WAG At home uneven bars

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hi. My daughters (ages 10 & 8) would like uneven bars or at least 1 bar that can be lower or higher at home. We have a pretty nice home made one but it is just a metal bar and is not the best on the kids hands and legs.
When looking online most seem small and not heavy duty and since the girls are getting bigger I don’t think they will work.
Any recommendations on one to buy? We might move it outside on nicer days to practice bigger skills.
Also please let me know if there are any concerns with having bars at home.
Thanks!

In before the smack down! Lol, just a little humor. Bars at home, no-no. Keep gym at the gym. Safe controlled environment. Unless you're talking about the little baby, kip bar, but I think you sound like you want something more robust. It doesn't exist, and as I am sure everyone on here will advise against home gym equipment. Things can quickly get dangerous.

Yeah, the home bars won't be very stable for kids over a certain age/weight, which can be dangerous. Home equipment can also unintentionally lead to bad form on skills that kids practice at home, but haven't perfected in the gym. I think this is especially true for bars. There are ways to practice bar skill progressions/drills at home without bars, such as having kids do pull-ups and planks, and things like core work. Those will help them get stronger on bars and be safe to do at home. Find out if they can go to open gym if they want to do bars skills that require "real" bars.

You definitely don’t want an uneven bar set it a strong stable single bar set at home. Practicing big bar skills at home, is incredibly dangerous.

If you need convincing just google gymnastics bars injuries or have a look on YouTube.

A small less stable bar can be fine though, for strength. But it should feel to the kids like they can’t do bigger skills on it, so they are not tempted.

You don't want to have uneven bars at home it is dangerous and if they only want to to learn new skills at home and not waiting for coaches then definitely don't get it.

If they want to have it for baby skills ( pull-over, back hip circle and leg cut) then get a kip bar.

Just no do NOT get a uneven bars.

You don't want to have uneven bars at home it is dangerous and if they only want to to learn new skills at home and not waiting for coaches then definitely don't get it.

If they want to have it for baby skills ( pull-over, back hip circle and leg cut) then get a kip bar.

Just no do NOT get a uneven bars.
Ok, thanks! I should have said it is mostly for kips, front hip circles and maybe squat on….I thought maybe the kid bars online are still too small for a 10 yr old but maybe they are ok.

Ok, thanks! I should have said it is mostly for kips, front hip circles and maybe squat on….I thought maybe the kid bars online are still too small for a 10 yr old but maybe they are ok.
You're welcome they have very good bars on Amazon for a reasonable price

I definitely agree with no squat ons. Can't tell you how many girls fall on those. My dd fell at a L5 meet and would have probably gotten injured if her trained coach was not there to catch her.

We had a kip bar before I joined here and realized that it wasn't such a great idea. I don't think it ended up hurting her gymnastics but it didn't help either. But it was a waste of money. She enjoyed it at first and was excited to use it but then it just sat there collecting dust.

We had a kip bar and the kiddo loved it for like a year. I didnt particularly like it because it wasnt stable enough for me to feel like she could use it without me standing on it and by her to make sure she was safe...and thats just doing little skills like the ones you mention (and she was only like 45 lbs and it still didnt feel fully secure to do stuff on it alone).

After about a year she didnt use it anymore she had her kip and the things she was working on can't be worked on at home. You see a lot of kids that start working cast handstands on their little bars....and you see a ton of bad form on cast handstands on home bars so something to think about. All in all that bar got used for 1 year and sat unused for 4 more years before she would "let me" sell it. The pull up bar on the other hand is used every day best $10 used on craigslist I ever spent!

I definitely agree with no squat ons. Can't tell you how many girls fall on those. My dd fell at a L5 meet and would have probably gotten injured if her trained coach was not there to catch her.

We had a kip bar before I joined here and realized that it wasn't such a great idea. I don't think it ended up hurting her gymnastics but it didn't help either. But it was a waste of money. She enjoyed it at first and was excited to use it but then it just sat there collecting dust.
Not to pile on here, but yes, even "simple" squat ons can be scary! I saw two high scoring gymnasts fall on these at meets and it was scary to see. The coaches caught the girls but one sustained a minor injury, and both girls were obviously shaken up.

The more expensive kip bar tumbltrak sells would work for you. I’ll tell you though — even on the lowest setting with every mat imaginable, I cringe when my daughter does a squat on on her home bar. Front and back kip circle? Sure. Glide swing/kip? Ok? Anything above the bar? Asking for trouble even if it the bar is strong and stable.

The more expensive kip bar tumbltrak sells would work for you. I’ll tell you though — even on the lowest setting with every mat imaginable, I cringe when my daughter does a squat on on her home bar. Front and back kip circle? Sure. Glide swing/kip? Ok? Anything above the bar? Asking for trouble even if it the bar is strong and stable.
Agreed, for at least the first year of doing squat ons, I never allow a kid to do it without a spot.

Probably about 1 in 50 times, I have kid who would have fallen on their face if I wasn’t there.

That’s the problem with the skill, when they get it those 49 times out of 50, it feels safe. But they are falling from an awkward position on time 50, I dread to imagine what would happen if that one time in 50 was at home.

That’s the problem with the skill, when they get it those 49 times out of 50, it feels safe. But they are falling from an awkward position on time 50, I dread to imagine what would happen if that one time in 50 was at home.
For sure. I've seen some Level 4 and 5 top bar finishers lose focus at some random practice and catch their toe on the bar -- falling from a 6 foot vertical height right onto their face. It would have been disastrous if they freaked out and posted their arm to brace themselves on the fall.

We ended up getting the tumble trak Pro and they are having a blast practicing front and back hip circles and kips. Perfect for us.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back