WAG Back Extension on Beam?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

We have a gymnast using the handstand to back extension roll, as seen in Kayla's youtube video. It's just lovely to watch! Several others in our gym are trying it, too. They use a sting mat on the floor beam (and higher beams, too) when first learning it, to help practice be more comfortable.

My DD had fear issues with BWO on the beam, did them for a few months, then just stopped. So for level 6 she did back extension roll. We also had a girl with a back injury who could not do BWO do the back extension roll, and also one with poor shoulder flexability.

I did a back extension in my one level 6 meet, and in level 7! My shoulders weren't very flexible, and BWO's were scary to me. Judges used to come up to my coach after meets and tell them how lovely it was to see it, and how different it was. One other girl at my gym did it as well.

The only issue was my hands always landed on my hair, and it would rip my ponytail out of place. Solved that by putting my hair in a braid on beam.

Back in the 80's Kathy Johnson did two back extension rolls in a row into a bh on beam. Gorgeous!! I believe she won an olympic bronze medal on beam if my memory is correct.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back