Parents Babying your DD?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

T

Tara

Do you have any mothers in your gym that like to "baby" their DD? We have this certain mom who is completely psycho. She always sits alone, never really talks to anyone else at meets or practices. Her child is 8 years old and is perfectly fine health wise. Whenever her DD comes to get a drink, her mom will run over to her and pick her up and almost rock her. Her DD loves it. Every level 4 is trying not to let out giggles, even the coaches! My DD was telling me that her coach was playing around with this girl, her mom picked her up and yelled at he coach she was embarrassing her daughter! In front of all the kids, parents, and coaches. The other moms and I find it funny but weird to watch.

that is kind of funny!

I dont know how you can keep a straight face??

I cant imagine what that Mom will do that first time DD struggles with a skill! I have had to hold back my tears when I see DD frustrated or crying!

that is kind of funny!

I dont know how you can keep a straight face??

I cant imagine what that Mom will do that first time DD struggles with a skill! I have had to hold back my tears when I see DD frustrated or crying!

I can't!! The other moms and I are struggling to hold back giggles. Actually, when she was not making her back handspring( hit her head) her mom would actually come out onto the floor and take her into the bathroom and they would cry together. Weird huh?

I have to admit I've given a quick hi-five, hug or couple words to my DD if I happen to be at practice but I'm not that bad! I am firm believer that at practice time is not time for mommy daughter intervention, it is time for relationship with coach and team. I trust the coaches with my DD & I think my DD does better when I am not there anyway. Gymnatics is hard enough without the added distraction of me watching.

We also have a crazy mom. Not as weird as yours (LOL) but she sits and watches DD every move and calls things out to her in the middle of routines when she messes up! You can actually hear her talking the whole time. She compares girls too & makes sure she tells us when our DD's mess up, like we are going to do something...hello...it is practice! We giggle too...it's entertaining at times but we vow not to sit near her at competitions.

I have to admit I've given a quick hi-five, hug or couple words to my DD if I happen to be at practice but I'm not that bad! I am firm believer that at practice time is not time for mommy daughter intervention, it is time for relationship with coach and team. I trust the coaches with my DD & I think my DD does better when I am not there anyway. Gymnatics is hard enough without the added distraction of me watching.

We also have a crazy mom. Not as weird as yours (LOL) but she sits and watches DD every move and calls things out to her in the middle of routines when she messes up! You can actually hear her talking the whole time. She compares girls too & makes sure she tells us when our DD's mess up, like we are going to do something...hello...it is practice! We giggle too...it's entertaining at times but we vow not to sit near her at competitions.

Oh of course! When DD got her kip I was bouncing off the walls happy! I think every mother always gives their DD hi fives and such. I can't see a reason not too, but I really wonder who invented crazy parents.

Are you sure we don't go to the same gym, lol. We all have a few crazy moms, but I think Tara just created a new category of creepy-crazy.

Are you sure we don't go to the same gym, lol. We all have a few crazy moms, but I think Tara just created a new category of creepy-crazy.

After a while it is just so funny to watch. She thinks that the gym is wired around her. I really think if I were her DD, I would be super embarrassed in front of my teammates and coaches. Instead she is just taking it all in:confused::rolleyes:

Wow lol. I bet DD is a totally different girl around her coach(es?). Is she an only child? Is there some history of health issues or anything that might make mom treat her like that? I knew a mom once that acted like that to a lesser degree after she had a tumor removed. She made fun of herself and wasn't standoffish or shy about it though.

I think the weirdest part of the parent acting like that is how she doesn't allow anyone else close to her daughter. Coaches, team members, and the other parents are there to celebrate the kids' accomplishments and efforts as well! Though maybe not by rocking and singing a lullaby lol.

I also High - Five my DD and some of her teammates too when they get a new skill. Some of us parents have been known to hug and even cry when a LONG awaited skill is finally achieved.

I did have a mom last week who yelled to her 4 yr old during the preschool class the whole time on how she wanted to see straight legs and pointed toes. When we took them out to the tumble track in the big gym she had her two yr old doing leg ups on a wall bar :yikes:

I also High - Five my DD and some of her teammates too when they get a new skill. Some of us parents have been known to hug and even cry when a LONG awaited skill is finally achieved.

I did have a mom last week who yelled to her 4 yr old during the preschool class the whole time on how she wanted to see straight legs and pointed toes. When we took them out to the tumble track in the big gym she had her two yr old doing leg ups on a wall bar :yikes:

:eek::eek: I feel so bad for those kids who have those types of moms. I really wonder what they will be like when they are older.

