Parents Are your kids able to compete this season?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Is anyone in Colorado? I'd like to know how their meets are going, since regionals will be there, if they happen.
Compulsory meets in the fall were allowing 1 spectator per gymnast. When cases rose, that changed to no spectators. Restrictions vary by county with the more populous counties (and the ones with gyms that can hold a meet) having more restrictions. If you're talking about Level 7 Regionals, I believe it will be held at Peak Athletics. The county they are located in has a little more flexibility.

What about Aurora, CO? Platinum regionals is there, I believe in a huge convention center.

It would be interesting to go and not be allowed in, but there's no way my kid would miss regionals after missing out two years in a row. (2 years ago, the old gym felt it was too far to travel to, and last year of course was cancelled.) Hopefully one spectator will be allowed, but if not I am sure a teammate or coach will video her routines for me. My biggest hope is just that it happens.

I'm not sure about Platinum regionals. My gut feeling would be that the governor would not increase restrictions. We had our COVID spike in November and cases are continuing to decrease. I would be fairly confident that regionals will happen and cautiously optimistic that they would allow a limited number of spectators.

I feel for the most part .. or what i have seen this far, is that the meets that have been in person have been run very well with as many precautions as possible! Honestly i am even okay with them not having any spectators if they get to compete!
What are you guys doing?

What about Aurora, CO? Platinum regionals is there, I believe in a huge convention center.

It would be interesting to go and not be allowed in, but there's no way my kid would miss regionals after missing out two years in a row. (2 years ago, the old gym felt it was too far to travel to, and last year of course was cancelled.) Hopefully one spectator will be allowed, but if not I am sure a teammate or coach will video her routines for me. My biggest hope is just that it happens.

Right now, it looks like most are still in the level that would not allow a gathering like a meet, so no spectators. Now some counties are enforcing those and some are not. When are regionals?

My son is a senior, and his next 2 meets in Colorado are not allowing spectators. Hoping to get to watch his state meet, but that isn't looking good either.

My daughter has had one intrasquad which they zoomed for spectators and then a very small home meet (I think she competed against just a few other girls) which had various covid safety measures. I didn't attend. She has two more small in state meets scheduled but with the reminder that things could change or be cancelled. At least one meet here has been cancelled and another rescheduled. She has been given the option for a travel meet. State is on the calendar but again...we will see. I do wish they cancelled all the meets and just uptrained.

Right now, it looks like most are still in the level that would not allow a gathering like a meet, so no spectators. Now some counties are enforcing those and some are not. When are regionals?

My son is a senior, and his next 2 meets in Colorado are not allowing spectators. Hoping to get to watch his state meet, but that isn't looking good either.
Platinum regionals are end of April/beginning of May, so there's hope.

Gymnasts on my daughter's team are competing if they are willing to travel from our area with a VERY high Covid rate to other states with very high Covid rates. So yes, gymnasts on her team are competing and no, she is not. First year level 10 as a sophomore is shot.

Gymnasts on my daughter's team are competing if they are willing to travel from our area with a VERY high Covid rate to other states with very high Covid rates. So yes, gymnasts on her team are competing and no, she is not. First year level 10 as a sophomore is shot.
Darn I am sorry. These are suck terrible times for these kids. If it is of any comfort to you, my daughter has competed in person in a high .. albeit the highest covid rated state in the country and it went very well! The sanitation, social distancing, fewer spectators really went well.

Nothing for my college club daughter, but she's been home since the pandemic started and is working out at her old club.

The men's program has statewide rules. No teams are traveling out of state. Gyms can attend in person meets if they are within the same (sub state) region or one region over. If they would have to cross more than one regional boundary to get to a venue, they can't attend in person. The team just had a meet in a hybrid format: they competed remote and I think four other gyms were there at the venue in person. For our guys, one spectator was allowed in the gym per athlete and everyone else was able to watch on zoom.

Going forward, we don't know for sure what will happen. We're signed up for the Fred Turoff virtual meet. There's talk of a dual meet with another gym that's local. We are hoping that at least one more virtual meet may happen or that one we usually go to downstate won't cancel. No word at all how or if state championships will happen.

Guessing gyms in CA are not competing any time soon:

Non-Essential Travel​

1. Except in connection with essential travel, Californians should avoid non-essential travel to any part of California more than 120 miles from one's place of residence, or to other states or countries. Avoiding travel reduces the risk of virus transmission, including by reducing the risk that new sources of infection and, potentially, new virus strains will be introduced to California.

2. Non-essential travelers from other states or countries are strongly discouraged from entering California, and should adhere to the quarantine procedures set forth in Paragraph 3.

Quarantine Post-Travel​

3. All persons arriving in or returning to California from other states or countries, should self-quarantine for 10 days after arrival, except as necessary to meet urgent critical healthcare staffing needs or to otherwise engage in emergency response. Additionally, this recommendation does not apply to individuals who routinely cross state or country borders for essential travel.

Guessing gyms in CA are not competing any time soon:

Non-Essential Travel​

1. Except in connection with essential travel, Californians should avoid non-essential travel to any part of California more than 120 miles from one's place of residence, or to other states or countries. Avoiding travel reduces the risk of virus transmission, including by reducing the risk that new sources of infection and, potentially, new virus strains will be introduced to California.

2. Non-essential travelers from other states or countries are strongly discouraged from entering California, and should adhere to the quarantine procedures set forth in Paragraph 3.

Quarantine Post-Travel​

3. All persons arriving in or returning to California from other states or countries, should self-quarantine for 10 days after arrival, except as necessary to meet urgent critical healthcare staffing needs or to otherwise engage in emergency response. Additionally, this recommendation does not apply to individuals who routinely cross state or country borders for essential travel.
Your guess would be wrong, unfortunately. Notice the word “should” in those “mandates”. There is no enforcement and many gyms are competing out of state. Hate to be political, but many of these gyms tend to be from the more conservative California counties...

Your guess would be wrong, unfortunately. Notice the word “should” in those “mandates”. There is no enforcement and many gyms are competing out of state. Hate to be political, but many of these gyms tend to be from the more conservative California counties...
Oh. Well, big props to the gyms in CA that are complying with the CA Department of Public Health.

i have also heard this to be true. Not just with gym either. It’s happening with every sport that can find something out of state. Not getting political either, just stating what I have heard from those in these areas of California.

Just wondering if your child is able to compete this season or are forced due to closures not to compete?
We had an inter squad meet in November and December. We had an in person meet last weekend and again the next 2 weekends. We had one meet get canceled if the 6 that were booked. One of the 5 we will attend is out of state. States should happen but Regionals we aren’t sure about. It’s been great to get back out there. The girls are in gym multiple days a week anyway and the venues the meets are at are large and well ventilated so we feel good about it.

It's interesting. I just did a little quick poking around, and it does look like the NY gyms are respecting the pact to stay in state and not travel across regions so far. Very little happening right now. I wonder if more conservative states will drive what happens for regionals, if regionals even happen.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back