WAG Attire deduction

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Its not the gyms fault but I didn't spend $$$ to have it start pilling after one meet (and honestly I expect better from GK but thats a topic for a whole other thread :mad: )

Sort of off topic but our gym's leos this year are GK (quite appropriate, thankfully) and the Navy body is bleeding into the white sleeves even just during competition. Those who have washed the leos and weren't careful got it much worse. I too would expect way more from GK.

Hey, here's an even crazier idea. When our XCel team was getting new leos this year, the coach let the Diamonds decide. They picked a beautiful leo with a black trunk and 3/4 sleeves that looks flattering on everyone. None of them wanted a high cut.
That's sort of how we did things at my old gym. HC, myself, and another coach (who worked primarily with teens) looked at the leo company website and each picked out a few designs. We narrowed down to 3 we all liked and came up with color combos and then showed to the high schoolers for their selection. Once we had it picked we showed the other gymnasts/parents so if there were any concerns they could be addressed before the order was placed.
Hoever, the 3 of us picking the leos were also pretty traditional with no interest in high leg cuts, backless, strange mesh cutouts, weird necklines, etc. And we still had very nice, reasonably priced leos that presented well on the competition floor and that the kids loved. We also let parents/gymnasts pick the appropriate size, even if there were a few wrinkles in the fabric. When it came to kids between sizes we let them choose which was most comfortable to them, even if we would have chosen the size down.
I know of some gyms that pick the kids size for them with no or little input from the gymnast or parent and many times it's a size smaller than what the gymnast would prefer.

Yes we had the same thing happen as well with GK with the black bleeding onto the other color. I was very careful with washing and didn’t really have issues there, but I never imagined that sweating during a meet would cause issues. It was worse with the older girls who sweat more. Fortunately GK replaced the really bad ones.

We are having the same thing happen. My kid isn't even old enough to sweat yet! It is simply just from the two fabrics rubbing against each other. GK isn't bothering to set their dyes, it seems.

Sort of off topic but our gym's leos this year are GK (quite appropriate, thankfully) and the Navy body is bleeding into the white sleeves even just during competition. Those who have washed the leos and weren't careful got it much worse. I too would expect way more from GK.
GK (and Alpha Factor and probably others) warn about the possibility of color-bleeding when using a combination of dark and light colors. Our last GK leotard had black, columbia blue, and silver. We were warned about color bleeding.
One of the girls had a sister who "lovingly" vomited on the sleeve of her competition leotard. Their mom, trying to get the smell out, tried everything. The 5th time washing it, she washed the leotard in HOT water. The smell was STILL there ... and the silver was now charcoal and the columbia blue was more of a slate blue. She had to order a new team leo.
Silver lining: She removed the sleeves (eliminating the smell) and had an awesome practice leotard ;)

Reactions: sce
Yeah, but I think they're using that disclaimer as an excuse not to do their jobs. I messaged with another mom who had the same issue and had to get a new leo. When she got the new one, she set the dye and had almost no issues. Shouldn't that have been done before it was sewn? On a $220 leo?

Bleeding can always occur in the washing and drying process, vomiting, spilling...but I don't believe it should happen just because two dry fabrics are touching each other.

GK gives big warnings about ahivng dark and light fabrcs next to each other. The color bleeding can't fully be avoided.

We have moreau with black, white and orange and no bleeding over or whatever... the shine gets out of the fabric really quickly though

Our leos are mostly similar colors, and although maybe not as vibrant after years of my passionate washing usually still looks new after two years of wear. So far no coverage or back issues. Knock on wood.

We had dreamlight leos till they got bought by GK granted they were more than this years (about $100 more) but two years of competitions and it looked just as good as the day we got it. It had dark bottom to teal middle white on top no color bleeding no wear and tear--it was awesome. Current GK Leos came with ALL sorts of problems--misprints issues rhinestone pattern wrong and offcenter and though the bottom was black, when you bent over it was almost see through--even on my tiny 9 year old with no curves. GK ended up giving us a liner for free due to complaints but they tried to say it was the design but come on We had to get a liner for a black and red leo. And the sizers they sent were ALL stretched out so over half the girl ordered the wrong size because when the coaches saw them in the sizer leos they made them order a size smaller because they looked huge on the girls. Its been a mess and now after wearing it for ONE MEET there is pilling on one of the arms--i am guessing from rubbing against the rhinestones but that never happened with our old leo even after two seasons of wearing it. They tried to blame it on a backpack she only has her backpack on for 2 minutes and thats over her jacket not her leo. I am just fed up with GK I really hope next leo cycle we go with a different company. Also at our first meet there were a lot of teams in more practice style leos (not long sleeve) and rumor at the meet is tons of teams had issues with GK and didn't have the leos for the girls in time or issues caused a reorder so they had to do something else for this meet. Just disapointing when you have to drop a car payment for a leotard.

