coming in I assume desperate to get actual competition. Not trying to start a heated debate here, but I am glad our team is taking the approach they are. If our team was competing I know my daughter would want to compete and I am not sure I would have the heart to say no, so I get that these are difficult decisions.

Honestly I am just happy my daughter can still practice at this point. I am just taking this year as a year of growth and development and hoping she doesn't get injured and continues to get more confident in her upgrades. Next year is her senior year so I do hope there is opportunity for her to shine next year.

We’re in Florida so we’ve had a full season of competition, heck some of the lower levels had extra competitions thrown in that weren’t there before. Most of the sessions are smaller but we just did one big meet with 80 gymnasts in the session. Their attempt at Covid protocols for awards was the most bizarre, least well thought out thing I’ve ever seen.

My DD had an in person meet this past weekend. Protocols on paper sounded good, but I was pretty disappointed at the lack of compliance I saw from other coaches. I felt comfortable going in because the venue is huge. However, the sessions were bigger than I anticipated and there was not really sufficient space to spread out from other teams, let alone within our team. (i.e. same packed floor for open stretch. We opted for the vault runway).

All that being said, I am happy she was able to compete as she is a Senior and I am not confident that any of the other meets scheduled will actually happen.

Our gym pulled out of all out of state in person meets. The girls have had a virtual mock meet this past weekend, have a virtual real meet this coming weekend, a virtual Judges Cup in February, virtual dual meet in February, and then hopefully two in person meets in state in March.

We've had 3 virtual meets so far and have another scheduled in mid-February. I am pretty sure (but not positive) that they decided Level 9/10 States will also be virtual.

DD has had an in house meet and a large invitational. The invitational made no concessions at all except requiring masks for spectators 10 and up. We have a full schedule including state and regionals, assuming things stay as is. I expect the rest of the meets will be a bit better because here it seems to be 100% up to the host gym what the protocalls are, and the rest on our schedule will care a bit more I believe. Having awards in the same packed ballroom as always, gymnasts shoulder to shoulder was really the icing on the cake. :confused:

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back