WAG Arm problems in back walkovers

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymgirllove

Proud Parent
My daughter used to have a really solid back walkover but stoped practicing it due to a back injury, she’s trying to get it again but now when she’s going in to the bridge her arms give out from under her. Are there any good things to practice strengthening mostly elbows, but your back walkover in general?

Arms collapsing in a back walkover is rarely caused by a lack of arm strength. If she can hold a good handstand for a few seconds then that is all the arm strength she needs for a back walkover. It can look like the problem, because that is where she falls, up the collapsing arms is usually a symptom of other problems.

Ie
Bending base leg going into the walkover
Not enough hip flexor flexibility
Dropping the front leg, not taking it over in the walkover
Lack of shoulder flexibility
Head in the wrong position
Not pushing shoulders over hands

She should perhaps just practice her bridge from the stand, a good drill would also be to walk her hands down a wall until she touches the ground and does a bridge? When I practiced my balk walkover, looking at my hands while going down and focusing on keeping my arms straight helped. And for strength exercices: tight push ups (with the elbows squeezed to the body) work great, pit they are pretty difficult for a beginner, so start on the knees if it’s too difficult. I hope I could help, good luck!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back