Parents Asked to join team!!!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Flip4funmom

Proud Parent
My son, Weslan was asked to join T & T team today! He just turned 5 a month ago and his coach has been eyeing him for awhile waiting for the transition from MAG to T&T. His coach is sure he will be ready to compete when the program starts competing in January. I'm very proud and excited for my son but I'm concerned if this is to much for him. He will be in the gym 2hrs a day 3 days a week. He is also starting kindergarten in the fall.

I am also nervous about the other side of things, we still have concerns about his legs/hips ( we have an appointment with his dr but since we treat at Shriners we have to wait until July. A call to his dr said tramponline is low impact and causes no increased risk). I was also informed there is a "team contract" what is that? I am concerned about all the ins and outs of competitive team life.

Help me out !!

Congratulations, how cool! Does he look forward to it? If it is something he wants and he enjoys the training, and it is brought to him in a playful manner fitting his age, I think there is not so much to worry about. Just go with the flow and adjust where and when necessary.

I don't know about your medical questions but if you have doubts, definately check things out with a professional. Lots of luck! I hope he will have a lot of fun in team.

Oh and a team contract is usually about the do's and don'ts when in team. Usually expectations from parents (paying, watching practice etc) and gymnasts (being on time, not skipping class, behavior etc) sometimes combined with information about competitions, trainings etc, but sometimes this is a different handbook kind of document. Purpose is that you know what you are getting into and what is expected from you and your son. It differs per gym but you can look up examples on google to get an idea. https://www.google.nl/search?q=team...me..69i57j0.7261j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

My son went from 1 hr/wk to 6 (3hr, 2d/wk) in 1st grade, we were quite worried. Basically we let him know that if he was tired, not feeling well, etc that we can always take a day off or leave early. Honestly, he almost never needed it, loved it, and increased again the following year. Good luck, keep it low pressure at home and it will be great!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back