Parents Article on parenting a gymnast...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

MaryA

Proud Parent
Proud Parent
A friend tagged me on Facebook with a link to this article. Nothing new or earth-shattering, but some decent common-sense advice compiled in one place. I'm trying not to take it personally that she tagged me. I'm sure she thinks that my DD is being "deprived of a normal childhood" but I know her DD puts in similar hours playing video games as mine does doing gymnastics...

http://annejosephson.wordpress.com/...-misguided-ideas-of-well-meaning-gym-parents/

I honestly think this could be written about just about any sport. Travel baseball, travel hockey, etc. I think each sport/activity can create a certain amount of crazy in people.

Mary A I wouldn't take it personally either. My DD's former coach just posted this too and some of the advice directly conflicts with what she has said in the past and some of the rules she has (especially regarding training time and being a kid). It made me chuckle. But, overall, it's pretty much common sense stuff that applies to any kids sport.

A couple of moms from my son's team posted that article on FB yesterday. Without more background on your relationship with her, I would not read anything into her tagging you in the post. She probably just saw that it was about gymnastics and thought you'd like to read it. Tagging is just a way to make sure you see something.

I thought it was mildly interesting-- mostly common sense stuff, though. I just read the comments underneath, though, and there's one guy who doesn't seem to understand that "gym" in this article means a place where gymnastics is taught rather than a place to run on a treadmill. "Why send your kid to a gym when they can just play in a park?" Hahahaha!

funny how quickly these things get passed around. someone shared the link the other day too. I found it to be a good reminder for parents and coaches, both of whom can find themselves in that mindset of placing blame, bribing, placing unrealistic expectations, and displaying poor adult behavior.

While it is good advice, I agree that it goes for all sports. I can't keep up with how many people have asked me where I "see my kids going with this" or comment that unless their kids were going to the Olympics that they wouldn't do what I'm doing with my kids. This started when my son moved up to 5 hours per week! I don't see people asking the same thing of soccer and lacrosse moms. It is accepted that those kids do it because they love it. If they get a scholarship, hey. Bonus!

Honestly though, kudos to you for not taking it personally. Because I'm pretty sure I would. And depending on my mood I'd either find an article on how bad screen time is for kids and tag her in that or find an article that talks about how good gymnastics is for other aspects of a child's life and put that in the response.

It is definitely a common sense article but I always wonder what exactly is meant by a 'normal' childhood. These days for most kids that seems to be sitting around playing video games or texting or snapchat. Personally I would rather have DD spend hours in the gym during the week then sitting around playing video games. And really, you are only traveling about 5-10 a year our 52 or so. Plenty of time to do normal childhood stuff.

It is definitely a common sense article but I always wonder what exactly is meant by a 'normal' childhood. These days for most kids that seems to be sitting around playing video games or texting or snapchat. Personally I would rather have DD spend hours in the gym during the week then sitting around playing video games. And really, you are only traveling about 5-10 a year our 52 or so. Plenty of time to do normal childhood stuff.

Amen! I could not agree more!

ANYTHING a child is involved in has the potential to go crazy and bring with it crazy parents, not just sports. Child stars anyone? So this is definitely applicable to nearly any situation, just by changing out the specifics.

I agree! This article is specific to gym but I personally have witnessed more of the crazy parents in baseball, football & a little bit in soccer with my DS. The parents are just sure their little Johnny is going pro or playing college ball. In the gym, I'd say the only thing I've really witnessed was a little bit of bribery for kids when they get a skill here or there (not us, gymnastics is expensive enough! Lol). I have seen a few other things too but those kids/parents don't last long here. I do have people gasp when they hear how long she's in gym a week. Believe me when I say I question it and worry constantly without anyone saying a word. It's her choice though and she loves it, so we just try support her.

And I'm pretty sure I would have taken being tagged in that post personally too! You're better than me. I'm already pretty sensitive about how people view how long she's in gym at her age.

Hi all, I'm the author of the article in question and just want to assure you all that this was not a take down of gymnastics in particularly! It just happened that this version of the article was written for my blog that is for my gym (and anyone who is interested in gymnastics). Another version of the article directed at sports parenting in general was published today on the Huffington Post http://huff.to/1rnUFhD so feel free to forward that one to your pals whose kids are in other sports! :p

And, yes, I think it is great for kids to be in the gym (it is what I do for a living!) instead of in front of a screen. And for the sweet mom who handled being tagged in it with such class, there are lots of articles on my blog that point out all of the tremendous benefits of gymnastics to share with your friend!

Thank you, JAG GYM! It didn't sound like you were trying to take down gymnastics at all. It's a great article about gym. I imagine at many gyms this is an issue. I'm thankful it's not at ours! And I'll have to check out your blog! Thanks again!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back