Parents Asking requirements to move up a level

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I guess I am trying to learn from experience. Our last gym was not up front about team or expectations until we tried out and said she was too old but never offered any other opportunities (nor did I inquire but had no clue what all gymnastics meant until I began looking what team and levels, etc meant)
So moving forward - new gym - amazing atmosphere and great up front people. My daughter is xcel silver but so close to xcel gold. (Consistently is key) Would I be “that parent” if I asked how they move up or when they do? Ie - once skills are consistent or at the end of session we evaluate etc. I rather know what their criteria is but I don’t want to be that parent either but past experience says I should have asked earlier on.

I know that at our gym, we typically do move ups for summer training. Our groups for summer went out two weeks ago, but final decisions about what level will be competed after summer training for those who were borderline. We make our decision based on whether or not an athlete will be successful at the next level. We also consider an athlete's temperament and personality: will they be happier being pushed and doing harder skills and maybe scoring a little lower, or could they use a confidence boost from being at the top? Do they have room to upgrade still within the level?

We have the information on when and how we determine move ups in our team handbook, so your more general questions would already be answered there. If you don't have anything comparable, it wouldn't hurt to send an email just asking about what's next now that season is over. I also try to talk to the kids to help manage expectations, so if your daughter is comfortable talking to her coach, that would be fine too.

We typically just sent out the groups and that's pretty much it. If kids have questions, they usually just ask us.

Our gym meets with parents and provides us each with a spreadsheet of skills so that we understand where they are at in comparison to the requirements for the level/gym. At our gym, girls can't move to Gold without a kip, roundoff backhandspring backhandspring, front tuck, and back walkover on beam. They do not seem to make many exceptions on this. I do not think this is completely aligned with Gold requirements though, so it's important to understand what your gym does as it may be different.

To directly answer your question though - no, I don't think it's a bad thing to inquire so that you better understand. What I would not do (and I've seen a parent at our gym do this recently) is corner the coaches after every practice to see if any progress has been made on the missing skills. Your gymnast will tell you when she gets something new, especially a skills she's been working on!

I think its fine to ask if you frame it as you just need to know so you can be prepared (very much how you framed it on your question here) Something like Generally speaking do you guys set levels/do move ups at a set time each year if so when, or is it more of a move up as you have skills. Just want to know what to expect since we are new.

Our gym meets with parents and provides us each with a spreadsheet of skills so that we understand where they are at in comparison to the requirements for the level/gym. At our gym, girls can't move to Gold without a kip, roundoff backhandspring backhandspring, front tuck, and back walkover on beam. They do not seem to make many exceptions on this. I do not think this is completely aligned with Gold requirements though, so it's important to understand what your gym does as it may be different.

To directly answer your question though - no, I don't think it's a bad thing to inquire so that you better understand. What I would not do (and I've seen a parent at our gym do this recently) is corner the coaches after every practice to see if any progress has been made on the missing skills. Your gymnast will tell you when she gets something new, especially a skills she's been working on!
This is a great idea! So glad they do that for yall!

I think its fine to ask if you frame it as you just need to know so you can be prepared (very much how you framed it on your question here) Something like Generally speaking do you guys set levels/do move ups at a set time each year if so when, or is it more of a move up as you have skills. Just want to know what to expect since we are new.
Agree and that's all we want to know. :)

Definitely not my style. I guess I was asking to make sure this was an ok thing too before becoming that parent you mentioned. I think my DD is ok with asking her coach as well. Open communication is good and HUGE at the new gym. They always roundtable almost about everything. That is new to us and she loves it, gives a chance to get constructive criticism but praise as well.

During the summer months, our gym sends progress reports home with the gymnasts each month. If a gynnnast competed level six this past year for example, it would include level six, level seven and level eight skills. Then the coach will indicate which skills the gymnast is working on, or can do with a spot, or is competition ready. It is easy to see what skills are required for the next level. A great visual for the gymnasts and parents.

Part of the problem for gyms is that the move up criteria is t always tangible.

Parents and gymnasts naturally would like a list of skills they need to acquire to know what to work on. Buts it’s rarely a case of tick the box, skill achieved.

The criteria for team selection includes a lot of things that are harder to quantify like technique, effort, attitude, muscle twitch speed, fearlessness, coachability etc.

Its going to be relatively subjective, and it’s going to come down to coaches opinion (educated opinion in most cases) as to whether or not a child fits that criteria. That can be a hard thing for coaches to discuss with parents.

This is often why the selection criteria can come across as so secretive.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back