Parents Asked to leave Xcel bronze?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

RALG

Proud Parent
I guess xcel isn't more intense than I thought. My daughter was put on xcel bronze in May and was just asked to leave this week, not for behavior, not for lack of working hard but because they believe she will be lacking the skills needed to compete all 4 events by January. (She can't really do anything on bars not even a pullover) She's pretty bummed and I'm not sure how to address it. They asked her to go back and take beginner classes which is fine but she was looking forward to performing and staying on team with her friends. She would not be able to be competitive or get good scores but I not sure she'd care much. Maybe the gym does but they are the ones who put her on team.She'd be in it for the fun and doing her best. I kind of thought that what xcel was...

What do I tell her? She's very young btw- currently in preschool

Ugh, that's hard. For a preschooler, I don't know why they wouldn't just keep her and spot her through the routines. She'd get bad scores but who really cares at that age, and she'd improve more doing that and would be ready for Bronze next year.

Is she five then? How long has she been practicing with team? I don't think I would care for a gym that just boots her instead of working with her. Do they have a pre team program instead of Rec that she could go to?

Why would a gym take a preschool child into an Xcel bronze competitive group who didn't have the skills in the first place? It's not your fault that the gym made a poor decision. She should have been left in a recreational program (till she had most of the skills needed) or moved to a pre-team group if they saw potential and wanted to give her a bit more training.

I would be more upset with why she was placed with the team in the first place then why she was asked to leave it. If she doesn’t have basic skills required to compete, then she can’t compete. Preschool is awful young to have a kid competing in any level outside of a child prodigy future Olympian in the making. I would just tell your daughter she can practice some more and try out next year when she’s gotten more of her skills down.

For some gyms Xcel is a second rate team with the whatever coaches and anyone can join mentality. But many treat Xcel like much more. My gym has some of the JO coaches also coaching Xcel silver and up, and you have to try out for Xcel. They expect the skills and routines to be performed clean and well and don’t let girls compete who haven’t mastered the minimum required skills at the very least. Our teams generally medal well and win 1 or 2 at most competitions against other gyms who also train Xcel well with good coaching.

If you just want to compete for the fun of competing, there will be a laid back gym out there that is perfect for that and willing to spot and take lower scoring girls on their team. Nothing wrong with that as it can be used for fun if you want. But if you want a well rounded gymnast who wants to win at least sometimes, the. You need a gym who expects more. Doesn’t sound like your current gym is a good fit since they apparently have some skill expectations but didn’t make sure your daughter met those expectations before getting her excited by placing her on team.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back