australian scoring system

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

J

jes.the.gymnast

hey all. i live in australia and did gym for 10 years and quit due to my knee. i started coaching last year and i am taking a level 2 proberly C team to comps this year. can someone give me a run down on how the scoring system works these days.
thanks jes

There are now three divisions for levels 1-3. the 'A' division are kids who will probably go on and do elite, very few clubs do this division (pretty much just the HPC, waverly, MLC and a couple of others). The majority of kids compete in B and C categories. 'B' division is for kids likely to go on and do national level 4 and 'C' division is for kids in a rec program or likely to go on and do state level 4. there are different numbers of reccomended/allowed hours each division and level are allowed to train. (this is my understanding of it all anyway!!)

They are scored/judged the same as for the internation/elite code of points.
'A' division routines have an A score of 7.00, 'B' division routines have an A score of 6.00 and 'C' division routines have an A score of 5.00. As long as they do/attempt all the skills in the routines they will recieve this start score (all execution marks are then marked out of 10).

To be eligible to compete in a certain division depends on the overall start value. I can't remember exactly what they are but since you are taking C division kids you just need to know they can do either 4 5.00 routines or 3 5.00 routines and a 6.00 routine.

I hope this has explained it all to you and you can understand my rambling!! :p Feel free to ask any questions about anything! scoring/routines/comps etc!!

Good luck with your coaching :)

hehe It is quite complicated. There are 2 scores, the A score (difficulty value) and the B score (Execution value) Both are added together to get the final score.

For Level 2 C kids their routine will have an A score of 5.00 if they do the full routine with all the skills in the correct order. The score starts at 5.0 and may drop lower for skills left out. If the gymnast leaves out a core skill (ie forgets to do their jump on beam) they will lose 0.6 from their start value. If they attempt a core skill but it doesnt meet the minimum requirements (ie handstand does not reach with in 10 degree's of vertical on floor) they will lose 0.3 from their start value. If they perform only half of a core skill they will lose 0.3 and if they do the skills out of order they will lose 0.3.

The B score (execution value) is out of 10.0 and they recieve deductions for mistakes. For small mistakes gymnasts lose 0.1 such as unpointed toes, small leg separations, small wobbles on beam, deviation from a straight line on vault.
For medium mistakes gymnasts lose 0.3 - examples - large leg separation, moderate bent knee's or bent arms, lack of height in casts, lack of split in leaps.
For large mistakes they lose 0.5 - example - hitting feet on apparatus on bars, significant bend in arms or legs.
For very large mistakes gymnasts lose 0.8 - such as a fall, hitting feet on floor on bars, 3rd run approach on vault, bars or beam.

It gets even more complicated for the higher levels.

thanks that helped alot
so whats a good score to get?

High 13's and low 14's are basically the top scoring gymnasts. If your kids are scoring above 13.5 or anything in the 14's then they are doing very well and generally are those who would be considered for a place.

Score's in the 12's to low 13's are the most common and kids scoring in this area are showing they have a good mastery of the expectations of their level and are on par with other kids of a similar level. Probably not going to place though unless it is a small division or small competition.

Scores in the 11's are also not too bad but in the lower end of average, you may see quite a few if the judging is quite hard.

Score's in the 10's are quite low and usually indicative of a child struggling on that particular apparatus.

Score's below 10 are quite rare but can happen when the kids have some major difficulties.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back