WAG At home gymnastics birthday party ideas?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

stargazer

Gymnast
My coworker is buying a small bar and gymnastics mat for her daughter's 7th birthday, and I'm going over to help entertain the kids/run a gymnastics-themed birthday party for an hour or two. I'm a gymnast myself and coached rec for a few years, and fully intend on giving the always-be-super-careful-with-at-home-equipment speech, so it won't be a free for all with kids running around hurting themselves (in case you're cringing at the idea of a self-run gymnastics party).

Does anyone have ideas of things I can do with the kids that are still gymnastics-y or dance-y but require little to no equipment? They're 6-7 years old and there will be about 7 of them. The birthday girl has done a bit of rec gymnastics but nothing major, and I don't imagine the other kids will have much experience. It's been a while since I coached so I've forgotten a lot of games!

Thanks!!

Yep - I was also going to suggest an obstacle course.

I also once did a "pin the gymnast on the balance beam" activity. Just like pin the tail on the donkey but I stuck a line on the wall as the "beam" and then had cutouts of a gymnast and they used that to try to stick to the beam.

They could make hair ribbons - Just buy regular pony tail rubber bands and then lots of different ribbon, cut into 6-8" strips. They tie them onto the pony tail holders.

Any sort of balancing games, like taping two lines on the floor as the "beams" and then doing races walking the "beam" with something balanced on a spoon or their head.

Crabwalk races (where you are on your hands and feet but NOT in an arched back bend - like your butt is almost on the floor.)

Even things like the longest to stand on 1 foot balancing games would work.

I have bought cheap water bottles online and a pack of white scrunchies. They can decorate those things with puffy paint and fabric pens.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back