B Skills for Level 8 beam

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gym monkeys mom

Proud Parent
Ok so just wondering if you have any good ideas about B level skills for level 8 beam routines.

DD has 3 solid "b" skills BHS, BHS, and 3/4 jump needs a 4th and is unsure what to do. Our gyms really decent beam coach is at college untill December so HC is doing it. Beam is really not his thing.

So and ideas would help. DD is comfortable working through the order and stuff just thought you guys may have some fresh suggestions. Seems after awhile the gyms beams all look similar. LOL

Thanks for the help:eek:

Well, I don't know many "B" skills, I know a press mount is one, as is a RO, and that could be connected to her dismount. My daughter says a straddle jump is as well, but that's news to me, lol.

I hope someone else has some more suggestions for you:)

How is her Switch Leap? That is a B on Beam in L8.

What about a B dismount? I think a full off is a B... that might be an option for her since she is a strong tumbler.

I highly recommend a split jump or a straddle jump, as she is required to have a 180 degree leap or jump, so why not kill two birds with one stone? She should also be careful that her backhandsprings are completely connected as if they are not, she won't be receiving a value part (b) for the second one. There is a new rule this year that backward "slow" connections are considered broken...so something that would have been considered connected last year, with a rhythm deduction, will be broken this year.

Thanks Gympanda!! and everyone else. I beleive she cant do a straddle jump because it hurts and old injury to her hip flexors.

Her BHS BHS is good an connected and her BWO BHW was way disconnected and besieds her BWO are ugly. But I still love her :)

I think she decided to add a switch leap they are ok and she is working them.

But do you mean split leap or is there a split jump also? Sorry for being uninformed sometimes.

We have a judge coming in Novemebr so that should help solve some issues she has been having.

Her brain finally seems to have caught up with her skills because she is thinking through things and really focusing.

Thanks for ideas. Anymore are welcome

Split jump is a B and a split leap is an A. There is a split jump in both the L5 & L6 routine, so it is a skill she knows how to do!

Her switch leap will also fullfil her 180 degree leap or jump requirement...as long as she gets to the correct angle.

Switch leap is a C counted as a B at level 8
Pike Jump
3/2 toe turn
Front walk over
Tuck Jump 1/2 turn
Just to name a few of the easy ones.
Most of our girls use a Switch leap as long as they get the first leg to 40 degrees before switching.

Tumble this way and that way.

She needs to tumble backwards (required) and she does but does she tumble forwards or sideways? At Lvl 8 and above you need to have a front or side tumbling skill in addition to backwards. Round-offs are Bs and side ways and front walk overs and front handsprings also happen to B elements as well.

She needs to tumble backwards (required) and she does but does she tumble forwards or sideways? At Lvl 8 and above you need to have a front or side tumbling skill in addition to backwards. Round-offs are Bs and side ways and front walk overs and front handsprings also happen to B elements as well.

Tumbling backwards and forwards/sideways is not a requirement. It is a very small compositional deduction.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back