Parents Awards

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

MomIdidit!

Proud Parent
At dd first meet the host gym handed out medals to first through sixth place for each event and first through sixth place overall. Is this typical or will it be different at each meet?

I have learned every meet/state/region/country does it differently.

Im in australia and my state does ribbons for 1-6 apparatus, 4-6 AA and only 1-3 AA get medals.

At states they do medals for 1-3 apparatus too.

Every meet is different.. we've had some that do just ribbons for events and AA, some that do ribbons for events and medals for AA, some that do medals for everything and some that do medals for events and trophies for AA, or trophies for top 3 event even.

Around here it is fairly common that they will award whatever it is (ribbons, medals, etc) up to 50% for events and many meets award 100% for AA (so every girl gets a ribbon, medal, etc.). There are some meets that only do 50% AA though, it really just depends on the meet organizer/meet director's choices I think.

Usually the larger invitationals have the bigger awards (trophies in AA), but that's part of why they cost more to attend!

It's different - often the meet will spell out what their medal system will be on their meet of gym web site or in the program. Most of DDs meets do 50% on all events and all around, and states is only 25% unless a tie in the final spot and then that person gets a medal too.

Different. Reason: one word - money. Awards are not cheap and the more you hand out the larger budget for awards is required.

In Quebec we tend to get medals for 1-3 per apparatus and AA. Ribbons to 6th or 8th depending on the number of girls in the group.

Were you happy with the medals system?

The norm for our comps is usually -

All Around - Trophy for 1st-3rd, and medals for 4th-6th
Apparatus - medals for 1st-3rd and ribbons for 4th-6th

Each division can have well over 100 girls so most do not receive anything.

The norm for our comps is usually -

All Around - Trophy for 1st-3rd, and medals for 4th-6th
Apparatus - medals for 1st-3rd and ribbons for 4th-6th

Each division can have well over 100 girls so most do not receive anything.

Wow! What state are you in? I guessing NSW? The most I have ever seen in an award group over here is 25. DD had 14 in her group at states!

I find it so interesting how different the award set up is all over. MeetDirector...it makes sense it comes down to money.

Bog...since it was DD first meet we didn't know what to expect. They called DD name five times since she placed in all events and took 4th AA. it really happened so fast and we didn't have any expectations.

I did however feel horrible for two girls on the team that did not earn any medal. The girls and parents went out to lunch after the meet together and DD just left her medals in the car and stated she felt bad for her teammates that didn't get anything so she will keep the medals in the car. At that moment, I was more proud of her for being such an awesome teammate and a sensitive 7 year old then any of the medals she earned. :)

Sweet kid, nice to see that team spirit in a little one.

We definitely had our turn at having lots of medals and having no medals.

I have been her big bros soccer coach for years so luckily she is all about the team spirit.....I will do my best to make sure it continues.

I know all the girls will have good and bad days, it was just so eye opening and blantant with some earning and some getting nothing.

So the team took second place and I thought it was interesting that each girl did not receive a ribbon or something, that would have made it easier for those two girls I'm sure. But as MeetDirector posted....it comes down to money.

Reactions: sce
If you have 100 kids in a session that must take a very long time unless you have some special competition formats like in the US.

Even with our formats, the cap is 96 for compulsory in the continuous formats, 85 or so for mixed sessions (so compulsory and optionals), and 70something for just optionals (after compulsory the exact number gets hazy to me because those sessions are less likely out so you don't usually worry about them. Someone else probably has the exact numbers, but nothing is over 96 in a session and that's with two sets of equipment.

Usually in a full compulsory session, there will be 3-4 age divisions and they go out roughly a third to half. It takes half hour to 45 minutes for awards (really depends on how organized the awards is, and if they have score printouts ready for the announcer etc). Occasionally there are meets that call everyone but that's pretty unusual.

But actually I kind of think that sometimes the way they do it in the other countries where dozens of girls don't receive anything would be easier for the kids than here where the spread of awards often makes it so just a few kids (like the two in momididit's story) don't get anything while the vast majority gets called for some event. So I actually lean towards going out less.

Wow! What state are you in? I guessing NSW? The most I have ever seen in an award group over here is 25. DD had 14 in her group at states!

I am in QLD. 25 would be considered very small for an award group at most of our comps. Particularly in levels 3 and 4.

At state clubs the divisions are huge, States has improved because they have broken the age divisions down further in the last two years, but the popular ages are still very big.

If you have 100 kids in a session that must take a very long time unless you have some special competition formats like in the US.

This number would not be in the same session. What they do is say have all the level 4 sessions, which might be as few as 2 sessions, or there might be 4 or 5 at big comps like State clubs. Then when all the sessions are done all the level 4 gymnasts would come back for awards. You always hope the kids will be in the last session so you don't have to make another trip.

This even happens with MAG at the bigger comps. Our boys will compete in the morning then have to go back at night when everyone in their division is done for awards.

This number would not be in the same session. What they do is say have all the level 4 sessions, which might be as few as 2 sessions, or there might be 4 or 5 at big comps like State clubs. Then when all the sessions are done all the level 4 gymnasts would come back for awards. You always hope the kids will be in the last session so you don't have to make another trip.

This even happens with MAG at the bigger comps. Our boys will compete in the morning then have to go back at night when everyone in their division is done for awards.
NSW here and yes usually 25-40 per session (6-10 per rotation, usually on the higher side, if its a big comp with two sets of apparatus double that but sometimes that will be two different levels/age divisions just to eek things out, lol. ) and at the larger competitions (eg states) there will be several sessions with awards at the end. And no one wants to get the 7am session with awards at 9pm at night! (lower levels, numbers drop level 7/8 and up so more reasonable, but still several sessions).
Award are 1-6.
Invitationals they usually keep to the lower end with awards done for just that session. So much nicer for everyone.

Wow that's crazy! What do you do if you don't live near the venue?! Never going to complain about my state again...

That is a lot! The biggest group my daughter has competed against was 32 or 33, I believe. 100?!? Wow!

Wow that's crazy! What do you do if you don't live near the venue?! Never going to complain about my state again...

These comps attract gymnasts from all over the state. Our state is two and half times the size of Texas. So many people travel for these competitions. They might be staying near by and do some site seeing in between. Some kids stay and watch through the sessions, especially if they are in the second last session. Others go away for lunch and swim and come back.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back