Linsul- The mother nor child has any conditions. Except for the Crazymomphobia:D

Linsul- The mother nor child has any conditions. Except for the Crazymomphobia:D

I say we all join together, find a cure for that, and then buy an island off the coast of Greece with our riches for the non-crazies to play and have fun!

I say we all join together, find a cure for that, and then buy an island off the coast of Greece with our riches for the non-crazies to play and have fun!

Ahh....I am so with you!:goodvibes::meditate:

LOL No crazy ladies, yet. We only have 3 mommas(4 girls) in my dd class. I do have one momma that is already thinking about college and her kid is 4 yrs old!!!

One of the girls is always crying in class and tells the instructor "no" all the time. The mom never says anything to her dd even when the coach looks at her for help.

Last edited:
Do you have any mothers in your gym that like to "baby" their DD? We have this certain mom who is completely psycho. She always sits alone, never really talks to anyone else at meets or practices. Her child is 8 years old and is perfectly fine health wise. Whenever her DD comes to get a drink, her mom will run over to her and pick her up and almost rock her. Her DD loves it. Every level 4 is trying not to let out giggles, even the coaches! My DD was telling me that her coach was playing around with this girl, her mom picked her up and yelled at he coach she was embarrassing her daughter! In front of all the kids, parents, and coaches. The other moms and I find it funny but weird to watch.

I'm sorry, but, am I missing something? :rotfl:This is what a completely psycho mom would do? I just can't stop laughing... So this mom avoids hanging out with the gossipy mom club & OMG, she HUGGED her dd IN FRONT OF OTHER PEOPLE! :rotfl: Your dd told you a story, and of course, I am certain she knows the entire story LOL.

ok this is what I have to say about psycho mom, KUDOS to this mom for cherishing every second with her dd! Shame on any parents that can actually agree that this mom is crazy or "psycho". I don't know about you guys, but I MISS my dd when she is at the gym. Maybe this mom cherishes her dd. And she is only 8? She IS still a baby... Baby your baby? Hopefully so! I believe in seizing the moment, maybe these are the moms moments. & The little girl loves this... who cares what anyone else think or says.

Last edited:
I watch almost all of my DD's practices. When she comes out for water, I ask her how it's going and if she's having fun and if she's doing okay. Maybe I'm crazy, too, but it's not going to change anything. I love watching practices and I love my baby girl more than all the world and I love that we share this (among other things) together. So, if that's crazy, okay....

ROTFLMAO,

I cherish plenty of time with my kids but not in the middle of practice. I doubt my 7 yr old would even allow me to "rock" her like a baby in the middle of it, and I am not sure how coaches feel, but I doubt they enjoy being yelled at in front of their team and the whole gym by an adult who should have known better & requested a discussion in private. And, all the 8 yr olds we have on our team are doing L5 and don't even want their moms to watch practice anymore. Yup, I'll stick to the psycho mom assumption.

Darn, I'm a psycho mom.....I would never interrupt practice but she sits on my lap before practice while she waits. She also runs up to the parent window and gives thumbs up or gets my attention to see her do something. I get upset that I can't go to her practice more often, I only get to go twice a month. So when I do go I sit for the whole time she is there and watch. I just stopped doing it with my 10 year old, she finally asked me to go shopping during her swimming practice.
There is a huge difference between loving the daylights out of your kid and being disrespectful to the whole gym.

Liz
:nurse:

I think there is a difference between watching all of the practices, your kid sitting on your lap prior to practice, high 5's etc and Rocking an 8yr old like a baby (if she got hurt that is one thing but just for coming out to get water ? )

I LOVE my DD. I watch as much of practice as I can. She will pull me out to the gym (literally) if she gets a new skill so I can watch. I have often given her a high-5 when she comes out for water.

What I do not do is correct her ( I am not her coach) or baby her (at practice) - there are appropriate times to rock your 8yr old like a baby ( sick, scared, hurt...) but there are also times not to.

I miss my kids when they are at school or at a friends house, I don't think that or hugs classify anyone as a 'psycho mom' I think it is the rocking and yelling @ the coach that they were embarassing her dd for doing almost exactly what she does is what puts this mom over the edge.

could be wrong.

I will say that my DD would not let me rock her, certainly not at practice but not really ever (barring injury, sadness, etc). She does want hugs and celebration when she gets a tough skill or does particularly well. That said, my DD is 6 years old. When she's 8, she may want to pretend she doesn't know me. :rolleyes:

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back