Parents Attending A Meet as a Spectator

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

NY Dad

Proud Parent
Has anyone been to the Cactus Cup? Would it be worthwhile to attend this meet as a spectator? Would it be worthwhile to attend any meet as a spectator? ;)

My family and I will be on vacation in AZ and I happen to notice the timing would work out very nicely to watch level 8-10 compete. My dd (level 2) has been recovering from an injury for over a month so she’s been away from gymnastics (though she’s started some conditioning again). I thought she might enjoy watching a meet which we've never done before.

I've heard so many people talk about dreading going to meets (even to watch their own kids) so I wasn't sure whether it would really be a worthwhile but I figured I would ask. Reading other posts about meets it sounds like it would not be unusual for overcrowding, dealing with CGM/CGD (not CBers), disorganization, poor planning, lots of waiting, poor views,.... Possibly the last place anyone would want to be unless they were there to watch their gymnast.

Thanks for any opinions.

I think it depends on the person. We spend so much time in and at gymnastics and meets. I have not desire to go when we don't have to, nor does my kid. We do watch on TV though.

Unless it something like the AT&T Cup or perhaps a NCAA meet, with actual stadium seating.

Other folks just love to see gymnastics.

i would have enjoyed it in our early days.
now- we see it enough.
if your kid seems excited about going, then go for it!
the college meet would be a great idea too (but of course they run a lot diffrently than regular meets so you won't be getting a glimpse into how your kid's meets will look if that was part of your goal.)

I would prefer the college meet over the Cactus Cup myself. I'm hoping to take my daughter to the NCAA Regionals this year if schedule allows. It'll be her (and mine) first gymnastics meet outside of any she has competed in. She's into college gymnastics so I'm sure she'll be psyched.

I took my daughter to the NCAA championships last year, and had a blast! It was the most fun meet ever! We went to the Olympic trials after that, and as amazing as it was, skill-wise and history-wise, we both agreed that the NCAA champs were more fun. I'd go to a college meet in a heartbeat if one presented itself easily!

NY Dad -

While the roster of attending gyms looks OK, it really isn't that spectacular. This is just another meet as far as I can see.

Now, if the ASU meet works for you I would highly recommend that over a JO meet. ASU isn't that great (they are rebuilding after a huge coaching issue), but Stanford is always at the top of the PAC-12 and they are really good. It is an afternoon meet, so that still leaves time afterwards for other things.

Have fun!

Our meets are generally well run. The only issue we have consistently is that there isn't enough seating if the meet is at the hosting gym. If you want to see a JO meet, I would suggest going to one where your dd's teammates are competing and arrive early.

After meets at the D1 school where I live, the college girls sign team posters for fans. They are so sweet to all the young gymmies. And it's free too. Not sure is ASU does something like this (maybe someone here know) but if they do, it's definitely a cool souvenir for kids. I think DD has 5 years of team posters in her room.

Thank you for all the replies. We'll be arriving a few hours too late for the ASU/Stanford meet. I should have assumed that a college meet is nothing like an upper level JO meet. It's also helpful to hear opinions of that specific meet. I guess we'll hold off this time.

Has anyone been to the Cactus Cup? Would it be worthwhile to attend this meet as a spectator? Would it be worthwhile to attend any meet as a spectator? ;)

My family and I will be on vacation in AZ and I happen to notice the timing would work out very nicely to watch level 8-10 compete. My dd (level 2) has been recovering from an injury for over a month so she’s been away from gymnastics (though she’s started some conditioning again). I thought she might enjoy watching a meet which we've never done before.

I've heard so many people talk about dreading going to meets (even to watch their own kids) so I wasn't sure whether it would really be a worthwhile but I figured I would ask. Reading other posts about meets it sounds like it would not be unusual for overcrowding, dealing with CGM/CGD (not CBers), disorganization, poor planning, lots of waiting, poor views,.... Possibly the last place anyone would want to be unless they were there to watch their gymnast.

Thanks for any opinions.

My DD will be competing at that meet (lvl 6) and we have attended it for a few years now. It is a well run meet. The venue is nice with good seating - good viewing of every event. The location is also good because there is good food/shopping/entertainment within walking distance.

If you can't make the NCAA meet - this would be fun for any gymnast. My DD loves watching sessions she is not in - if just to critique leotards and listen to cool floor music. If you need more info feel free to PM meet and I might be able to tell you which sessions will be fun!

Just wanted to follow up. Again, thanks everyone for the opinions. I totally understand where most of you were coming from but based on Mommyo2az suggestion we went. We had great seats. My dd got to see what a meet is like and we all had a lot of fun. Based in everything I've read on CB, this was a very well run, organized meet.

After watching the meet I think my dd put a little extra effort into her PT this evening. She's so eager to get back to gymnastics after her injury, now we just need her ortho and PT to agree.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back