We had dreamlight leos till they got bought by GK granted they were more than this years (about $100 more) but two years of competitions and it looked just as good as the day we got it. It had dark bottom to teal middle white on top no color bleeding no wear and tear--it was awesome. Current GK Leos came with ALL sorts of problems--misprints issues rhinestone pattern wrong and offcenter and though the bottom was black, when you bent over it was almost see through--even on my tiny 9 year old with no curves. GK ended up giving us a liner for free due to complaints but they tried to say it was the design but come on We had to get a liner for a black and red leo. And the sizers they sent were ALL stretched out so over half the girl ordered the wrong size because when the coaches saw them in the sizer leos they made them order a size smaller because they looked huge on the girls. Its been a mess and now after wearing it for ONE MEET there is pilling on one of the arms--i am guessing from rubbing against the rhinestones but that never happened with our old leo even after two seasons of wearing it. They tried to blame it on a backpack she only has her backpack on for 2 minutes and thats over her jacket not her leo. I am just fed up with GK I really hope next leo cycle we go with a different company. Also at our first meet there were a lot of teams in more practice style leos (not long sleeve) and rumor at the meet is tons of teams had issues with GK and didn't have the leos for the girls in time or issues caused a reorder so they had to do something else for this meet. Just disapointing when you have to drop a car payment for a leotard.
my absolute favorite comp leo that dd has worn through the years was a Dreamlight. It was a hand-me-down that previous gymnast had worn for 2 or 3 years and looked nearly new when dd was done with it after another 2 years (4-5yrs!). The only issue was some missing rhinestones on the mesh arms. Sadly, the gym changed leo design after that (and every 2 years following :(). Really miss that leo.

So glad we switched to Alpha Factor (2 years after having GK come in with sizers to get "the right sizes." The sizers were nylon ... and the legs had the 2 different leg options, so you couldn't really get a sense of how our MYSTIQUE piecework leotard would look). The GK rep #1 - didn't tell us that after that season, the leotard would be special order only ... and would only be available until the end of November that next year. #2 - I wanted YG to get a Child Large ... but the rep, when she had it on, pulled it up to make it "fit right" at the bottom and showed HC how much room there was at the top. She had her try the CM on and showed HC how it fit much better. So, we got the CM. YG had a small growth spurt, but didn't go up a size in practice leotards and the OLD team leotard still fit her. Well, the new one was tight. She wore it for the season and her next growth spurt wasn't until October of the next year. It was tighter, but she could still get it on. She would put it on right before her session and take it off before awards (she wore shorts and a t-shirt under her warm ups for awards). It was really tight at Championships in March. By May, when she had a last chance qualifier meet for Y Nationals, she could barely squeeze into it. Luckily, there were ONLY 4 girls in the meet. She put it on AFTER stretching. She wore it for 30 minutes then, the meet was over. I had to help her literally PEEL it off. I knew she couldn't wear it to Nationals 2 months later. Luckily for her, one of her older teammates was injured and unable to compete at Nationals (she was injured in January, so it isn't like we were happy she got injured after YG needed to find a leotard to borrow). She wore an Adult Extra Small and let YG borrow it. It fit PERFECTLY. Lol, I told HC that if we had gotten the CL I had wanted, she would have been able to wear it comfortably both years and just been a little bit tight for Nationals that 2nd year.
After that, HC let the gymnasts and parents have an input into the size of comp leotards. It's even easier now because we have AF competition leotards in almost every size to use as sizers (we have been in AF for 6 years now). We don't have to worry about stretched out sizers or sizers in a different material. And the leotards arrive ON TIME!

We have black sleeves with a dark, bright colored bottom. But even with the bottom being dark, the black still bled. I had even washed before she wore it the first time (it actually didn’t bleed onto the other fabric while hand washing). Even after multiple wears and washes, the black is still bleeding onto the darker color during meets. It’s not awful and you don’t notice at a distance but i can tell it’s getting worse. We didn’t have this problem two years ago. We had white sleeves with a darker bottom and that darker color never bled. We get new ones next year and I really hope we don’t have black sleeves again.

I understand that some colors will bleed a little and they can’t be held responsible if a leo isn’t washed correctly and it bleeds, but as a legitimate leo company, would you not anticipate that girls will sweat as a natural part of the sport and do something to make sure your materials won’t bleed due to sweating? Especially as expensive as these leos are? With all of the problems everyone seems to be having with GK, I’m a little surprised that they haven’t lost a ton of business, at least when it comes to comp leos. Maybe they have. The ozone’s are really pretty. Are they comparable in price to GK?

I agree that GK's competition leos run smaller than their practice leos. DD had a CM last year and it was incredibly tight. I thought that maybe it was mislabeled so I compared it to some other girls leos in the same size and they were all about the same. I then compared it to the leos for sale in the gym's store and it was the same size as the GK CXS! Ridiculous! We did everything we could think of to stretch it.

I agree that GK's competition leos run smaller than their practice leos. DD had a CM last year and it was incredibly tight. I thought that maybe it was mislabeled so I compared it to some other girls leos in the same size and they were all about the same. I then compared it to the leos for sale in the gym's store and it was the same size as the GK CXS! Ridiculous! We did everything we could think of to stretch it.
This p#sses me off to no end.

I refused to take my kids leo. It was clearly the wrong size. It was a size smaller then labeled. First they tried well it’s a competition leo, they run smaller...... I told them BS, then why don’t you have 2 different size charts. Then they said they tried it on another kid and it fit fine. Like that should of settled the matter. Finally they agreed to send a new one, a size up from what I ordered, which was a tight fit last year and even tighter this year. If I kept the first one I would of had to order a new one this year, like over a half dozen kids did this year. Quite the racket for GK. 30 % increase in orders, because the make them smaller then expected and because they are special order people just s&ck it up.

Coach was beyond cranky with me. But I paid well over 200 bucks, I’m not taking something that is not what I ordered.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back