Parents Assessment at another gym

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

eakrtk

Proud Parent
Hello all - first post here! Due to a multitude of reasons, we're having my DS (6) assessed at another gym tomorrow. When he first joined team at his current gym, he didn't need to try out - they just asked him to join team and that was that.

So, this is his first time being formally evaluated/trying out for a program. What sort of things do they generally do/look for during this process? I'm trying to somewhat prepare him so he knows what to expect, but since we've never been here, I have no idea!

Any help is appreciated!

We recently moved and went for assessments at two different gyms. In both instances, they just had her practice with their gymnasts of the same level- one gym for one practice, the other for a whole week's worth. Nothing special, just moved her through practice with them as usual.

I would say to just have him go in and do his thing. For boys at that age, a lot of time they are looking at listening and following direction skills, as well as gymnastics. he should have a good base for that having been in classes like that already.

When my ds switched gyms this year at 14, they asked him a lot of questions, I think mainly to get to know him and then had him show skills on different events. Then he got to practice with the group for a week before a final decision was made by them or us. It was pretty laid back and informal honestly.

I think, at 6, it would be even more laid back and informal. Do you know if it is 1:1 with a coach or if it is with the whole group?

Good luck to him and welcome to CB!

When mine were assessed at their current gym they just worked with the team coaches for a bit - maybe 30 minutes? They had them do things on a variety of events but not all. It was more the base skills they had them do - tap swings, swings on p bars, l holds, etc. seemed they were mostly looking at strength, flexibility and listening skills at that age/level.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back