Parents Average time to get ROBHS

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Butterfly

Proud Parent
Is there an average time to get a roundoff backhand spring independently without a spot? My daughter now only needs a very tiny bit of a spot, cheering her on to get it soon. But I’m just curious what is typical?

To be honest, there is no typical time to get anything in gymnastics! It depends on so many things, and not all of them physical. The mental aspect is important. I’m pretty sure my daughter could have had her round-off bhs a full year before she did, but she wasn’t convinced she was ready. Once she decided she was ready and actually started working it, it was less than a month.

To be honest, there is no typical time to get anything in gymnastics! It depends on so many things, and not all of them physical. The mental aspect is important. I’m pretty sure my daughter could have had her round-off bhs a full year before she did, but she wasn’t convinced she was ready. Once she decided she was ready and actually started working it, it was less than a month.
I agree. Lol, Also, sometimes the COACH isn't ready for them to do it alone. OG was spotted at her first 3 meets in Old L4. At the 4th meet, she had to TELL the coach not to come on the floor because the coach would accidentally touch her every time she did.
It was about a month from one hand spot to unspotted for both OG and YG.

I think it depends on a lot of factors, how old a kid is, what their training is like, what skills they already have, what fears they might have, there really is no "average". My daughter was 8 when she started gymnastics and she got her robhs pretty quickly, within about 2 months, maybe a little less. But if she had started at the age of 6 she probably would not have gotten it so quickly because it wouldn't have been a focus at the gym. Also there are girls who took longer to get the skill who are better tumblers than my daughter so getting it quickly, or more slowly isn't really an indication of talent or future success at the sport.

There is no typical. And getting there quickly doesn’t mean a kid is in a “better place”. Getting them last doesn’t mean a kid is “not successful”.

My kid is typically last to get most skills. And when she gets them they are solid and with good form. Has always been like this. Still is at L8.

It took my DD 2 full years but at this time she was just taking a once a week rec class (which she started as a true beginner). The phase where she could do it with a spot only lasted about 6 months.

It took me about a month working them non-stop in my neighbors yard (note: I was a child of the 80’s, do NOT try this at home).

Awesome, thank you all! I think she is going on quite a while of a just barely there spot. Like 4 maybe 6 months. I’m not exactly sure. I’m thinking it’s a combo of coaches habit, and DD not deciding that it’s ‘time’ yet.

I think it depends on a lot of factors, how old a kid is, what their training is like, what skills they already have, what fears they might have, there really is no "average". My daughter was 8 when she started gymnastics and she got her robhs pretty quickly, within about 2 months, maybe a little less. But if she had started at the age of 6 she probably would not have gotten it so quickly because it wouldn't have been a focus at the gym. Also there are girls who took longer to get the skill who are better tumblers than my daughter so getting it quickly, or more slowly isn't really an indication of talent or future success at the sport.

This seems about right. My YDD just turned 6 and is on month 3 of working on RO-BHS 3 days a week. Prior to that (during meet season), her team worked on them for a few minutes weekly but it wasn't really t heir priority at that time. She's down to a "couple-finger" spot now, as are most of the 6 year olds, but most of the 7-8 year olds got it within a month of starting the uptraining.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back