WAG Back extension roll on beam

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymmomtotwo

Proud Parent
Are two of these connected in a row worth anything? DD has been doing these in combination as well as a handstand back extension roll combo. She does both passes well. She will be competing the backhandspring not in combo with anything. She is training 7. Just curious what these things are worth.

Huh. I have no idea but it sure would be something cool and different to see in L7! So many routines look exactly the same...yawn...

It's actually an acro series, and 2 "b" skills. :D

And quite unusual.
Yep to all. Can use the handstand/back extension for series at 7(or 2 extensions) and then could do back extension/back handspring for series at 8(good alternative to back walkover/back handspring if can't do bhs/bhs).

It's actually an acro series, and 2 "b" skills. :D

And quite unusual.
Back extension roll is only a B if it is to a handstand... And i am not sure if a hold is required to get the B credit, but a hold would break the connection... So maybe an A-B series?? So it can vary.

Back extension roll is only a B if it is to a handstand... And i am not sure if a hold is required to get the B credit, but a hold would break the connection... So maybe an A-B series?? So it can vary.
Back extension roll does not require hold. And, obviously, a back extension roll has to hit handstand since the definition of a back extension roll is a roll backward to handstand(that's like saying a handstand forward roll has to hit handstand) otherwise they are just a backward roll or a forward roll.

Would a hold break the connection? If a BWO is held before the next skill it doesn't break the connection...not sure why the same principle wouldn't apply to a BER.

Would a hold break the connection? If a BWO is held before the next skill it doesn't break the connection...not sure why the same principle wouldn't apply to a BER.
I have never seen a BWO held... But I know that, at least around here, a slow connection often doesn't get connection credit... And a 2 second pause between skills doesn't ever get the connection credit. Maybe we really do just have mean judges, lol.

Back extension roll does not require hold. And, obviously, a back extension roll has to hit handstand since the definition of a back extension roll is a roll backward to handstand(that's like saying a handstand forward roll has to hit handstand) otherwise they are just a backward roll or a forward roll.
There is also a back extension roll to push up position... And, in the code of points, on beam, it isn't called a back extension roll... It is a backward roll (A) or backward roll to handstand (B) ... and on the backward roll, hands and ending are optional.
But since no hold is required, that is great :)

I have never seen a BWO held... But I know that, at least around here, a slow connection often doesn't get connection credit... And a 2 second pause between skills doesn't ever get the connection credit. Maybe we really do just have mean judges, lol.

Holding the backwalkover or the back roll to handstand will not break a backward acro connection on beam. The connection piece (part between skills) cannot be slow to receive credit for a backward connection, but how fast the skills itself goes (assuming the technique is still correct) does not matter.

All that being said...if I see a backwalkover that appears to get stuck in the middle I'm probably taking a dynamics or rhythm deduction.

Are two of these connected in a row worth anything? DD has been doing these in combination as well as a handstand back extension roll combo. She does both passes well. She will be competing the backhandspring not in combo with anything. She is training 7. Just curious what these things are worth.

Does she turn around between the two? Looking for a combination that is not BWO... but I can't picture doing two BERs in a row without going right off the beam...

Does she turn around between the two? Looking for a combination that is not BWO... but I can't picture doing two BERs in a row without going right off the beam...
She is 9, so pretty small still, so she doesnt go off the end. :)No she doesn't turn around. Shannon Miller used to do something similar, but DD doesn't straddle down, but lands on her feet, and goes right into the next one. It's cool,but wasn't sure whether it qualified as anything. I didn't know it was a B skill. Thanks to all for the info.

Look up Shannon Milker's routines. She connected 2 back extension rolls beautifully.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back