ASAP Mental block! Leving for Nationals tuesday!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

So tuesday I am leaving for high school gymnastics nationals in Florida. This wednesday, I had developed a mental block. I was working on punch fulls (round off style entrance) off a trampoline. After I was done working on them I tried doing front tucks and I couldnt go forward anymore, I wanted to twist. Then I got to the point where I would just stop. I left that night and returned to gym on Thursday. While working on floor I realized my mental block spread to floor. One of my tumbling passes is front front. I couldnt do it, I would run and stop! This continued Saturday and today.
Im not scared of front tucks. I have done probably over 2000 front tucks since my season started. I have done my front front pass hundreds of times. I have competed it multiple times.
I am leaving for nationals tuesday and I compete friday and I have a fear that i will be in the middle of my routine and I will just run and not do my front front!
I re taught myself to do standing punch front tucks. And I could do it every-other time running...but really slow. When I try running fast to prep for front fronts I just cant go!
any ideas? or advice? I have one practice tomorrow and then im off.

Don't freak out or think about it too much during the day. When you're at practice, just let your body go when you get to that pass; it knows what to do. I had something similar happen to me in level 6; I had been pulling in on my flyaway and then one day I just refused to let go of the bar. I got all worked up about it and a couple days later it got to the point where I thought I had forgotten how to flip off the bar and I physically couldn't do a flyaway anymore because I was waaayyy overthinking it. I finally just let myself go, didn't really think about what I was doing while I was swinging, let go of the bar and... I DID A FLYAWAY! So just trust that your body knows what to do, don't think about it, and go!

Hope this helps, and good luck at Nationals!

Think, "how much do I love gymnastics?" That oughta fix things up! When I get mental blocks, I make myself to do it, and it feels great. Plus your coaches will be proud :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back